News:

• May 10, 2024, 02:25:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 570 Electric Profile  (Read 20341 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: 570 Electric Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2009, 05:10:42 PM »
well with a 890 Kv motor, and a 4s pack, its going to end up being most likely something with a 6" pitch to turn the right rpm,, as to diameter, I dont know the motor,, but I would wonder unless its a small plane drag wise, probably the 12 x 6
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2009, 05:42:20 PM »
Crist,
I'm coming in late on this and have only skimmed this as I've been pretty busy since I've gotten back home. If I'm off base I apologize. Your setup is very close to the one I am using on my ARF P40. I'm around 50oz and 61' eye to eye with the Scorpion 3020-14 944 kv. Weather I use my 1 3200 mah 4s or my 4s 4000 I am pulling 2200-2400 out of my batteries using a stock 12x6 APC E prop. Laptimes are around 5.1- 5.2 at 9000 RPM. Battery weight is almost the same for the 3200 and the 4000 (about 15 grams lighter for the 3200). These #'s seem pretty consisant with everyone else who is around 50 oz regardless of the plane they are flying. The prop seems to me the biggest constant to me. I dont have any fancy test equipment (just a watt meter and a tach). I'm good at copying what works for others. That prop seems to be very predictable at the Rpm's we tend to fly at. Again,sorry if I missed the point.
AMA 98010

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2009, 07:03:51 PM »
OK guys here's the deal.  If you had, lets say, a Scorpion 3020-890 890Kv motor and, lets says, a 4S 3400mah battery, and you were going to put it in, lets say, a 50 ounce stunter on, lets say, 60 foot lines eye to eye and want lap times of, lets say, 5.2-5.4 seconds.  What kind of a set up would you use and why?

Hey I know a guy who is having a great time flying a set-up just like that!   ;D

Option 1: do nothing but fly it.  Trim and improve the airplane to the best of its abilities.  Learn how to "camapign" an ECL for a season of CLPA wars. The motor and battery should be under little stress.  If the bird flies JUST FLY IT

Option 1A:   For 50 oz on 570 squares it might be better to keep the airspeed up AND give the bird a little more room to breathe.  If I wanted 5.4 lap times I would also opt for 63' lines.

Option 2:  Change parameters and re-optimize.  Achieve weight savings by downsizing the motor and battery to just fit the needs of the bird.  I think the bird that size does not need any mopre than an 11" prop.  That with governor braking should be plenty.  Do ONLY if you can achieve a 4 oz weight savings (including potential re-ballasting) which should let you slow down your lap times and keep the 60' lines.

Option 3: new bird to match the capabilities of the power system.  Kick the wing area up to 630-650 squares (i'd do it all in wing SPAN  ;D) The larger bird will let you exploit the big prop/big power reality of your most excellent power system.

...but that's just me!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Alan Hahn

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2009, 07:37:28 AM »
OK guys here's the deal.  If you had, lets say, a Scorpion 3020-890 890Kv motor and, lets says, a 4S 3400mah battery, and you were going to put it in, lets say, a 50 ounce stunter on, lets say, 60 foot lines eye to eye and want lap times of, lets say, 5.2-5.4 seconds.  What kind of a set up would you use and why?

Is this a trick question? ;D

I would stick on the largest diameter APC E prop that would comfortably fit and lengthen lines to slow it down if necessary.

Why because I think it works as well as anything else (including glow) that I have flown--basically a Brodak P40 is the biggest I have actually flown.

I think you have to satisfy yourself that the run you have flies the plane like you want or expect. What do you think about the way it flies, leaving out efficiency (or lack thereof  S?P).

