News:

• May 10, 2024, 02:23:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3 Blade Xoar Wood Propellor  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Jason Greer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
3 Blade Xoar Wood Propellor
« on: November 11, 2014, 10:53:26 AM »
Has anyone tried any of the 3 blade Xoar propellors?  They make a 10x5,11x5, and 12x5.  Do they compare at all to the carbon 3 blade props that are now available?
http://www.espritmodel.com/xoar-propellers-3blade-electric-pjie.aspx

Thanks,
Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: 3 Blade Xoar Wood Propellor
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 12:55:52 PM »
the smaller sizes are relativly new,, the smallest I recall was like a 14" previously,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 05:47:22 PM »
Has anyone tried any of the 3 blade Xoar propellors?  They make a 10x5,11x5, and 12x5.  Do they compare at all to the carbon 3 blade props that are now available?
http://www.espritmodel.com/xoar-propellers-3blade-electric-pjie.aspx

Thanks,
Jason

Did you look at the prices? Very similar to a CF prop. I think I'd prefer to go with CF.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 06:43:54 PM »
Thanks guys. I did see the prices. I was just curious if they were worth anything. I have a 12x5 two blade Xoar and it only weighs 13 grams.
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 04:20:18 AM »
I have 3bl 12" carbon prop which weights 16g  >:D

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 09:11:51 AM »
That's impressive Igor.  Are they commercially available?
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »
yes, several:

11x5
11x5 full carbon (26g)
12x5 narrow
12x5 UCT

we must wait until Tania finishes home page you will see also pictures :-))

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 05:27:09 PM »
That price is ridiculous, they're not even maple. The wood props always deteriorate where they are crushed by the prop washer especially beach wood. A purpose built CF prop for a little extra to support a fellow modeler is a no brainer imho.

MM

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 06:30:36 PM »
Thanks guys. I did see the prices. I was just curious if they were worth anything. I have a 12x5 two blade Xoar and it only weighs 13 grams.

The Xoar (and their cousins, the RSM props) are real good wood props. That 12-5 (or the RSM 12-5.5) would probably be quite good on a ST G.51 or similar. RSM props are made by Xoar, but are designed by Eric Rule, to an average of the old TF paddle blade and Rev-Up chords and pitches. Doesn't really seem scientific enough, but works fine. Sort of like turbulators on stunt models...if it works, it's good!  8) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 11:25:43 PM »
That price is ridiculous, they're not even maple. The wood props always deteriorate where they are crushed by the prop washer especially beach wood. A purpose built CF prop for a little extra to support a fellow modeler is a no brainer imho.

MM
youi are right,, they are not maple,, I think its Beechwood,, and its far more stable and consistant than maple structurally,, may not be as strong overall,, but in a prop,, consistant density and consistant grain are more critical IMHO,,
and a wood prop doesnt need to deteriorate,, I have  a wood prop on my Avenger that has been there since 2010,, with no issues,, except some minor nicks on the edges from gravel( its painted to match the plane so they show)
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline José Almeida

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 07:02:40 AM »
yes, several:

11x5
11x5 full carbon (26g)
12x5 narrow
12x5 UCT

we must wait until Tania finishes home page you will see also pictures :-))

Thank's Igor for the update.
I had take a look several times to web site, waiting new things :)
I will go waiting a litle more and I hope you suprise us! 8)

Jason.
No, I'm not trying yet. However the prices very high for a wood prop, that I prefer, like other pilots, buy in CF.  :o
I had bad results with 3 blade wood props.  HB~>

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 07:07:52 AM »
I wrote all and I deliveder pictures, now we are waiting for Tania, when she says "it is" (I will traslate - when she is happy with look of pages, my texts and quality of pictures) we will simply make it online :- ))))

hope she does not read and does not kick me that I am telling something too early :-P

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 07:22:55 AM »

Jason.
No, I'm not trying yet. However the prices very high for a wood prop, that I prefer, like other pilots, buy in CF.  :o
I had bad results with 3 blade wood props.  HB~>

I am not sure with prices, best props for ST60 are probably wood 3bl Havran props and they are more jewel then just prop and they are really not cheap, I wiuld say that well done wood prop must cost proximately the same price as carbon.

I do not use wood props just because carbon prop can have thinner blade at tips what will save Ah consumption. Modern hollowed CF props will also break when you hit the grass.

Offline Tania Uzunova

• Commander
  • It's something more about gravity ...
    • www.indoorgeebee.com
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »
Hi, boys
I also find really hard to see detail view in many websites, not only for props...the way I wish to .....and sometimes that's really holds me back to buy some product.
That's the reason I get little bit slow with the website, than Igor want to :P but for me was really important to show quality pictures and detail information as much as possible I am : )

So you can have look now on www.maxbee.net - Props section : )) and understand what I am talking about ; )

Just a small note, the website is still under construction and not all sections available yet, but ....well ; )) I just start it :P

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 05:58:16 PM »
Thanks Tania and Igor.

Your site looks great, Tania. Keep up the good work!
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here