News:

• April 16, 2024, 06:01:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2X electric Magician  (Read 2737 times)

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
2X electric Magician
« on: October 11, 2020, 10:05:53 AM »
This is going to be a build thread on an electric powered version of Pat Kings 900 square inch version of the Magician. It will be powered by a turnigy 4230 700 KV motor .  I have been doing a couple of surveys of people who have flown Magicians to determine if i am going to do any mods. Pats plan involves a cut out cored fuselage core of 2 layers of 3/8 inch balsa covered with 1/8 balsa and glow power is .60 size. I debated using an aviastar .60 but i have not flown a glo stunter for years now. It also gives me the more options of how i finish the plane.

Questions are welcomed any time. Iĺl post pics as i get them.    bob branch

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
Re: 2X electric Magician
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 10:27:29 AM »
Gonna put some popcorn on. This should be a good one!

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 10:50:12 AM »
I should probably mention that there is going to be a major mod to the wing structure. I started laying out ribs and was stunned how much balsa wood it requires for all those big ribs.  Also note the cost and availability of good balsa that has been discussed recently on other threads here. Well, I decided to use the Detroit solution, an I-beam wing. It requires a lot less wood. There is a lot less cutting involved, no leading or trailing edge sheeting required and they are durable. With people like Rick Sawicki, Bob McDonald, and Dennis Adamisin as mentors and with Bill Werwageś excellent video on the method its a no brainer. Besides I am a Detroiter and have never built one. Sacrilege!! Yea, I just  want to build one. ...bob

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 05:55:36 PM »
now if i can figure out how to load pics again and resize them in this differenct operating systems I will post a pic of the fiuse core. I incorrectly said the core was 2 layers of 3/8 in balsa. That was incorrect. It is 2 layers of 1/4 inch. A layer of 1/8 balsa is laminated to each side and doublers of 1/8 ply. The doublers do not have to be that thick but there would not be that much rigidity lost in the aft end if I went to 1/16 sheet over the balsa. I will add some carbon tow for stiffness in the aft end along the top and bottom.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 06:21:41 PM »
The thing I really like about an i-beam is that it is a self jigging structure. The leading edge, spar, and trailing edge pass thru the tip ribs and fuse which are all squared to each other. The wing cannot thus help but be straight....to do that there are two requirements... the fuse has to jig straight with the wing tips which support and align the spars, and it has to do it right side up AND inverted. Note there is no straight surface to do that with at the aft half of the fuse due to the canopy and turtle deck... so I just cut the top off to make it straight with the top front edge of the fuse and to align with the wing tips... this is the cut having been made.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 06:35:11 PM »
Next is to create these spars which are LONG on this bird with its 69 inch wing span. Of course these spars have to be created to get the lengths we need and they must be dead straight.  So first select some nice straight wood. Because of the large wing area and the long span i am deviating from normal i-beam construction and am using 3/8 inch balsa instead of 1/4 for the main spar and the trailing edge. Other reason is i have a good supply of straight /8 planks. So taking one that was dead straight I slided off a few pieces for the main spar.  I have always in my build threads noted when something does not go right and the workaround so I have too start right here. Both strips came right off the same board, right next to each other. I created a 45 degree scarf joint off center from mid wing and glued up on my bench. Used thick CA and end glued the joint it haven proven stronger than the wood before. Weighted it down and let it set overnight. This view is from the straight end to the odd end that i found the next morning.Not only did it twist but it it took a several inch curve! Same board, one piece right next to the other.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 06:52:33 PM »
So obviously this requires a redo. But it offered a nice opportunity to do some destruction testing of that scarf joint. So verticle loading placed mid joint til failure. Think the result pretty well argues that the 45 degree splice with thick CA is all you need to get a solid joint stronger than the material... and we have not even started to reinforce the spar yet. I had kind of anticipated some comments about this joint so this was a nice opportunity.

Online Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 02:37:12 PM »
Might I suggest using some thinner stock (say 3 x 1/8 or 2 x 3/16) to build up to the 3/8" thickness needed. May be easier to keep it from turning into a potato chip that way. Also, if you have it, laminate in some unidirectional carbon for added strength. Otherwise, I'd be using some carbon tow.  Either way, you should be able to get a nice, strong, lightweight spar that will resist trying to become a twisted-up, bent board.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 08:13:05 PM »
now if i can figure out how to load pics again and resize them in this differenct operating systems I will post a pic of the fiuse core. I incorrectly said the core was 2 layers of 3/8 in balsa. That was incorrect. It is 2 layers of 1/4 inch. A layer of 1/8 balsa is laminated to each side and doublers of 1/8 ply. The doublers do not have to be that thick but there would not be that much rigidity lost in the aft end if I went to 1/16 sheet over the balsa. I will add some carbon tow for stiffness in the aft end along the top and bottom.

