News:

• May 10, 2024, 12:16:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 570 Electric Profile  (Read 20342 times)

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: 570 Electric Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2009, 10:12:50 AM »
Congratulations Crist!!! Best of luck to you and your family. I'm probably the baby out here so I have a few years to wait for that pleasure.
William
AMA 98010

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2009, 06:39:58 PM »
OK, time to let everyone in on my motor mount.  The motor is front mounted and rear supported.  I made the mounts from 2024-T3 .063 aircraft grade aluminum.  The rear is supported by a flanged bearing that is press fit into the rear support.  Now these are the prototypes and I'll make another set that on the front mount the motor will sit down closer to the fuselage about 1/16 or so, do away with the cooling hole by the wires and raise the other cooling hole slightly to align with the one on the motor.  I'll also use some socket head bolts to hold the motor to the front mount.  I haven't checked how much drag the extra bearing puts on the system, but I will when I do the final assembly.  The mounts weigh just 8 grams and the motor is very rigid.  More so than just front mounting it.  Enjoy the pics.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2009, 07:48:23 AM »
Great stuff Crist.  The mounting idea is right on the money.  I really can't wait to see how this thing goes. 

By the way, I work in sheet a metal fabrication company and when you get a design you like, we have (2) lasers and (4) press brakes.  I think an electric mounting system for a profile would be a very marketable.  Your idea is right on.

We are desperately awaiting liftoff!! 

Take care!!   
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Alan Hahn

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2009, 08:36:54 AM »
That is a sweet mount!

And congratulations on being a GrandDad.

However it does sound like you are becoming a little wimpy---slowing down your building and all. TreeTown "legend" Jerry "Who" Meyer, when told by his daughter of her upcoming marriage,  told her "great, but I'll at the NATS!".  LL~

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2009, 08:37:35 AM »
Crist,
I like your mounting idea, right along the lines I have been thinking too. Of course being me, I am thinking the same Idea only backwards,, though after seeing how clean your installation is. I may be changing my mind on that one too. OBTW I like the prop!
I should be getting some flights in this weekend, making a trip to the west side to drop of my grandaughter, I have the XOAR all mounted up on my profile for some test time.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2009, 09:12:55 AM »
Great stuff Crist.  The mounting idea is right on the money.  I really can't wait to see how this thing goes. 

By the way, I work in sheet a metal fabrication company and when you get a design you like, we have (2) lasers and (4) press brakes.  I think an electric mounting system for a profile would be a very marketable.  Your idea is right on.

We are desperately awaiting liftoff!! 

Take care!!   

Put me down for two - 1 with a 4mm ID bearing and one with a 5mm ID.  Invoice me through Paypal or send me a couple of prototypes to test.  TIA ---

Fantastic bit of design, Crist.  And congrats on the new family member -- we were just presented with our 8th grandson last week, to go along with our 3 grand-daughters - I haven't had him out to the field yet, but soon -- very soon.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2009, 08:12:19 PM »
Hey Crist, the plane is looking good, can't wait to see it out at Mt Joy. Oh... BTW remember not to let the Grandkids play with Sticks, 2X4's 2X2's etc around the planes  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~  And congrats on the new one.
Leester
ama 830538

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2009, 09:43:37 PM »
Latest update.  The pushrod cover and scoop are on.  The final version of the motor mount has been fabricated and works very well.  I have to cover the elevators, and apply the "ink" lines on the flaps and elevators, hinge the elevators, then mount the motor and electronics.  Install the controls and do final set up.  Getting real close.

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2009, 09:50:33 PM »
Crist,
What is the function on the inboard scoop? Grab up any escaping electrons and put them back into the battery?

