News:

• June 18, 2024, 06:47:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LiPo storage  (Read 1488 times)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • owner
LiPo storage
« on: November 13, 2013, 10:05:31 AM »
I did a search on this topic.  I mostly got advice on storage/charge voltage requirements.

I recently bought a steel box for my LiPo batteries.  They are now out in my concrete patio for long term storage, instead of residing in my planes.

Is this necessary?  Is there any fire danger if LiPo is left dormant in a normal, protected environment?

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: LiPo storage
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 12:57:11 PM »
Floyd,
Most important is that you want to make sure that they don't freeze and to the opposite extreme make sure that you don't overheat them in the summer in that steel box. I know some people including myself store them in ammo cans,to transport them I use my flight box which is cloth or a small cooler which protects them mostly from the summer heat but also the cold winter days that I decide to fly on.
William
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:19:43 PM by William DeMauro »
AMA 98010

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 01:35:53 PM »
One more complication!  Outside, on my cement patio, it does freeze!  This is Oregon, so we have a lot of freezing going on.

Where can I store this steel box so that my house will not burn down?  I have stored my LiPo batteries inside my planes, kept in an out-building (which is mostly wood).

Should I worry?

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline keith varley

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 07:54:09 PM »
Floyd; 
When I first started with electric , I was always nervous about the fear of fire , and stored them in a metal box or a fire safe ,These small safes , such as you store documents in ,are really cheap at places like office supply stores or Lowes. Then as I got rather casual about the dangers and justified my lax attitude by thinking about all the hobby shops that have rows of storage charge batteries just sitting open on the shelves. 
The real danger comes if the batteries are impacted , or during charging operations. You could at least transport them in a fire safe , I suppose. A real crash often ( or usually )  causes a fire , but then you don't crash do you?
Keith

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:08:06 PM »
If the heat of a lipo fire is over 3200 degrees.  how is a stamped steel box a fireproof box???  I would think the lipos could easily melt steel at that temp. Or at worst heat the box so hot it could ignite anything around it.
 Would it not be better to have a ceramic safe to put them in?

Randy

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 08:35:49 PM »
My experience with lipo fires is that while they may burn at a high temperature, the duration is low, maybe 10 seconds of fury before it goes weak.

I dare say it'd be like hitting the steel box with a blow torch for about 10 seconds, it may blister the paint, and get too hot to touch but it's unlikely to go any further than that.

Don't quote me on this though!
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 08:44:02 PM »
I saw a video of a test where they took a Lipo, stabbed with a screwdriver and put it into a flimsy metal cash box and closed the lid. Mind you they did this very quickly!

The metal case contained the fireball and thy flimsy latch and metal box contained the fire. The toxic smoke came out however.

Probably the best box is the fire proof safe that can lock.

I use a foam lined metal case that has two latches.

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 10:29:25 PM »
I saw a video of a test where they took a Lipo, stabbed with a screwdriver and put it into a flimsy metal cash box and closed the lid. Mind you they did this very quickly!

The metal case contained the fireball and thy flimsy latch and metal box contained the fire. The toxic smoke came out however.

Probably the best box is the fire proof safe that can lock.

I use a foam lined metal case that has two latches.

Fred Cronenwett

And what would happen if you stored 4, 5 or 6, lipo packs  ie  your flying batteries in one metal case?? I doubt it would be just a 10 sec deal, films I saw was much much more intense , as when one cell goes it makes enough heat to light off the other cells in the pack, and then the pack is easily hot enough to light off the other lipo packs.
I still maintain that a ceramic safe would be much safer

Randy

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 12:13:43 AM »
Randy, I'm not saying you're wrong, but it might be overkill. What's worse, a half dozen lipos all going off together in a box or a magazine of 50 cals all going off inside a box?

Thats why I use army surplus 50 cal cartridge boxes.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 04:51:12 AM »
This is the storage advice that I found on a RC helicopter web site, they also have the videos I was talking about

http://www.rchelisite.com/lipo_battery_charging_and_safety_guide.php

LiPo Battery Handling & Storage Keep LiPo battery packs WELL out of reach of children.

Do not put battery packs in pockets or bags where they can short circuit.

Do not store or transport or store batteries where they can come into contact with sharp or metallic objects.

Do not store your LiPo pack in extreme temperatures below 0C or above 50C.

Always store your LiPo pack in a safe and non flammable container away from flammable objects. A LiPo Sack or metal / ceramic storage container is best.

Always store your LiPo’s partially charged. They will maintain their performance levels over time and there’s no need to cycle them unless stored for periods longer than 3-6 months.

--- Notice they say a metal or ceramic container can be used

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 12:31:12 PM »
Randy, I'm not saying you're wrong, but it might be overkill. What's worse, a half dozen lipos all going off together in a box or a magazine of 50 cals all going off inside a box?

Thats why I use army surplus 50 cal cartridge boxes.

???  thats  just bizarre !!  why would you set off 50 cal ammo in your house?? it is not going to go off by itself, like lipos can, I was not talking about ammo, I was asking about LIPO storage.

Regards
Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 12:34:25 PM »

"Do not store or transport or store batteries where they can come into contact with sharp or metallic objects. "

Hi Fred

NOT that they would be the experts , but they did say keep away from metal objects, I think a steel ammo box would qualify ?? 
If I used a steel box to store my batteries , I think I would surround that box with brick, easy to do, and cheap and most important SAFER.

Regards

Randy

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 06:41:30 PM »
Who knows who the real experts are but I found the videos most informative. At least the website is one piece of information, more than I had before.

I keep mine in a metal case that is foam lined with nothing else in there and then charge in the fire proof safe.

Fred

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 12:27:50 PM »
Some may think that storage in Fort Knox in a lead lined vault, surrounded by Kryptonite is barely adequate. Others may differ.  :)
AMA 33676

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 04:45:02 PM »
Some may think that storage in Fort Knox in a lead lined vault, surrounded by Kryptonite is barely adequate. Others may differ.  :)

I reread the thread  and  can see  no one  that even remotely suggested that, My post were serious and I think that a ceramic safe is better/safer than a stamped metal one. You could use a ceramic pot of go to home depot and buy bricks, you can make an easy box out of brick if you just want a home storage box

Regards

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here