Bob,
 I built the prototype for Pat and it is pictured on his site in the vendors section. It was glow powered but the fuselage was also built slightly different.I did use the 2 center pieces of the fuselage but then I used 3/32 balsa cut at a 45 degree angle right to left for one side and reversed for the other side. You could probably use it as a club or a bat it is that rigid. Model was 65 ounces when finished . The wing requires a good jig as it is fragile till built but more than up to the job when finished.
The plywood sides for the motor mount area to the wing were flush mounted to the fuselage and blended in to the fuselage skin. It is a great flyer and you should be more than happy with your new giant killer when done.
The plywood

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 01:33:32 AM »
Steve - I have a good true spar now. Cut of the old splice and spliced another piece in from another board,,, came out nice. Tomarrow i will laminate the rest of the spar structure. After Dennis´ comment on the aft fuse i do not think i will incorporate the carbon there.  With the heavier spar spec i will not need anything more in the wing and its going to be a sport plane though i did think of it. ...bob

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 08:42:02 PM »
Photo of spar center section showing bellcrank opening from front view with doubler and trippler on each side and 1/16 ply bellcrank pivot anchor doublers top and bottom. Funny looking joint where this doubler meets top of the spar is because I relieved the edge of the spar across the center section... little inconsequential opps.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 09:04:49 PM »
Photo of fuse and spar... yardstick gives size perspective. The wing openings have been cut. That is all there are. The cross shape is for the spar being slid in vertically and the span of the bellcrank horizontally. The mount pin will be thru the spar itself. Iĺl be using a 4 inch bellcrank.  The front vertical slot is for the leading edge (about 1 1/8 high X 1/4 inch) and the squarish one is for the trailing edge which will be 3/8 X 1/2. All these slide thru the fuse and are jigged square and level and glued to the fuse in the next step. There is no cut out for the wing. Whether its a full fuse or a profile as this model, i-beam wings are built the same, with the spars going thru the fuse and the wing being built around that. Jigging will become apparent in a step or two. When the spar is slid in it will have the bellcrank already mounted and the leadouts attached. Also the holes for attaching the landing gear will be drilled in the spar already. The gear will be mounted with substantial diameter copper wire to the spar.

The slots in the fuse running aft from the motor space are for 1/16 horizontally placed ply to act as fuselage stiffeners in the front. I have not relieved the front fuse between these because battery mounting will be based there. I am not cutting out the fuse and placing a seperate battery box because batteries last far less long than do airplanes, especially when there is no fuel soaking going on. Battery sizes and shapes change and a lighter one is not always advantageous. I have planes today that were built with battery packs that today are 4 ounces lighter than they used to be... Try to rebalance that by moving a pack an inch or so.  So I am accomodating what ever I may need in future battery shape, size and location by not having a fixed size box by what would work today.

Oh, the horizontal stab location is marked in cross hatch on the fuse core. It has not been cut out yet but will be next. The hinge line has been moved 5 inches (not a misprint) aft from where the stock magician plans would place it.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 09:15:22 PM »
Next step is to sheet the fuselage. Have to do that before the wing is built. So the ply stiffening spars will go into the front of the fuse, the ply doublers placed on each side of the fuse, and the sides sheeting. In this case to the back of the wing. Could be all the way but the fuse has to remain with a flat top side til the wing is jigged and has ribs. Thus a little deviation for the sheeting of this particular plane. stay tuned.