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2009, 10:02:33 PM »
It prevents the spinner from "hanging" over the inboard side of the profile.  y1
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2009, 09:18:14 PM »
Well guys, not yet.  Very close though.  Got the motor, esc, and timer mounted.  All that's left is to "ink" the control surfaces and hook up the controls, and seal the flap and elevator hinge gaps.  I'm not really satisfied with using velcro mounting the ESC.  I'm thinking of using the strong "velcro" that is more like a plastic.  Any ideas are welcome.  It looks like it will just be under 50 ounces and a balance at 24%.  If I want the CG forward, I'll use a lighter set of elevators and end up with a lighter airplane.  Tomorrow I'll post a set of pictures of the completed airplane.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2009, 06:24:50 AM »
Hi Crist:

Great job on the profile. It looks like a bunch of us had pretty much the same mounting idea concurently. I think the metal mount you came up with is ideal for the profile solution, but in a full-bodied ship a lighter version of this idea can be used. Dean Pappas and I came up with the mount that is in the attached photo; it is made entirely of plywood and we have been testing it in a mockup for several weeks. It is flawless and supports both ends of the motor.

We are all getting closer to optimizing this electric thing!

Later - Bob Hunt 

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2009, 08:21:40 AM »
Bob,
I'll let everybody know how it works out after flying it.  Your idea for a full bodied version looks good.  Yeah, ECL just keeps on getting better!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2009, 08:46:44 PM »
It's ready to go....almost!  I have finished it except I want to put on the lighter elevators.  They are 1/2 ounce lighter.  With the heavier elevators, as shown in the pics, it weighs 50 ounces almost exactly, 1418 grams.  That's with a 1 ounce of tip weight.  Right now it balances right at 25% and with the lighter elevators it will balance at 22% and weigh 49 1/2 ounces.  I want to start out with the forward CG then work back.  The specs are:
570 sq in
54 WS
27% tail volume
Scorpion SII-3020-890 front mounted and rear bearing supported
PolyNoOne 4S2P 3400mah battery
Castle Creations Phoenix 45A ESC
JMP-2 timer
Scorpion 2" spinner
Xoar 12 x 5 E Prop
Foam wing
All Monokote finish
Nelson Paints for touch up
4" bellcrank set forward of the CG
Ball link and carbon fiber pushrods
Set up for a Rabe Rudder or fixed "adjustable" rudder

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2009, 10:16:30 PM »
I also found some heavy duty "velcro" to hold down the ESC.  It is called 3M Dual Lock.  It's  low profile and the part number is SJ-4570.  I got a yard off of eBay.  I'll let everyone know how well it works out.  The engaged thichness is like a 1/10 of an inch!

http://www3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/electronics_mfg/esm/node_TZHTRGXH0Xbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_DPB1Q1MJ7Nge/gvel_LPQT5P05BQgl/theme_us_electronicsesm_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

Search eBay for SJ-4570 Dual Lock and you'll find where I bought a yard for $8 shipped.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2009, 05:29:39 AM »
Good luck with the plane!!! It really looks great. I'm looking forward to hearing how it flys!!! Maybe you will do better than me and not have to wait so long to get it flying. The NYC weather just wont cooperate. Next week I will be away so who knows when for me? Let us know how those batteries work out. I have been following the thread on RC Groups and they look promising.
AMA 98010

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2009, 06:14:35 AM »
Crist , be sure and give us a ring when you bring it to Mt. Joy, as long as I'm not working I'll come out. Looks real good

Oh where did you get the spinner and prop ??
Leester
ama 830538

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2009, 11:26:38 AM »
I will Lee.  Maybe Saturday early.

I got them from RC Dude

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/StoreFront
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2009, 10:02:41 PM »
Looks like Saturday will be test flight day!  A full report to follow.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
Well Saturday it flew!  The motor mounts worked very well.  My Eagle Tree FDR wouldn't download any data so I don't have any flight graphs to show.  When I got home I ended up reloading the software and it's working now.  So next time out I'll have some graphs.  Here are some numbers from what I could get from yesterday.  The battery mah was what the charger put back in.

Xoar prop 12 x 5
10600 rpm
5.4 laps
60 foot lines eye to eye
1942mah
The rpms are too high figuring that max we want to be about 75% (9600) of max rpms (12,800).  