The thing about electric, that I think is really different than glow, is that for any motor/battery combo, there are really many ways to prop the setup that will work almost equivalently. So you can go big diameter, smaller diameter, high pitch, low pitch, ......as long as the governor can hold the rpm constant you will make more power in the climb and have braking in the descent.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2009, 10:52:32 AM »
Alan, Everybody,
Not a trick question at all.  From my previous posts you all know what 'tack' I'm taking with my setup.  I got some interesting feedback and wanted to know what other people would do if they had the same setup as I do.  I admit, I don't know all that much about electric CL as most others here on the Forum.  I do appreciate the feedback from you guys and it has made me think a little about what I doing.  I will continue along the lines of what I stated earlier.  In reality, the Xoar 12x6 prop is working very well and I suspect that I won't stray very far from it.  I might go to 2 foot longer lines and some minor changes in rpm and such.  I do have a lot of power to play with.  What I really need to do is what Dennis says, fly the airplane and campaign ECL.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 06:35:38 AM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2009, 12:36:33 PM »
Crist,
glad the XOAR is working well enough to reference as a baseline for you.
My personal feeling mirrors yours regarding the flatter pitch props. Since you have excess headroom to play with, I would think that running a 12x4 or 13x4 on your setup is still a viable option, assuming you have the voltage at the end of the flight to generate the needed rpm. My new electric will use a Hacker A30 that is 1000 Kv. so it will be more geared towards that specific goal, I also have the 900 Kv A30 that I can swap in place of the other one for back to back comparisons at the field. I regretably have not been able to invest any time in my electric program YET this year. Of course my plan is a slightly larger airframe, more around 630 inches of wing but the same thoughts apply. Please keep us posted, you are generating real time information that we all will benefit from.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2009, 01:00:45 PM »
Mark,
The 12 x 5 Xoar prop needed 10,600 rpm to generate a lap time that was usuable.  Perhaps it would work if I went with a higher KV motor.  Hmmmm...
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2009, 01:28:59 PM »
Mark,
The 12 x 5 Xoar prop needed 10,600 rpm to generate a lap time that was usuable.  Perhaps it would work if I went with a higher KV motor.  Hmmmm...

Uhmm - Buy another $75 motor to make a $5 prop work?  If it was me, I'd give the prop away and buy more of the ones that do work.   y1

Or just go  AP^

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2009, 01:39:48 PM »
The point isnt to make the prop work, its to get a setup that works the way you want. the High rpm low pitch setup is a philosophy about power delivery. Its about the drive and recovery from manuevers, as well as the braking effect coming downhill. My believe is that flatter pitch props get more benefits from the advantage that the govenor gives us in those situations. So its not about making the $5 prop work, its about making the setup work. I have two 120 $ motors for my setup so that I can experiment, but then I also have way more than that in props,, all of which are wood, different brands, sizes, and pitchs. I think its an addiction,,,

Hello, my name is Mark, I am a propellor addict. This week I only bought one dozen propellors,,,

T=One of the cool things about electric is that you do have more flexibility to experiment with this sort of thing. compare a 75 $ motor to a $350 PA 40,, ah well, it works for me anyway,, lol
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2009, 01:42:29 PM »
Crist, did you fly it with the 12x5 xoar then? did you try any manuevers, I know you probably would not have had enough battery to do much? just curious if you had a sense of any difference in flight
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2009, 05:59:21 PM »
Yup, Mark is right.  It's the package that I'm working on, not just the props. I flew with the Xoar 12x5 prop and I needed 10,600 rpm to fly a 5.4 lap.  I only used 1942mah for that flight.  I wanted to be around 9600 rpm so I switched to a 12x6 prop.  The 12x5 flew very well but I thought the rpm was a little too high for the KV of my motor.  I do have some 13x5 Xoar props that I need to try.  I'll probably have to cut them down but if they give me a good lap time at around 10K then I might be on to something.  Many possibilities for props and rpm's.  At least I have a lot of overhead in the battery to try different combos.  I'm sure there is a setup out there that will make me happy and get the peformance the plane/ECL setup has to offer.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 06:37:13 AM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2009, 07:28:40 PM »
Crist,
I would sure be tempted to try the 13x5 stock length if you have the ground clearance, it sounds like you have the current capability in the batteries based on your flight with the 12x5. I would be surprised if you did not see better lap times with the 13 prop at the same rpm since it will be getting a better bite on the air! I may have missed it but what are you targeting for lap times,, somewhere around 5.2 or 5.1 perhaps? thats about where I try to get everything since its more consistant timing wise for my limited experience at the handle. That may just be a dynomite combination. The //xoar props have so little mass, compared to an APC, that it probably wont cause any gyroscopic precession issues either even though it is a 13 inch prop.. Now your getting me excited to get my electric back in the air!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2009, 09:31:43 PM »
Mark,
Laps times I'm shooting for are 5.2 to 5.4.  Yeah, I'm going to try the stock 13x5 at 10600rpm and see what happens.  And yeah my gear is made to deal with a 13 inch prop.   y1
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2009, 08:50:37 AM »
**rubbing hands together with glee*****
I look forward to hearing your results, glad someone else has been thinking along the same lines as me,, I felt like I was on an island sometimes lol,, or maybe that I was off my rocker,, or off my meds,, lol <= n~ LL~
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2009, 09:36:43 PM »
Did you say you had meds left over? HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>

