News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:19:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3 Bladed Prop, Prop Adapter, and Spinner  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
3 Bladed Prop, Prop Adapter, and Spinner
« on: June 27, 2021, 04:04:42 PM »
While at the Nats I've decided to go with a 3 bladed CF prop. 

For those who run a 3 bladed CF prop, what prop adapter and spinner do you use?  It looks like all 3 bladed spinners use a screw at the nose of the spinner to hold it on?

Thanks in advance.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Rick_Huff

Re: 3 Bladed Prop, Prop Adapter, and Spinner
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 04:25:56 PM »
Crist,
I've used Tru Turn spinners with Igor 3 blade props.  I sent one of his props to Tru Turn so they could cut the spinners to fit properly.  I think they have it listed under "igor 3 blade 12x5" prop. 

Rick

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 04:30:03 PM »
Crist,
I've used Tru Turn spinners with Igor 3 blade props.  I sent one of his props to Tru Turn so they could cut the spinners to fit properly.  I think they have it listed under "igor 3 blade 12x5" prop. 

Rick

Did you use their 5mm prop adapter kits too?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 10:20:19 AM »
Crist, another option is to buy an uncut carbon spinner from HobbyKing (also available on eBay) and cut your own blade slots.  For some reason, many of those spinners have a 10mm shaft hole in backplate, so an adapter is needed in most cases. I turned mine out of piece of mystery plastic.
For prop shaft adapters, I prefer the AXI version: https://www.espritmodel.com/prop-shaft-adapter-axi-5mm-x-m8.aspx
They come with spinner retaining hole already drilled and tapped for M3, and the included M3 screw is long enough for the above mentioned spinners. 
Hope this helps.

P.S. Knowing that you prefer clockwise props, which carbon 3-blade are you going to use?  The options are few...

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 04:15:08 PM »
Crist, another option is to buy an uncut carbon spinner from HobbyKing (also available on eBay) and cut your own blade slots.  For some reason, many of those spinners have a 10mm shaft hole in backplate, so an adapter is needed in most cases. I turned mine out of piece of mystery plastic.
For prop shaft adapters, I prefer the AXI version: https://www.espritmodel.com/prop-shaft-adapter-axi-5mm-x-m8.aspx
They come with spinner retaining hole already drilled and tapped for M3, and the included M3 screw is long enough for the above mentioned spinners. 
Hope this helps.

P.S. Knowing that you prefer clockwise props, which carbon 3-blade are you going to use?  The options are few...

I might end up using Igor's 12x5N tractor prop.  I got a lot of recommendations on using his prop.

How long is the shaft on the Esprit prop adapter?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 12:46:10 AM »
Look up Pol-Props by Tomasz Jadczak on facebook.
He has a lot of lightweight 3 blade electric props in right hand and left hand rotation.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 06:41:54 AM »
Look up Pol-Props by Tomasz Jadczak on facebook.
He has a lot of lightweight 3 blade electric props in right hand and left hand rotation.

Yeah, I saw those.  I have a pusher 11x6 coming.  Thanks.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 11:52:12 AM »

How long is the shaft on the Esprit prop adapter?

The shaft on that specific adapter allows for prop hubs between 6.5 - 15 mm thick.  Dimensional drawing is here: https://www.modelmotors.cz/product/detail/316/

Keep in mind that you will have to ream out the prop hub to 8mm.   

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 04:30:55 PM »
I can fix you up with a 2” spinner for the Igor prop.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 05:22:00 PM »
I can fix you up with a 2” spinner for the Igor prop.

Thanks Howard.  I'll keep that in mind for the next plane.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 05:32:36 PM »
Well guys, I flew a Chris Cox 3 blade "purple" pusher prop.  I never noticed that the 5mm to 6mm prop adapter had the end drilled for a 3mm screw that would hold on a spinner!  I cut a 2 1/4 inch HK CF spinner and flew it today.

What a difference between the CF prop and the APC 13x5.5 cut down to 11.75.  The corners were easier to start and stop.  The CF prop coming out of a corner seemed to lock on much better.

Now I want to increase the pitch a little to get the RPM close to 10K.  Its running 10.3K now with 5.3 lap times on 62 foot eye to eye lines.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 06:02:02 PM »
I never noticed that the 5mm to 6mm prop adapter had the end drilled for a 3mm screw that would hold on a spinner!  I cut a 2 1/4 inch HK CF spinner and flew it today.

Which prop adapter, and where to buy them?
Fred

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 09:59:34 PM »
Hello Crist,
Buy the carbon composite spinners from Tomasz Jadczak. They all have an M3 mounting screw that goes into the Hyperion propeller adapter M3 threaded shaft hole. You can also use a Scorpion propeller adapter, after drilling its shaft and threading it M3. I am using a 50 mm. dia. and 60 mm. length carbon composite spinner from Tomasz in my F2B Big Red. This spinner weighs only 17 grams with M3 mounting screw and aluminum backplate.

Lastly: you will get the carbon spinner from Tomasz that is not cut and can be customized for any 2, 3, and 4 blade propeller. Cutting is very easy if you use Drehmel and an appropriate cutting tool. You need to balance the spinner after cutting and for this, you will need a very good balancer - neodymium are the best. Spinner balancing and "fine-tuning" took three hours in my case but I have removed 15 grams from the nose of Big Red. Regards, M

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 10:07:59 PM »
Hello Crist,
Buy the carbon composite spinners from Tomasz Jadczak. They all have an M3 mounting screw that goes into the Hyperion propeller adapter M3 threaded shaft hole. You can also use a Scorpion propeller adapter, after drilling its shaft and threading it M3. I am using a 50 mm. dia. and 60 mm. length carbon composite spinner from Tomasz in my F2B Big Red. This spinner weighs only 17 grams with M3 mounting screw and aluminum backplate.

Lastly: you will get the carbon spinner from Tomasz that is not cut and can be customized for any 2, 3, and 4 blade propeller. Cutting is very easy if you use Drehmel and an appropriate cutting tool. You need to balance the spinner after cutting and for this, you will need a very good balancer - neodymium are the best. Spinner balancing and "fine-tuning" took three hours in my case but I have removed 15 grams from the nose of Big Red. Regards, M
Thanks Matt, I'll look into this.

I just received and flew his 3 blade 11 x 6 pusher prop! 
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Rob Duckering

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 05:02:55 PM »
Well guys, I flew a Chris Cox 3 blade "purple" pusher prop.  I never noticed that the 5mm to 6mm prop adapter had the end drilled for a 3mm screw that would hold on a spinner!  I cut a 2 1/4 inch HK CF spinner and flew it today.

What a difference between the CF prop and the APC 13x5.5 cut down to 11.75.  The corners were easier to start and stop.  The CF prop coming out of a corner seemed to lock on much better.

Now I want to increase the pitch a little to get the RPM close to 10K.  Its running 10.3K now with 5.3 lap times on 62 foot eye to eye lines.

thanks for these posts, great info!!!!!
Duck

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here