News:

• April 19, 2024, 10:03:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2016 Electric Stunter Build Log  (Read 64626 times)

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
2016 Electric Stunter Build Log
« on: December 14, 2015, 09:23:25 PM »
OK guys, time to start another stunter.  This one will replace the Legacy 40 that I crashed this year.

Some vitals:
Average Wing Span = 56 in
Wing Area = 581 sq/in
Wing Aspect Ratio = 5.28
Flap Area Ratio = 16.8%
Tail Ratio = 27.9%
Tail Aspect Ratio = 4.6
Target weight = 50 oz
Motor will be a Cobra 3515/18 740Kv
Battery will be either a Thunder Power 5S 2700mah ProLite or a 5S 2450mah Zippy Compact
The ESC is a Jeti Spin 44 using Igor Burger's Active Timer

Here are some pdf's of the preliminary drawings.

The wing will be a Lost Foam type and be covered with Monokote along with the flpas, stab, and elevators.  The fuselage, fin, and rudder will be covered with 2/10 CF and SIG dope will be used per my usual practice.

Enjoy the drawings!

12-17-2015 - Added a more detailed full sized drawing to the DL list.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 07:32:35 PM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 2016 Electric Stunter Build Log
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 10:01:38 PM »
Very nice.  Do you load the battery from the side?

Um, regarding your vitals, if the wing span is 56 inches and the wing area is 581 square inches, the aspect ratio is 5.40.  Aspect ratio is defined as span squared over area.  As for the "volumes", they appear to be flap area / wing area and tail area / wing area.  Tail volume is something else.  There is no such thing as flap volume. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 10:56:43 PM »
Very nice.  Do you load the battery from the side?

Um, regarding your vitals, if the wing span is 56 inches and the wing area is 581 square inches, the aspect ratio is 5.40.  Aspect ratio is defined as span squared over area.  As for the "volumes", they appear to be flap area / wing area and tail area / wing area.  Tail volume is something else.  There is no such thing as flap volume.  

Thanks Howard.
No, top load.
I'll double check the A/R calc again.  The trouble is that the wing tips have a taper to them so what is the real wingspan....usually less.  i think I figured it out to about 55.375 in.

Concerning volumes, that's what I call them. I changed them to read ratios.  Yes, flap area divided by total wing area.  Same thing for the tail.  Yes, tail volume is really different from Ted's article if I recall correctly.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 02:26:41 PM »
I'm doing the Lost Foam wing jig first.  I glued the template drawings to 1/16 ply with 3M 77 spray glue.  I usually have a 3/4 ramp into the LE and a 1 ramp off the TE.  The LE ramp is angled at 30 degrees and has a 1/8 radius when it hits the LE.  I do this to aid me when I cut the foam.  This method allows the cutting wire to flow freely into the rounded LE of the airfoil.  I also made the TE a little thicker (about 1/32) at the tip due to the wire having to travel slower when cutting.  The slower moving wire has a tendency to "undercut' the foam slightly more than the rest of the airfoil.  Especially with 1# foam.  This jig is made with 2# foam.

After the airfoil is cut out the foam is sanded smooth and the LE flash is rounded off.  The cradles are then sanded and trued if need be.  These were right on the money!

Then I copied the rib locations to the foam to be cut into individual rib jigs.  The cradles will be glued together and the the rib, spar, and TE sheeting will be drawn onto the cradles.  Stay tuned.

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 03:55:41 PM »
Hi Crist, I haven't frequented the forum lately. Just saw the demise of the L-40 Sorry !! Good luck on the new plane, I'll keep an eye on your progress... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !!

Leester, Bear and Helga !! BTW GO HAWKS !!

Leester
ama 830538

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 09:19:32 PM »
Thanks Lee, hope you and Helga have a Merry Christmas too!

I did some more work on the LF jig.  I cut out the individual templates for each rib, transferred the spar. rib, brace and TE sheeting onto the jig.  I also smeared some glue on the edges of the templates.  I also cut out the LE buck and glued it to 1/2 plywood base.  I tried a novel way of clapming down the foam to the plywood.  My bench has some holes for the fuselage jig and I used them to lace some #64 rubber bands through and kept in place with a small length of dowel then held down on the other side with a pin.  Worked out great!

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 06:44:32 PM »
I added a more detailed full size plan set to the OP.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 09:15:42 PM »
I finished smearing the glue and sanding the LF jig blocks.  They are ready to start making ribs.