Xoar Prop  12 x 6
9600 rpm
5.1+ laps
60 foot lines eye to eye
2521mah
2412mah
2388mah
2022mah

The 2022mah was the last flight of the day and I'm not sure why it was so low.  The wind was the calmest of all the flights too!  I'll do some more recording next time out.

Line tension was excellent with the 12 x 6 prop and very good with the 12 x 5 prop.  I didn't get the chance to try the APCE 12 x 6 prop up against the Xoar 12 x 6 but will next time out.  If the APCE 12 x 6 works well, then I'll try the reverse rotation version.

Spent most of my energies working on getting the airplane trimmed out and the way I want it to feel.  Looks like I have plenty of power and battery to spare.

We're on our way!

PS Dean,
Looks like your formula of 50 ounces X .7 = 35 / 14.8 volts = 2.4ah or 2400mah is right on the money.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:02:13 AM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2009, 01:31:38 PM »
Crist,
great news, glad shes in the air. I can hardly wait to see a back to back with the APC. Maybe on the last flight your motor reached the broken in point like a glow motor when the fuel economy comes in? lol,,,, LL~

Keep us posted, very interesting project to be sure.
alas  my elect situation is momentarily stalled trying to get ready for next weekends contest... soon to continue
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2009, 01:53:16 PM »
Looks good in the air Crist. Also looks real close to the hangar, Floyd takes good pics. Wish I could have made it.
Leester
ama 830538

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2009, 02:13:41 PM »
Lee,
Looks like Wednesday evening will be the next good day for flying.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2009, 03:16:42 PM »
I also found some heavy duty "velcro" to hold down the ESC.  It is called 3M Dual Lock.  It's  low profile and the part number is SJ-4570.  I got a yard off of eBay.  I'll let everyone know how well it works out.  The engaged thichness is like a 1/10 of an inch!

<snip>
Search eBay for SJ-4570 Dual Lock and you'll find where I bought a yard for $8 shipped.

Well the Dual Lock worked very well in regards to not being so wobbly.  It worked quite well.  I'm still looking for something that has more grip to try my idea for a one handed disconnect.  Might just have to build a low profile "shelf" and zip tie it in place.

4-19-2009 Update:
I did build a shelf to mount the ESC.  It consists of a piece od 1/16 birch ply about 1 (h) x 1 1/2 (w) with 1/16 basswood on the backside with 3/16 gaps for the tie straps.  Touched it up with Nelson Paints and now the ESC is mounted firmly.  Do you think I should put a thin piece of foam between the ESC and shelf for some vibration dampening?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 09:36:56 PM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2009, 07:19:47 PM »
Congrat's Crist!!  Glad you were able to get her airborne.  So now that you have it trimmed, how does she fly?   LL~ LL~

I am glad to here that the Xoar props worked out.  It's nice to know that we have some more OTC options for electris stunt.  I look forward to seeing the Eagle tree data.

Take Care!!
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2009, 09:56:17 AM »
Even though I am away,I made it to a PC today and have to say congratulations on you successful first flights. How did those PolyNoOne batteries feel. I know you didn't log these flights.
AMA 98010

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2009, 10:29:24 AM »
Way to go Crist!  Thanks for posting the data that you have so far.  H^^  CLP** BW@

Looking forward to seeing the 570 do its thing.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2009, 10:33:45 AM »
Even though I am away,I made it to a PC today and have to say congratulations on you successful first flights. How did those PolyNoOne batteries feel. I know you didn't log these flights.

Barely warm at all.

Thanks William, Archie, and Dennis.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2009, 02:02:48 PM »
Barely warm at all.

Thanks William, Archie, and Dennis.

Crist,

I bet you can attribute your good efficiency to that V2 Scorpion motor!  y1

I really do like your motor mount. How hard was it to mount so that the rear (I think) bearing didn't bind--I know you would drill the back holes after tightening down the front mount with motor in it, but did you need to shim the height at all?

Alan

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2009, 06:01:44 PM »
Alan,
Yeah, the new V2 could be the reason.  So far I like it.  Runs very smooth.