Hi Gang,
   Dean

P.S.

Part of the fun to watch evolution is when folks stop speaking of "the setup" as when copying one of the benchmark setups, and then start speaking of dialing "my" setup to suit me and my airplane.
Dean Pappas

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2009, 09:43:21 PM »
Dean, I have meds left over BUT I AINT SHARING!
 LL~
Crist,
shouldnt you be out flying,, sheesh, Im waiting here,, lol
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2009, 07:59:03 PM »
Well I now have 39 flights on the Resolve.  I flew it in the Polk City contest this past weekend.  The plane flew very well and has a very nice corner.  The set up is very strong and I got several compliments on how well it flew.  I'm still using the Xoar 12x6 prop launching at either 9600 or 9700 rpm.  On average I draw 2450mah per flight.  Over the next month or so I'll finr tune the set up including the reverse rotation 12x6 seeing it has less pitch than the standard 12x6.  I'm a happy camper!  y1

The plane still needs some trimming but I will continue to fly it to build some handle time.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Great news Crist,
so have you played roulette with props yet, still looking forward to you doing my research for me  S?P
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2009, 10:09:19 PM »
Just keep flying!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2009, 09:27:10 PM »
Did some more flying tonight.  I tried an APCE 12 x 6 pusher prop.  I needed about 400 rpm more than the standard 12 x 6 prop.  I really noticed the difference in the outside corners and the Hourglass.  Yup, I'm sold.  Another benefit that was noticed not only by me but my helper Floyd Layton was that the airplane was better behaved out on the lines.  With the standard prop that I was using there were some bobbles, bumps, jerks, etc during the stunts.  With the pusher prop the airplane settled down a lot!  Now on to getting a 12x6P and repitching down to 5 and getting a 13 x 8P cutting it down some and repitch it ot 5.  BTW the standard prop Xoar 12x6 uses 2425mah per flight while the APCE 12x6 pusher prop uses 2250mah for the same lap speed.

Also I used the newest firmware update tonight.  Seeing it was calm tonight I didn't notice any difference.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2009, 12:09:46 PM »
Did some more flying tonight.  I tried an APCE 12 x 6 pusher prop. ..... <snip>.... With the standard prop that I was using there were some bobbles, bumps, jerks, etc during the stunts.......<snip>

So you're saying, a pusher prop gets rid of the jerks? Have to try that.  Oh yea, does it get rid of the jerks on both sides of the line? LL~

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2009, 08:48:16 PM »
So you're saying, a pusher prop gets rid of the jerks? Have to try that.  Oh yea, does it get rid of the jerks on both sides of the line? LL~

Very funny Alan!

In a couple of weeks you'll see what I mean.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2009, 09:36:31 AM »
Very funny Alan!

In a couple of weeks you'll see what I mean.

Crist,
Yes and you can probably imagine how smug I am that after dallying with poser props, you have come back to the "one true" APC 12-6 prop---even if there are two versions of it!