The LE buck is dry and I made up 2 LE sheets.  Each is made up from a 2" center piece and 2 3" end pieces.  The center sheet is cut from a 4" wide 1/16 A grain 5.8# balsa sheet.  This allows the grain to run parallel to the LE so it will wrap around it without any problems.  The end pieces are made from 8# balsa.  The "taper" is cut from each end piece.  I have the grain running parallel to the spar.  So the taper is cut where the end piece meets the center piece.  I feel thus gives me the most strength.  The 3 pieces are joined using thin CA glue as per Bob Hunt's method.  One the glue has cured, the LE sheeting is then sanded with 220 grit and a sanding bar.  A quick hit with the vacuum and there are ready to be molded.

I soak the LE sheeting in hot water in the bath tub.  No ammonia used at all!  I let the sheeting soak for at least 45 minutes.  Then the excess water is rubbed off and the the sheet is blotted on both sides with a paper towel.  Time to go on the LE mold.  I use 2 pieces of masking tape about 3" longer on each side about 4 inches in from the end of the sheeting.  I then place the mold in position and then pull up the root side of the sheeting onto the mold.  Sorta rolling the sheeting onto the mold.  I then use the tape to hold it into position.  Then I do the same near the tip.

I use 4" wide bed sheet material to wrap the sheeting to the mold.  This won't mar the sheeting like an ACE bandage will.  (Thanks to Al Rabe for this tip.)  I start at the root side and have the end of the wrap on the bottom of the mold then I start winding.  I have the end on the bottom so it doesn't mar the balsa.  The far end of the 4" wrap is secured to my bench with a short piece of maple motor mount and a spring clamp.  I proceed to wrap the mold with about 50% overlap keeping the bed sheet material nice and smooth.  We don't want to mar the balsa.  When I reach the end of the wrap and there is more balsa to be wrapped, I use a piece of masking tape to secure the end of the first wrap and start a second wrap just like the first.  The second wrap is secured with masking tape also.  The whole thing will be left out in the sun fro a few days to dry real good.  Then the second LE sheeting will be molded.  I found out if you pull the sheeting off the mold too soon, it has a tendency to "open" up and not be the true shape that we want it to be.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 03:22:27 AM »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 09:15:20 AM »
Crist, you sure do great work.  Will be keeping track of this one.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 12:03:57 AM »
Thanks John.

Been cutting out ribs and such.  Pictures and more on Monday.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 01:54:25 AM »
I use 4" wide bed sheet material to wrap the sheeting to the mold.  This won't mar the sheeting like an ACE bandage will.  (Thanks to Al Rabe for this tip.)  I start at the root side and have the end of the wrap on the bottom of the mold then I start winding.  I have the end on the bottom so it doesn't mar the balsa.  The far end of the 4" wrap is secured to my bench with a short piece of maple motor mount and a spring clamp.  I proceed to wrap the mold with about 50% overlap keeping the bed sheet material nice and smooth.  We don't want to mar the balsa.  When I reach the end of the wrap and there is more balsa to be wrapped, I use a piece of masking tape to secure the end of the first wrap and start a second wrap just like the first.  The second wrap is secured with masking tape also.  The whole thing will be left out in the sun fro a few days to dry real good. 

Thanks for the bed sheet tip. 

I won't be putting anything out in the sun, though.  If you leave something out in the sun here, it just gets wetter.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 03:50:49 PM »
Cool radio, does that get FM?

MM

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »
Cool radio, does that get FM?

MM

It's a 1936 Philco 60B radio that I restored electrically and the also redid the cabinet.  It receives AM and SW only.  No FM.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 12:34:04 AM »
I've been cutting out ribs, making LE and TE, and molding the 2nd LE sheeting.  I made up my spars using 8# 1/16 balsa.  Getting close to start assembling the wing.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 11:10:18 AM »
Like those spars.  Can you post a close-up of one of the ribs.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 11:45:22 AM »
Cool construction.  It took me awhile to figure how you get the ribs onto the spar.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 02:27:16 PM »
Hi Crist.  I admire your radio restoration.  I'm also into restoration of Heathkit and other old ham radios.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 10:41:12 PM »
Like those spars.  Can you post a close-up of one of the ribs.

