News:

• April 30, 2024, 11:35:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2nd electric strega takes flight  (Read 764 times)

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
2nd electric strega takes flight
« on: October 11, 2009, 01:26:54 PM »
This afternoon my electric Strega arc had its first trim flights. Temps were about 50 degrees, winds 12 to 15mph with gusts to about 18. Flew on 66 ft lines. Power system is dualsky XM4260CA5 680 KV, phoenix 45, turnigy lightmax 5S 3000 mah, Will Hubin 6a timer running in governor mode with fine rpm adjust through a remote pot on the outboard side of the fuse, APC 13X6.5E Pusher prop. Did two trim flights to check battery draw and lap times. 8000 rpm yielded 5.88 sec laps, but adequate line tension for round maneuvers. 8600 rpm yielded 5.01 sec laps with good line tension. 5.0 laps is where I fly my piped PA.51 Strega arf on the same lines. At Dennis Adamisin's recommendation I trimmed the flaps down from full span to 6 inches less than full span on each side. Its like I got power steering. I now have much more ability to adjust flight path in maneuvers and much less effort to do so. But it was very very noticable. Additionally the corner is dramatically better than with the full span flaps. The short flapped plane has a pronounced corner. The full flapped plane gives me the feeling of flying  tighter radius loops that kind present like a corner if you know its supposed to be there. The corner of this plane is very abrupt with no wing wobble or stall. Unlike my other Stregas there is no Rabe rudder on this one.

The result of all Brad's efforts on weight on the T-Rex are really illustrated in Stregas. Their weights are all over the place. Dennis' electric is I think 78 or 79 ounces on 6 cells. My glo arf is 79 ounces without fuel. My electric arc is 84 ounces. I'm only carrying about one ounce more motor than Dennis and the cover jobs are about equal weight.  So I think 8400 rpm will put me where I want lap time wise. I would have put in another flight or two but the wind was getting quite gusty and I really wasn't going to be able to assess much more accurately.

This is the 4th Strega I have owned. 2 arfs, two arc's. It is the heaviest by 3 ounces. And it flies by far the lightest of all of them. Go figure. I think its the flaps. Anyway, its certainly going to be a fliable model when its trimmed. I will be very suprised if I elect to compete with it vs the T-Rex with its weight. But its a very credible model.

The model is finished in ultracote black and the fuselage white is ultracote. Both applied with heat methods. The white on the wings is monocote applied with the Windex method. The stripes are 3M auto pinstriping tape in bright orange and bright yellow. The name is monocote bright yellow applied with the Windex method. I'll post current draw numbers once I get them worked out for the correct rpm next weekend.

bob branch
Harsens Island, Michigan

pic by Frank Carlisle

Alan Hahn

Re: 2nd electric strega takes flight
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 06:12:16 PM »
Bob,
As soon as you get it dialed in, don't forget to give its vital statistics in the "List your setup" thread.

It looks great.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 06:15:42 PM »
Thanks Alan. Yes, I'll post it and my some of my other electric stuff.

bob branch

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 07:25:35 PM »
Bob: CONGRATS on the test flights!  I know how anxious you were to gt this one in the air, and as an experienced Strega-driver you have first hand experience with how the _ pwoer compares to the Saitos and PA you used in earlier birds. Sounds like you do not have nay barriers to success.

BTW gang, I had a chance to see Bob's new bird up close & personal  when he borught over last Friday.  Bob really has a knack for Ultracote, and his simple black & white trim scheme played off the angular Strega very well. This is probably the best Strega I have ever seen.   CLP** H^^  8)

His new T-Rex will also be a knock-out, I am sure, plus it will be about 25% lighter.  THAT sounds like a peformance enhancement.

...and YES Alan I am a couple airplanes behind in the List your Set-up thread too...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 06:35:15 AM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 05:34:28 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Dennis.

bob

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here