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2009, 09:46:52 PM »
Alan, Alan, Alan........
The 1 good prop, a 12 x 6 is an Xoar prop, it just doesn't come in reverse pitch.   S?P  I ordered an APCE 13 x 6.5 pusher prop to repitch to run at least 9000 rpm for my set up.  I'm looking at cutting it down some depending on current draw.  I'm working on a pusher prop pitch gauge.  I also have another APCE 12 x 6 P that I'll reduce the pitch on so I can run it at the same rpm as the Xoar prop that I'm running.  Yes, the APCE props weigh more but I can use a little nose weight.

See you at Mike's?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2009, 07:09:24 PM »
Update on props and such.  I'm now using an APCE 12.5 x 3.5 Pusher prop.  It started out as an 13x6.5P.  You can get these at Tower Hobbies.  I repitched it to 3.5 on my reverse pitch gauge.  I run it at 9200 rpm and draw about 2450mah for a full flight with a lap time of 5.1 sec.  I have more on order and will go to a 3 pitch to see if I can get closer to 9600 rpm.  Also, I plan on using the full 13 inches.  I'll keep you posted as to what I find out.  Those of you who are using the 12x6P should try this prop out even if you cut it down to 12.  The blade is a little wider than a stock 12 incher.  The reason I need to go to 3 on the pitch gauge is because these props are undercambered.  Remember, you heard it here first!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2009, 07:35:56 PM »
If you go to any lower pitch, you will have to reverse the rotation, and so a pusher will become a tractor and vice versa! VD~

At some point go to 0! LL~

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2009, 07:48:54 PM »
If you go to any lower pitch, you will have to reverse the rotation, and so a pusher will become a tractor and vice versa! VD~

At some point go to 0! LL~

Then I'll be down to where your anemic current draws are!   LL~
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2009, 08:31:51 PM »
Then you can fly forever!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2009, 09:01:59 PM »
on a "serious" note, I cannot believe that zero pitch is optimal --so there must be an optimal pitch.

So what do I mean by that.

Well there is efficiency, and there is thrust vs airspeed. I know that efficiency goes up with pitch (to a limit of course) and my fooling around with prop calculations indicate that lower pitch seems to increase the slope of thrust vs airspeed (a good effect).

Now to optimize, you need to consider the extra weight you carry around to be able to waste watts on level flight, and this will subtract (in some way) from the extra thrust you may get in the climb as the airspeed drops (which is a function of weight).

Braking enters into it too, but again, with our governors, I have a constant lower rpm with higher pitch than you have with a higher rpm and lower pitch. I think you are winning, but I do not really know by how much. Again, total plane weight matters too. At this point, I have not felt my setup is lacking anything---at least compared to previous glow setups.

But that is the great thing--my guess is that the "optimum" is a broad peak with respect to all these variables and there is no big advantage to anyone at this point.

At some point we begin to "argue" about minor details.

My main point is that you don't have to spend a fortune of state of the art equipment to make a setup that favorably compares to a glow setup in cost and weight and far supercedes it in user friendliness. My setup for example is really consistent every flight and offers incredible advantages compared to the typical LA40 Nobler setup. That is what I am trying to get across (outside of this forum!). And the cost isn't outrageous.

Finally (climbing down from my soapbox---actually maybe I am climbing up), I think glow is on its way out. As RC abandons methanol (and the general energy picture), the cost of glow fuel, not to mention its availabilty is just going to skyrocket. And the glow engines will begin to slowly disappear. It will be soon be like 1/2A is right now.

Now you can be sad (I am a bit because I like mechanical things), but still if you like the smell of castor in the morning, enjoy it while you can.

Ok, off the box! H^^

Good thing this is in the electric forum!

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2009, 09:44:41 PM »
Alan,
The beauty of this hobby is that there are many ways to "skin that cat".  On a windy Saturday I plan on trying several set ups.  I plan on running the APCE 12x6 running at 8400 rpm (5.2 sec) and then try my 9600 rpm set up.  I'll be watching the windup and overheads etc.  It would be an interesting experiment.  You're satisfied with your set up and I'm close.  Different set ups but we still get to fly and have fun.  And I agree with with you assessment of costs.  I do think that electric is the thing of the future.  Glow will be around but electric will be more popular.  Much like diesels/sparkies and glow engines today in the USA.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2009, 10:00:16 PM »
First a personal perspective, as much as I beleive in electric, I cant see myself doing a classic ship with electric just yet anyway, around here that would likely get you tarred and feathered! lol,,