A common practice today is to incorporate a thin sheet of carbon fiber under the spar caps and along the front surface of the trailing edge Since i am sing oversized main spar and trailing edge i have elected to forego this step. It was not done back in the day and what i have is certainly strong enough. Could use the spar as a cricket bat!  Feel free to offer any questions or suggestions.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 12:50:31 PM »
Here is the fuse with these additions. The first is with the spar trial fit in. Second shows the aft section of the fuse. Noticee the tabs sticking up above the sheeting. These are the struts that were cut when the turtle deck was lopped off. I had to come up with a way to join the sheeting for the fuse and the turtle deck so i glued a spanner across each open area of the core thus giveing me a continuous edge to glue the turtle and fuse sheeting to so i can get a good match and finish. I diagonally sheeted the fuse as was suggested and did it in the opposite direction on the other side. No mods needed. It is a rigid as a cricket bat! No carbon elements required.  Tail gear wire installed per normal practice to an inset maple block.  Motor is also installed. Zero offset.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:12:53 PM by bob branch »

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 06:12:43 PM »
Hi Bob

Sounds good. The final test will come with the stab installed permanently and the fuse is held gently in a vise and you can put one finger on each stab tip and try to rock it from tip to tip. Then you will truly know how much torsional rigidity you have. If I was a betting man I'd say you will probably be happy.  ;)

Dan
AMA 33676

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 10:10:48 PM »
Dan - Back when i did the carbon tube profile build article i put one pound of weight on the tip of the stab and measured  twist vs a nobler and an SV-11 with the same weight on the elevator tips. The nobler was twice the SV-l11 deflection and the carbon tube fuse measured the same as the SV. I will do the same test on this bird. I think the result is going to be suprising from what i already feel.

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2020, 10:42:32 AM »
Very good Bob. I'm interested in your results.  ;D

Dan
AMA 33676

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2020, 02:33:30 PM »
Thanks Dan. I almost screwed up. Was doing preliminary sanding on the fuse and was contemplating cross section i would look for. I never achieved a teardrop cross section on a profile and was considering it.. picked the sanding block and had a case of measure X4 cut X1. Realized it was cored and I could not do that! Phew. Saves a lot of work too! And we all know there is nothing i hate more than sanding.  Well the edges are all going to be rounded except for the top in front of the canopy... leave that flat kinda like an early spitfire. You will not believe the next step. ...

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 07:10:46 AM »
You might want to consider a bigger motor. Assuming that you will end up with a 13-14in 2B prop that motor is going to be on the small size and get hot.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2020, 09:40:49 AM »
TDM - Thats always a consideration I have flown heavier than this model with same size motor with no issues. But its obviously something to evaluate on first flights. A .60 glow púlls it with authority. My thought is i will start with a 65 amp esc and a 13X6.5 EP prop. That should equal a .60 glow.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2020, 04:36:09 PM »
Why a rear mount instead of a front mount motor?   ???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2020, 06:43:30 PM »
Hi John. Basically because i have been using rear mounted motors on electrics both rc and cl for over 18 years now and have never had a failure in motor or mount and its much simpler and less expensive than any other method. Plus it lets me changed motors easily if I want to. Rick Sawicki has been using them longer than i have and he has never had a failure either. Your mileage may differ but If it aint broke, im not going to fix it unless i can do an improvement that makes a difference for me. ....bob

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2020, 02:11:11 PM »
Well dont worry, I have been working on the Magician, just not where a photo means much. Like sanding. Fuselage is all sanded. The ribs have been all sliced along with the half ribs. One of the convenient things with an ibeam is that the ribs are all created from the center rib template. The template is made from something hard. Some folks use aluminum. This had the advantage that when you are slicing the ribs with your preferred weapon (razor blade, scalpel, meat cleaver) the blade doesnt cut into the template. I dont do much metal work so i used 1/8 inch ply and hardened the edge with thin CA. Then I darkened the edge with a black marker so it had contrast visually with the balsa sheet i was slicing the ribs from. Ribs are sliced from 1/8 inch balsa sheet and are 1/4 inch thick. Measure the length of the template rib from the back of the leading edge which is 1/4 inch balsa to the front of the trailing edge which is sized to fit the front of the flaps thickness. Section it that length then tic mark each edge at 1/4 inch intervals. Set the rib template on the two marks front and back, hold it, and slice, preferably leaving your finger tip attached. Rib! Well half a rib cause you are going to have a top half and a bottom half, so you need twice as many as number of ribs the design calls for. Half ribs are also sliced the same way to be placed midway between the full length ribs. They go just past the wing main spar.

Some people use variouis forms of jigs to position the template to the sheet to slice the ribs. I am more of a connect the dots kind of guy. Always liked connect the dots puzzles as a kid too, and mazes!