I designed the front mount to have the center of the shaft even with the outboard edge of the fuselage.  The aft mount is 1/16 "into" the fuselage thus giving me 2 degrees of right thrust.  Also the center of the rear bearing is 1/32 high giving me 1 degree of down thrust.  I mounted the front mount at an angle that was even with the front nose ring thus giving me the 1 degree down thrust.  Then I added the aft mount and it just barely touched the fuselage.  I lined up the mount for the required down thrust and tweaked the mounts for the right thrust and it tightened down just fine.  I ran the motor with no prop and monitored the current draw then I loosened the aft mount and saw no change in current draw.  Tightened the mount and the same thing.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2009, 10:17:42 AM »
Well Saturday it flew!  The motor mounts worked very well.  My Eagle Tree FDR wouldn't download any data so I don't have any flight graphs to show. 
<snip>......

Xoar Prop  12 x 6
9600 rpm
5.1+ laps
60 foot lines eye to eye
2521mah
2412mah
2388mah
2022mah

The 2022mah was the last flight of the day and I'm not sure why it was so low.  The wind was the calmest of all the flights too!  I'll do some more recording next time out.
.......<snip>

Crist,

Out of curiosity, were the packs all from the same manufacturer? The reason I ask is that a pack with lower internal resistance will need less total current than one with a higher resistance. The reason is of course the output voltage at the battery plug will be higher, and so you will get the same watts at a lower output current.

Also maybe you made a flight adjustment (leadouts for example) which may have aerodynamically cleaned up the plane.

Hope the Eagletree works next time. Same thing happened to me last year, for some reason the EagleTree refused to take data on one of my early flights with the Nobler.

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2009, 11:09:36 AM »
Alan,
Yes, from PolyNoOne.  I did make a leadout adjustment but using another pack.  I have a total of just 2 cycles on each pack so far.  I'll keep my eye them to see if any of the batteries perfrom better than the others.  Wednesday evening is the next flying day.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2009, 04:07:31 PM »
Glad to hear it, Crist!
take care,
  Dean
Dean Pappas

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2009, 09:40:05 PM »
OK guys, got out tonight and did some more prop testing.  The Eagle Tree performed well.  I tested 3 props dialed in to give me @5.2 sec laps.  I tested them flying about 70 seconds each time.  They were:
Xoar 12x6 428ma  @350W
APCE 12x6 377ma  @300W
RSM 12x5.5  419ma  @360W

Here is each graph:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:01:59 PM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2009, 08:11:23 AM »
Wow, thats really nice data.

Also it looks like your total power needs for the last flight with the RSM prop are down in the 2200mAHr range--like the last flight from the previous outing.

The APC appears to win the level flight power efficiency of the three props. What is also interesting is that it is running 1k rpm down (8600) from the XOAR 12-6 prop (9600) for the same lap time. Now it would be interesting to see how you think it feels in the maneuvers compared to the XOAR (or the RSM for that matter). That of course is subjective, but I trust your opinion!

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2009, 10:35:32 AM »
Alan,
I'll need to do more testing.  The APCE 12x6 is definately has a higher "effective' pitch than 6 by evidence it runs at a lower rpm for the same 5.2 sec lap.  The RSM prop is very good!  I thought that it would get your attention!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2009, 02:19:36 PM »
Alan,
I'll need to do more testing.  The APCE 12x6 is definately has a higher "effective' pitch than 6 by evidence it runs at a lower rpm for the same 5.2 sec lap.  The RSM prop is very good!  I thought that it would get your attention!

Yes but it is the most power hungry of the lot!

I know the APC 12-6 effective pitch is higher than 6 inches. I fly at 54 mph with my Nobler with the APC12-6 at 8000 rpm. The "pitch speed" at 8000 rpm is 45 mph!. That's why it pays sometimes to ignore what is on the prop! I haven't actually tried to measure the "pitch" with my Prather gauge. I just assumed it has something to do with the airfoil of the prop.