now, as for your comments Alan about "wasting " energy with a high pitch setup. I dont get where that comes from, perhaps if you use your same motor and wind it up you might, but if you get a different motor with a higher KV and run a high rpm low pitch setup, it will be just the same efficiency as the low rpm high pitch? to put it in another light. If you use the same diameter prop, but with a flatter pitch, it will move the same column of air ( spaure inches of prop area) with more thrust, even at flight speeds. but it will take the same power to spin the flat pitch prop at a higher rpm because there is less drag per revolution of the blades, IOW they are taking a smaller bite of the air each time they rotate so it takes less watts to rotate it per rpm. This is my take on it,, FWIW. I also believe that a high rpm setup all else being equal, will generate a much better airspeed to rpm ratio, and breaking affectivness than a high pitch setup will. My target is somewhere around Crist, though a bit higher, I want to spin about 10000 to 10500 rpm with a 4 pitch prop or thats where my "calculations" put me. that will be with a Hacker A30-8XL that is capable of over 650 watts, though I dont plan on using all of it. regretably, it will likely be this fall before my new testbed takes the air. I have to finish the Avenger, and the 109 profile, (Crist this is the one you cut cores for quite a while back) and Jessica wants to finish her plane too,, sigh,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Alan Hahn

« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2009, 07:42:35 AM »
Mark,
I "think" that a two props of equal diameter but different pitches making the same thrust at flight speeds will give the nod in efficiency to the higher pitched prop. How much different I don't really know of the top of my head. The reason I think is that things like drag etc. are not simply linear in velocity, so a faster spinning prop should take more power than a lower rpm prop--to make the same thrust. There of course should be a limit to how much pitch works, but I am guessing that other concerns begin to matter first--like how thrust increases as the airspeed drops--here I think flatter pitch wins, but again it isn't a night or day thing.

My main comments is that flat pitch props were a concession to the modern glow engine power/torque curves. The electric motor is completely different in that regard, so it just isn't obvious that flatter and flatter props are really bringing something to the table.

But I could be wrong!

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2009, 09:47:04 PM »
I got some more 13x6.5P today.  I repitched one to 3 at station 10.  It is the full 13 inches in diameter.  We'll see what happens this weekend.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2009, 12:06:55 PM »
Went out and test flew some props in the 15 mph wind last night.   The only change I made between props was the rpm setting on the ESC to try and get a 5.1 to 5.2 lap speed.  All props are APC pusher props.  Here are my results:

12 x 6P (5.25 on my pitch gauge) stock prop - 8800 rpm 5.15 lap time - excellent line tension - quite a lot of wind up
12.5 x 3.5P (13 x 6.5P cut down and repitched) - 9300 rpm - 5.15 lap time - very good line tension - less wind up than 12 x 6P
13 x 3P (13 x 6.5 repitched) - 9600 rpm - 5.25 lap time - good to very good line tension - even less wind up that the 12.5 x 3.5P

My conclusion is that the higher pitched props allow more wind up and give better line tension in the wind on my set up.  As the saying goes - "You're mileage my vary."

I have decided to go with a cut down and repitched 13 x 6.5P APCE props to 12.5 x 3.25P.  This will give me a little head room before I get to 80% (2700mah) of my battery capacity of 3400mah.

Sure wish APC would come out with a 13 x 4P prop.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2009, 08:12:28 AM »
Crist
ANOTHER great set of data.  Geez what a difference a year makes.  You gone a LONG way from the Barnstormer with the 13x8(?) or what ever it was you were flying last summer!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2009, 10:43:14 AM »
Thanks Dennis.  No more datalogging and such.  On to putting cycles on the batteries.  BTW I'm on cycle 17 on each battery.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1058812
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2009, 10:45:02 AM »
Crist,
thanks for sharing, great information!
good luck flying now, have a great season
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2009, 07:49:22 PM »
Crist, what does the term "wind up" mean. Is that RPM gain on the downwind run?