The tip rib jig has been made too. It basically holds the tip aligned with the the center rib and holds the leading edge, main spar, and trailing edge in fixed position. The location, alignment, and incidence are all set with the two wing tip jigs and the fuselage openings that the leading edge, spar, and trailing edge pass thru. The fuselage top which is flat and aligned with the wing center line and tops of the tip jigs are all in alignment and flat to each other. Pics to follow.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2020, 08:32:15 PM »
This picture shows the wing jigged. If you magnify the pic (click on it) You will see the fuse is inverted on the edge i cut to be parallel to the wing root centerline (ie 0 degree incidence) there are a few 90 degree uprights holding it in position. The end tip rib is in the next pic for detail. The edge on the work surface is level and parallel with the fuse same with the one at the other end. The leading edge, trailing edge and spar are all in the same position as they are on the fuse. Its all aligned straight and perpendicular to the flat bench and the jigs are all glued to the worktable. A few assorted 90 degreeangles are glued to the worktop to hold alignments of components especially against displacement by the rib slices so the leading and trailing edges stay in alignment.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2020, 09:10:27 PM »
outboard view of fuselage jigged wing. The bellcrank is a suspended mount with the pin going thru the top and bottom ply doublers on the top and bottom of the spar, ie thru the spar. It is mounted off center to the inboard of the spar and the and the fuselage provides the security of the pin. The bellcrank is also reverse ounted, a 4 inch unit.  The inboard pic shows the bellcrank more clearly and the positioning of the first few of the rib slices. The tic marks are at one inch intervals. Full ribs are at 2 inch intervals, half ribs at one inch intervals between the full ribs. Prior to mounting any ribs when everything was fully aligned the spar, leading and trailing edges and tip ribs were all glued with thin CA. The tip ribs will be cut to the rib pattern (drawn on them) when the bottom ribs are all mounted.  All rib slices are glued with thin CA. The rib slices are mounted to leading edge first, then to the spar and finally trimmed to length and glued to the trailing edge.the fit to the top of the spar should be complete. If any adjustment is needed at each rib it is done at the individual ribs with either sandpaper or a razor plane. It takes very little adjusting. The rib slices should fit flush to the top of the leading edges and about 1/16 proud if the trailing edges t allow for final sanding.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2020, 09:35:54 PM »
The rest of the ribs slices will be laid on now. The area of the landing gear will not have its ribs yet however. The gear wire will mount to the spar with large diameter single strand copper wire clips. The copper is bent in a U, captures the gear (pattern drawn on spar... will not drill clip holes at the end til the wires are bent) and passes thru the two holes. On the other side it receive a twist and is trimmed and bent over. The holes on the spar that the copper wire passes thru ad the twists are then filled with epoxy and allowed to cure. Then the ribs in the landing gear area are mounted except for the ribs where the gear wire exits from the wing.  Iĺl show how to handle that in a little bit.

When the ribs are all laid, the gear are in, and the wing tip ribs are trimmed to the rib pattern the wing is ready for leading edge shapping and fairing and sanding. Application of wingtips, adjustable leadouts and weight box are all per normal proceedure. There will be 3 1/4 inch thick rib slices placed directly against each other on the fuselage outwards. This provides center section reinforcing and a surface for the covering to attach to at the fueselage.  When I get to that point i´ll do the next update. As you can see tough, its a fast wing to build. The most difficult part is just getting the jigs all aligned, fuse, and tip ribs.  Aligning everything one the parts for the jig were together was easy cause it all just falls into place. and just a few drops of CA and its aligned. When the bottom of the wing is done I will just lift it off the board (yes i glued the tip jig ribs to the bench but nothing a scalpel doesnt solve. The just flip it over, all the jig components will meet up flush on the board, secure them so the cannot move and put the top rib slices on. But alas, now Christmas gets in the way for a few days. ... Merry Christmas everybody,... bob

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2021, 01:51:38 PM »
Sorry it has been so long to continue on this thead. My wife is in end stage cancer and i have not been able to leave her most days even to go downstairs long enough to work. So a piece here and a piece there. At any rate it is in the bones now and I took a few pics today to share where it stands.  Next will be sheeting the upper section of the fuselage and the pushrods and covering. Will update when more progress permits. bob

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2021, 02:02:34 PM »
Hope your wife is good.  The Magician is looking great with the I-beam construction. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2021, 02:15:39 PM »
thank you John.... bob

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here