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2009, 07:35:42 PM »
I ordered a couple of 13 x 6 Xoar props to see how they will do.  I like the 9600 rpm because it is 75% of max rpm.  Pretty close to where we want to run our motors.... right?  I might end up trimming them down to get the total current draw to where I want it.  About 2600 to 2700mah.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 02:32:12 PM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2009, 07:49:48 AM »
I ordered a couple of 13 x 6 Xoar props to how they will do.  I like the 9600 rpm because it is 75% of max rpm.  Pretty close to where we want to run our motors.... right?  I might end up trimming them down to get the total current draw to where I want it.  About 2600 to 2700mah.

Well there are two things. The 75% comes from the fact that you want power in the overheads so you need to have some leeway there. Also you need to include the fact that the battery is at a lower voltage at the end of the flight, when you are doing the overhead 8 and clover. I was never sure what people are using for the battery voltage when they make that calculation (I actually use the nominal 3.7V/cell I think).

Secondly, if you are using much less than the 75%, you begin to abuse your battery a bit because it means it is supplying current for not much over 1/2 the total PWM update period.

With regard for the first point, one thing to note is that 75% throttle isn't 75% power, more like 56% available power, since not only is the effective voltage ~75%, but also the current flowing, so the product of the two (=power) is closer to 56% (this is rough and not exact because of other factors). Since I need about 30% extra power in the overheads, I think I could actually use a larger # than 80%. But usually this advice is given to people just starting in electric, and it is always better to err on the side of being conservative than near the cutting edge (where sometimes you end up bleeding--and that makes bad press if it happens to a newbie!)

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2009, 08:25:34 AM »
Alan,
The 75% number came from a post a while ago I think from Dean explaining ECL systems.  He said, if I remember right, that he and Bob Hunt kept increasing the the motor rpm till about 75% showed to be the most efficient.  When I talk about 75%, I mean 75% of max rpm figuring the KV and battery voltage.  With a KV motor of 890 and a 4S battery voltage of 14.4 came out to 9612.  That's what I'm shooting for.  Then running the 9600 rpm I'll adjust the prop to bring up the total mah used to 2600-2700mah.

From what I have gathered from reading some other forums, when running at 75% rpm, the amp draw is really about 60% of the continuous amp rating.  The 3020-890 is rated at 45 amps continuous and at 75% rpm will be giving me about 28 amps.  These numbers all fall within where I want to run my setup.   y1
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2009, 12:22:35 PM »
Crist,
You are right. 75% of the no-load rpm isn't 75% throttle (duh.....). BTW, my 75% rpm point is 9770 rpm, and I fly at 8000. I think the 75% isn't mainly an efficiency thing, but really is to make sure you can hold your rpm at the desired setting throughout the flight. Less rpm is also ok. I would agree the motor, battery, and ESC  would be happier at 75% rather than 60% for example, but I think you gain with prop efficiency with a slower turning prop. So the total system efficiency has a broad maximum--I am not sure where it is exactly--it probably doesn't matter that much. But in any case, efficiency isn't everything, and if you are happy, and you have the battery energy, then you are ok!

But I was thinking about a calculation I made using my motor parameters. I think I posted the plot in the thread on propellers.  I'll post it again (you lucky dog!). It shows, that I am flying my level laps at 75% throttle (you see the 70%, 80%, 90%, and 100% throttle plots for power in and predicted power out). My maneuvers are occurring at 80% full throttle (based on 4x3.45V being applied voltage--I think this is the voltage I see near the end of my flight on my EagleTree ). My working region is the vertical red line at about 8000 rpm. So when I saw your 75% number, my mind jumped to the wrong conclusion!

Oh well, senility is setting in  :'(  .

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2009, 01:49:10 PM »
Alan,
Yeah, total system efficiency has a broad maximum.  I'm trying the lower pitch route first.  I know the prop says 6 pitch but the APC12x6 seems to be higher.  The reason I'm trying the lower pitches is seeing if that route does reduce wind up.  I know it does for nitro powered airplanes.  I'll use whatever prop/rpm that gives me the line tension I'm looking for and little or no wind up in the wind.  One thing for sure, there are certainly a lot of prop/rpm combos to try. 