Great info, thanks,

John Witt
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2009, 07:53:54 PM »
"Wind up" or "whip up" is when the airplane gains speed when doing stunts on the down wind side of the circle.  Most noticable when doing the 3 inside circles.  It's like having a kite doing loops that get faster and faster and eventually you will run out of elevater and can cause crashes when it is at its most.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2009, 08:58:53 PM »
Crist, what does the term "wind up" mean. Is that RPM gain on the downwind run?

Great info, thanks,

John Witt

John,
If you are using a governor the rpm won't increase (or decrease), so what is going on is that the motor--through the prop --  is resisting the speed up of the plane by the wind (always have an issue is it wind-up (like a wind up toy) or is it wind-up (pronounced like the wind that is causing the whole issue)).

A good feeling for how good the braking is (no, not breaking!) is to turn off any braking function on the ESC---so when the timer quits, the prop windmills--boy do you come down fast compared to actually stopping the prop with the break brake function (sometimes I do stop the prop with a break!).

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2009, 09:20:14 PM »
OK, I get it. I assume one of the PA goals is to fly a constant ground speed around the circle, regardless of the wind. So you have two cross-wind portions, one headwind, one tailwind, and the transitions between. The governor will then be trying to keep the air flow through the prop constant as it loads and unloads in the transitions.  Would I be right in thinking the transitions are the important parts where the governor is working hardest to keep the RPM stable?

I have the gain in my CC PHX 45 set to medium. Does the RPM stability benefit from setting the gain to high ( not too high!). I would think high is where to run it as long as the speed doesn't hunt. CC doesn't say much about the control algorithm or give one much in the way of options to modify it. Since it is a consumer product, there won't be many people using it that have the understanding necessary to fine tune the control anyway.

Good stuff, guys.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Alan Hahn

« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2009, 10:03:12 AM »
John,
If you look around here (probably my thread on my Nobler from last year), I posted a graph from my data logger of what my power system is doing.

Even in level flight, you can see that the motor "sees" the wind. I was initially surprised to see that it is working hardest when the plane is flying with the wind, and is having the easiest time flying into the wind. The power/amp trace looks line a sinusoid.

So what is going on is that the airplane, with a fixed rpm, wants to keep a constant airspeed, not groundspeed. So when the plane comes around from the upwind part of the circle, it has to accelerate to catch up to the wind to keep the airspeed constant (increasing groundspeed of course), and vice-versa as it comes around from the downwind part of the circle.

Every plane (glow or electric) does this. The difference is how the motor/glow engine handles the changing load. With a governor, our motors keep a pretty constant rpm. Glow engines have their own characteristics, depending on how they are set up, 4-2-4, high rpm/low pitch, piped, 4 stroke. I think the piped and high rpm/low pitch setups (maybe 4 stroke too) are closest to our governor setup because the engines are typically running near max rpm.

Anyway, getting back to your question, you want the gain of the governor setup high enough so it can respond fast enough to quick changing loads---basically a square corner is probably or fastest change, and that is on the timescale of a tenth of a second or so. If you set the gain too high, you will hear the motor "oscillate" in rpm when the load changes. It is pretty audible. At that point cut back on the gain. You can start with a moderate gain and go up until you hear the "warble"--I heard it at the top of my loops. Then back off a point or two in the gain setting.

I basically just set a moderate gain and don't notice any rpm fluctuations from my datarecorder that I can associate with the load changes. I basically think that we are not stressing the load factor in our application--like an RC Helicopter does in some of its 3D maneuvers.

Hope this helps.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2009, 01:47:32 PM »
Alan, I was using airflow through the prop as a euphemism for airspeed, but I see your point. No way to keep a constant groundspeed without some kind of reference.

So do you have any info about what the CC software means relative to response times for the  governor gain, for instance is low to med to high an order of magnitude each time, or a doubling, or some nonlinear factor?

I'm scheduled to fly Saturday AM, so I think I'll take my laptop and try changing the gain and see how it works.

