News:

• May 10, 2024, 10:15:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3 New Electric models  (Read 625 times)

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
3 New Electric models
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:20:41 PM »
Well I've been busy over the past 3 weeks or so and now have 3 new EL models set to go - now I have a fairly competitive squadron of 5 models - 4 of which are Firecrackers (or at least a Firecracker derivative!)

A close 'flying' friend offered me a complete wing, flaps, stab and elevators a few weeks ago.  He had built it all as a copy of the 'Yatsenko Classic' model which he never finished.  All I needed to do was build a fuselage to suit, put it all together, cover and finish  and I had another model... The wing was a little shorter in span than the original Yatsenko so I extended the tips to bring it back to original sizing, the flaps, stab and elevators had been finished in fiberglass cloth so I only needed to 'refresh' the finish to make it all suitable for painting..  When building the fuselage I changed the thrust lines from what the original model was.. I didn't like the idea that everything was 'in-line' and had built one for an IC engine some time ago which didn't fly particularly well - so I changed a few things to suit my taste..  The wing is covered in 'Hobby King' shrink covering which went on very easily and the model painted with plain old "Kill Rust' epoxy enamel - out of a rattle can.  I've made it so the complete wing drops out of the fuselage and the fin will also come away with the release of one screw so that it should fit into a reasonable size box if I choose to take it travelling with me! Looking as if it will weigh in the vicinity of 58 - 59 ounces (fueled!) which is in the ball park I was hoping for - hoping to get to fly this one in the next week..

While building this model I 'attacked' the first Firecracker I built about 5 - 6 years ago..(Yellow and blue in the photos)  It flew quite well and was originally powered by a Saito .56 4 stroke.  Since going 'Electric' 18 months ago I haven't touched any of my IC powered stunt models and thought "Why not?" - so away I went and chewed out most of the bearers, made a ramp for the battery (it fits diagonally in front of the wing - half above and half below the centre line) - motor is some non-descript Hobby King 900kv, 14 poled which cost a whole $29! (only bought it as a bit of an experiment)  So far only had one very short flight with it but was so VERY IMPRESSED  #^  with how it flew with the conversion...  I was practicing for an up-coming event so didn't want to fly it too much as I was more used to my 'main' model..

So a few days later, on the back of how impressed I was with that conversion, I converted the last IC powered Firecracker - No. 4 in my line of this model (Mainly Red, White and blue in the photos) I had built about 2 years ago..  This one originally had a Stalker .61 in it and also flew very well - hasn't been in the air yet since the conversion but I'm hoping it will go just as well as the yellow and blue one mentioned above..  Currently it is powered by an 'Arrowind' 2832 motor ... both models will start off with the APC 13 x 4.5 'pusher' props..  :)  - Now it's time for a rest from building!
Bruce

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: 3 New Electric models
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 03:57:58 PM »
awesome  Hoffo - looks like you are set to go for a long time!!!

might need to change the name from fire cracker to electron smasher or somthing tho....
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 04:14:37 PM »
awesome  Hoffo - looks like you are set to go for a long time!!!

might need to change the name from fire cracker to electron smasher or somthing tho....

What a good idea!  y1 -

Weather report over here for the next few days is for dangerously high winds (for buildings) - so it doesn't appear that I'll have much of a chance to fly before the weekend competition... :(    Always next week I guess.... :)!
Bruce

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 04:46:44 PM »
I had that happen ALL year last year - no practise before comps......happens more now we are heading into winter
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:23:52 AM »
Sheesz, keep this up and folks will start thinking you are SERIOUS about electrics.

Nice fleet!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here

Advertise Here