Seeing I have a 3400mah battery, which seems to be plenty, I want to use all of the 80% rule-of-thumb capacity for the performance I need.  No sense leaving some performance on the table.  Tonight I'll be out along with Saturday morning doing some more testing and trimming.  Looks like a couple of good flying seesions are here.  I'll post some more graphs Saturday afternoon.

It'll take me a bit to figure out your graph.  Thanks for the post.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2009, 03:03:31 PM »
Crist,

I have found that the APCE 12x6 is equivalent to about 1/2 pitch higher then the stated pitch because of the undercamber. I have depitch mine to 5" on the pitch gauge and run at 9000 rpm fixed mode, on 65' lines it gives me a 5.0 lap time. I have also tried one of the APCE 12x6P pushers and reversed rotation of the motor (switch any two motor leads) and depitch it to a 5" (you can reverse the swing arm and gauge plate on the prather then clamp the swing arm at the desirered pitch and you can set the blades) also and it hits the same lap time at the same 9000 rpm.

If you want line tension in the outsides then give the pusher a try. The square eight, vertical and overheads for me feel much better. You will have to do some re-trim to get the full benefit but you can get a pretty good idea by just putting one on and flying.

Best,           Dennis

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2009, 04:56:53 PM »
Here is today's graph.  I like the Xoar over the RSM prop.  My 13x6 Xoar props arrived in the mail after flying this morning.  I'll try them next time out.  Also I'm going to try an APC 13x4 repitched to 5 like I used last year but not cut down to 12 inches.  The total mah is 2267 and is pretty typical for this prop at 9600rpm.  Still plenty of power left to get to 2700mah!

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2009, 09:31:11 AM »
Here is today's graph.  I like the Xoar over the RSM prop.  My 13x6 Xoar props arrived in the mail after flying this morning.  I'll try them next time out.  Also I'm going to try an APC 13x4 repitched to 5 like I used last year but not cut down to 12 inches.  The total mah is 2267 and is pretty typical for this prop at 9600rpm.  Still plenty of power left to get to 2700mah!

When you say "like", what do you mean? I am guessing you feel like it is handling the overheads better. Just curious.

Also, of course it isn't necessary to waste battery power! Just think that it will take you less time to recharge it, and most likely the battery will give you more flights. I think if you go to the larger diameter prop, it will end up spinning slower and actually save you energy! If you want to waste power, put on a 9-4 prop and spin the heck out of it (not sure if you can get enough rpm with your motor kV though!).

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2009, 01:28:11 PM »
Crist
GREAT work and thank you for reporting it all!

I think you might be on the wrong track for the EFFICIENCY theme tho.  It looks like you are trying to find the prop that uses the most energy (i.e. increasing battery usage to 2700 mah) to accomplish the task - that is to fly the Resolve-570 through a pattern.  Using MORE power to accomplish the same set of work is LESS efficient.  Of course the big question is "What prop FLIES the best?"

The approach of using larger diameter and lower RPM seems responable, however, according to generic "fan laws":

* Power required increases as the 3rd power of RPM - however
* Power required increases as the 5th power of DIAMETER

That suggests that increasing the diameter is the wrong way to go to increase efficiency unless there is a very large reduction in RPM to offset it.

The "Swinger" you saw me fly at FCM last year used around 1800-1850 mah per flight: 560 sq in, 50 oz, 61' lines, 5.1 lap times using a 10x5 APC-E.  In short the Swinger physical dimensions are in the same ballpark as the Resolve-570, but seemed to use less power.

All of this: a long and windy way of asking that you also try a SMALLER prop, like the 11x5.5 APC-E, probably at around 9500 RPM to achieve your goal.  THen try a 10x5 (if you have enough kV) just to finish "mapping" the power optins like Alan's chart.

I test flew the Swinger with a 3000mah battery.  When it was obvious that this was more battery than needed I switched to a 2500 for a roughly 2 oz weight save.  Next time out I want to try the 2350's, then see if I am brave enough to go to 2100's - but that will be cutting it a bit fine.