Interesting that a lot of E-flyers are interested in numbers and numeric modeling. I think that might be because we can get the info. A glow engine is hard to compute.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Alan Hahn

« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2009, 02:12:02 PM »
John,
No I am not privy to the inner workings of the CC ESC governor. They are pretty vague about what exactly the input numbers really mean.

It is an advantage to have the data recorder since if it looks good on the recorder--then it's good enough. Like I said, I think my gain is set somewhere in the middle range. Since it worked right off the bat, I didn't fool around with it. Now if I saw my rpm's sag, then I would up the gain.

The only time I had the governor over-gained was a couple of years ago with my Electric Super Clown setup, running at that time with the Stock Brodak motor (kV=1500 rpm/volt). That motor had 10 magnets in it and so I had to run the CC ESC in (I think) high governor mode. These are the good old days, believe me, compared to back then. I don't recall why my gain was too high, but you should have seen me jump when the ESC overcompensated at the top of the loop.

Now we have a new firmware (actually I'm talking about last summer's update), and for me it works really well--I use "Set RPM" mode.

I am sure some of the other guys who like to play with the settings will chime in and tell you where their gains are set.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2009, 03:57:35 PM »
IIRC my gain is set fairly high. cant say for sure just how high, but its in the upper range of the available settings. have not looked at it for awhile though.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2009, 07:17:51 AM »
With Gain set to mid setting, we noticed some "wandering" of RPM in level flight.  A talk with Castle suggested that a lower gain setting (down to 3 using "Custom" option) would smooth things out - and it does.

Unfortunately, my still limited testing SEEMS to suggest that the lower gain shows up as less governing ability in manuvers - I guess that seems logical, and seems to dovetail as the opposite example versus Alan's experience with Gain set too high.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Anyhow, I think I will re-set the gain to either LOW or MODERATE and let it ride for now. I have more work to do setting my flight speed, then will look at changing Gain setings
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Alan Hahn

« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2009, 08:10:57 AM »
I should note that I base my "gain" observations primarily on my data recorder rpm measurements. So I say that I am satisfied because I don't see any apparent sags or surges of the rpm level during a pattern flight.

If I didn't have this data, I guess I would play more with the gain setting since the main feedback (as far as I know) is when you overdue the gain setting and can hear the overshooting and undershooting (prop noise) during the maneuvering---like I heard with my Super CLown when I apparently overdid the setting.

Of course it is painful to make these ESC changes if the PC is back home, and not at the field. But as they say, no pain, no gain! H^^

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2009, 08:37:17 AM »
I guess I need to go back and look more carefully at the software (using ver 3.13) and the help explanations. I realize I don't understand the difference fully between the "set RPM" mode and governor mode. There's the effect of the timer settings on the system as well. I'm using the Z-Tron and running at 90/95% throttle. I'm wondering if that just sets a ceiling on the available output that the ESC can use to regulate prop speed, since the timer I assume is regulating the PWM pulse width which in turn limits the ESC current throughput. The voltage is whatever it is so you have a ceiling on the available torque.

Does the set RPM mode act as a throttle (trying to run at a set RPM) in the ESC, with compensation for load; whereas the governor mode would run at the motor at the output set by the timer at whatever RPM resulted from that throttle setting? I guess what I'm saying is: you can have a set RPM or a set torque (gov mode), with an internal feedback loop for each mode which has an adjustable gain.

Does that match your understanding of how it works, or am I off in left field a-gain.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Alan Hahn

« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2009, 10:27:53 AM »
John,
You sound as confused as I was when I was trying to figure out how i was suppose to setup the governor. It took some time and patience from the guys here on the forum to talk me though it (a belated thanks!).

Anyway here is the way to look at it. First lets look at normal governor mode:

In "normal" mode, the ESC is looking at the pulse coming out of the timer/throttle (the Ztron in your case). The timer puts out a 1-2ms pulse at a 50Hz rate. A 1ms pulse is interpreted as throttle "off", and a 2ms pulse is throttle "full on" =wide open throttle or WOT. So lets say you set your Ztron dip switch for a "25" setting---which I think is right in the middle of the throttle range. Then the Ztron would put out a 1.5ms pulse. This is nominally equivalent to the throttle channel output on a RC receiver.

ok, so far, so good. Now the trick is how the ESC interprets this signal. What it does is map the Ztron output into a rpm range. Now you should know, the ESC doesn't really measure rpm directly, but it is counting the signal that the permanent magnets make as they spin around the stator. A typical motor that we are using has 14 magnets. I think Dean Pappas once gave us the conversion between the Ztron pulse output and the rpm level. Anyway the Ztron output maps onto a rpm and it is a little trial and error to figure it out. When I use to use this mode, I would replace the normal propeller with a small 2"diameter disc that had alternating dark and light quadrants. My tach could read the rpm of the motor this way, without worrying about a dangerous 9000 rpm prop whurling around. By playing with the timer, I could map out the rpm as a function of the timer setting. A little tedious, but it worked.

If you are still with me, once the throttle setting is made, the governor will try and keep that rpm setting, as long as the throttle setting stays the same. So if the load goes up (like in a climb) the ESC governor will increase power to the motor, and take it away as the load goes down. As a result the rpm stays constant. The only limitation is that the rpm itself must be attainable by your particular motor and battery. That typically means that we fly our level laps at ~75% throttle. If the power needs go up, the ESC can draw on that remaining 25% to increase the throttle. Now it isn't completely clear what 75% actually means to everyone--to me it means that the ESC is outputting a PWM pulse that is on 75% or the time and off 25%. That actually translates into less than 75 % power (I think).

There is a small wrinkle called "high" and "low" governor mode--and that is because you may want a higher target rpm range than what is considered "normal" (normal was defined for helicopter pilots).

The advantage of the above type of governor mode is that if one day you think you need a little bit more "oompf", then simply increase the Ztrin throttle setting a click or two higher, and the rpm will increase some too. Last I recall each click is in the 100 rpm range--but I forget because...

I use the set rpm mode. I was tired of the back and forth setting stuff, and knew where I wanted to fly. In Set RPM mode you can set 3 target rpms. The first value is for timer throttle settings above 0 and less than 50%, the second above 50% and below 99%, and the 3rd is for 100% throttle. I set the first value to be 7500 rpm, the second to be 7950 rpm, and the third also to be 7950 rpm. I then use my timer so that when I take off, the throttle value is ~45%. This gives me 7500 rpm for a nice calm takeoff. I then set the timer to ramp the throttle from the 45% value up to 100%. Now this took a few trials and errors, but right now, my timer passes the 50% point about 1.5 laps before the wingover--so when the ESC sees the 50% value, it ramps the rpm to 7950, and holds it there the rest of the flight.

But the disadvantage, at least the way I am using it with the reduced takeoff power, is that I am locked into a flying rpm, and can't change it unless I bring a laptop to the field. If I didn't care about the takeoff power, I could set a windy weather rpm and a calm day rpm, and then just adjust the timer to one of the desired rpms. Or if I had 3 timers already setup, I could just change timers.

Well this was another long winded post. I hope it isn't confusing you.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2009, 02:12:26 PM »
OK, yes, that makes sense. You state it very well. So now what we need is a pot on the ESC to set the RPM, instead of software. So the glow guys have a can of fuel, a starter and its battery and a glow plug lighter and we have a cable and a laptop. I think that blows the cost comparison, but of course we can play Solitaire on the laptop while the batteries charge. n~

Well, if I have enough time Saturday I will try a couple of things. I only have two batteries and there is a 50 min charge time currently, so that gives me some time to set the software up. My flying doesn't offer real consistent behavior, so sometimes it's hard to evaluate what's going on. That is getting better gradually, at least now the Panther is flying well enough to change one thing at a time. BTW does anyone make a three blade prop that's roughly equivalent to the APC 12-6. The 12 inch prop runs me out of ground clearance and  I broke the tip off the only one I had. I have a Master AS 11-7 3-blade, but it doesn't seem to pull out of hard turns as well as the 12-6 2-blade.

The plane actually is running pretty well as set up right now, but you know we cannot resist "trimming".

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here