Another way to use more battery: go to longer lines and a little more RPM to maintain lap times....
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2009, 02:25:53 PM »
Alan Dennis,
What I like in a prop is diameter.  I'm trying to run as minimum a pitch that I can at 9600 rpm which I believe is the best rpm to be running my set up.  So I'm trying to get the largest diameter prop running at 9600 rpm at 5.3 laps using 80% of battery capacity (2700mah) of a 3400mah battery.  All along giving me the feel on how it flies the plane.  That feel includes the line tension that I feel comfortable with, turn rate, lack of wind up in the wind, and repeatability.  The 13x6 prop will most likely be too big and I'm expecting to cut it down to keep the current draw within my limits.  If these don't give me what I'm looking for then I'll try something different.  But for now this is the tack I'm taking.  I have 2700mah to safely use per flight and I'm trying to convert all of it to airplane performance.  Anything less and I feel I'm leaving something on the ground.  I'm not trying to get any bragging rights to see how little mah I can use per flight and not have the plane perform the best it can.  That's where I'm coming from, to get the plane to perform the best using what's available.  Besides, according to all the formula's of watts/pound and such, right now I'm under acheiving those numbers.  I'm shooting for about 135 to 140 watts per pound 400-425 watts total.  I'm right around 350-360 watts.  Leaving 20% of available power that I'm trying to convert to airplane performance on the ground.

My 570 sq in Phacade profile (same size as the Resolve EP electric profile) powered by an OS 40LA uses a 12.5 x 4.5 CF prop.  It gives me all of the above with a managable wind up.  That's the plane I flew at FCM in Expert last year.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 02:58:09 PM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2009, 02:45:25 PM »
Maybe we should make a poll to see what prop we want Crist to test!

Right now the APC 12-6 seems to win the most economical for level flight (based on Crist's first flights). I'm guessing that is partly due to the thinness of the APC vs the other two 12" diameter props. Not sure how an APC 11-5.5 would compare, once dialed in to the lap speed.

It is a PITA to adjust the rpm to get the right lap speed, at least a few flights. I just bought one of Will Hubin's new timers, and it looks like the way to set a a series of 2 minute flights for dialing in a run (with ESC in normal governor mode).

One argument for diameter is how it performs for climbing and braking--I think you win there with bigger diameter. Not sure when the P-factor starts to make life miserable for you though--does the pusher help there??. I know for my Nobler that I am at the diameter limit (12") wrt prop clearance, unless I go to 4" wheels!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2009, 02:59:57 PM »
Crist,
I was writing my previous post as you were posting.

I think you are going to find a larger prop isn't going to use a lot more energy, simply because you are going to dial it in for your 5.1 s laps (at first at least). The larger diameter will give you more thrust, so you will need to turn down the rpm. My guess is that the larger prop turning slower will be more efficient, and as such, your power draw will drop in level flight. Now I also think that the larger diameter will give you more thrust as the airspeed drops in the climb (which minimizes the loss of airspeed--which is good of course), so here you may pull more power than the smaller prop. So in the end, the total energy needed will the sum of the two effects.

I guess if I were you, and wanted to use the 2700 mAHr from the battery, I would up the diameter and lower the pitch--stay at 4" for example with your 13" prop. This should help lower the prop efficiency in level flight, but increase the vertical thrust in the climb (and braking in the dives). To get to 2700 might really require a low pitch (and high rpm). The high rpm should help burn power. S?P

I think every plane needs a set amount of watts to fly, and to use much more you have to lose it in the prop. Of course if you gain in the verticals, it is a good tradeoff. The question is whether there is a point where the returns aren't worth it. I am sure there is a point, but not sure where it is at. Also I am not sure if we are already nearly there or not.

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
What would you do?
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2009, 04:11:25 PM »
OK guys here's the deal.  If you had, lets say, a Scorpion 3020-890 890Kv motor and, lets says, a 4S 3400mah battery, and you were going to put it in, lets say, a 50 ounce stunter on, lets say, 60 foot lines eye to eye and want lap times of, lets say, 5.2-5.4 seconds.  What kind of a set up would you use and why?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here