How's this?  More pictures in a few posts down.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 10:42:41 PM »
Thank you Howard.  I've used this type of construction before but never used wing mounted LG.  This one will have the LG in the wing.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 10:45:33 PM »
Hi Crist.  I admire your radio restoration.  I'm also into restoration of Heathkit and other old ham radios.

Floyd

Thank you.  I don't know if you are aware of it, Brett Buck does this stuff too!  It is a nice change of pace and it is a great feeling to hear a 70 year old radio play again!  I have years worth of radios to restore.  My next "radio" project will be a B&W TV from the early 50's. 
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 11:33:38 PM »
OK, lots got done today.  I finished the prep work and started building the wing.  Left side first then the right side.

First thing I wanted to show you guys was the jig & fixture I use to notch the spars for the ribs.  I built a sliding fixture that I hold the spar against either for a straight cut or an angled left or right cut.  The saw is a cheapie Harbor Freight saw.  It is cheap but gets the job done.  In reality it is pretty gutless.  The blade is 1/16 wide and I set the height to 1/4 inch above the floor of the fixture.  The hardest part is making sure you cut the correct angle at each rib location.  

BTW, If this looks like a Morris Millennium type of construction, you're right.  But it has my take on it.  I might call it the Lost Millennium wing construction.  I used the Lost Foam jig to cut out the ribs and the jig blocks to build the wing.  The LE does have a 1/16 sheet running from root to tip.  This 1/16 is wider that the standard Millennium construction.  This is when the wing is ready for the LE sheeting, I plan on cutting off the 1/4 inch Millennium LE, leaving the 1/16 and then go back to the Lost Foam jig to glue on the molded LE.  I'll let you know how it works out.  I did take the left wing panel and placed it in the LF jig and it fit perfectly.  I know what you're asking.  Why didn't just go with the LF construction?  Well my foam near the TE has a very small scallop to it.  About maybe 1/32 inch.  Guess I'm out of practice of cutting foam.  I think also that the foam is 2# stuff and I hurried the wire ever so slightly, which produced the small scallop.  Morris Millennium wing give dead straight TE.  

I taped down a full size drawing of my wing to my building glass.  The TE jig blocks are glued to the glass using medium CA.  The ribs are then put into the spars by sliding the spar through the large hole in the middle then the rib is rotated to its position on the spar.  You'll notice that the spar location is marked on each rib.  When all the ribs are on the spar except the root and tip ribs, the ribs are inserted onto the TE.  Each rib has a 3/32 slot cut into it for this.  The 3/32 comes from 3 layers of 1/32 balsa with the middle layer going cross grain and skipped at each hinge location to form the hinge slots.  

Then the ribs are positioned on the 1/16 LE again using 1/16 slots.  The 1/4 inch large balsa "LE" are used only to help keep the LE straight and also fits the jig blocks.  I made the 1/16 LE sheet 1/8 inch wider than normal so I could pin a 1/8 square against the 1/4 balsa.  This is my "locator" for the LE of each rib.  Once the ribs are glued to the LE 1/16  sheet it was removed.  I'm sure the pictures will make this a lot clearer.

I then make sure the ribs are positioned and that the TE are up against the 1/4 balsa.  Then the TE are glued with medium CA and a Teflon tube to control the amount of glue used.  Then the LE is glued.  On to the spar.  It is glued to the root and tip ribs first.  Then I used a straight edge to align the spar so it is nice and straight.  I also check it it is vertical.  The the top of the spar is glued.  I then pull the wing panel from the TE jig blocks and turn it over to get the bottom.  The TE is inserted into the jig blocks and the LE jig blocks are weighted down as before.  The TE then the LE are glued then the spar is straitened and glue like the top side.  The wing panel is flipped over and the wing is sanded lightly with a long bar sander and the TE sheeting is glued on using Pica Gluit.  The it is flipped back upside down to get sanded and the TE sheeting added.

That's where I'm now.  I also have the LG mounts epoxied and drying over night.  Those will go in tomorrow and the LE sheeting will be added.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:02:56 AM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 11:36:34 PM »
More pictures.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 11:52:11 PM »
One last picture of the shop.  Enjoy.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 09:08:57 AM »
Wow!  That is a really cool construction method.  Can't wait to watch this build thread.  Thank you for taking the time to document everything!
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 09:34:25 AM »
Back to the radio for a minute, beautiful job on the chassis restoration. Were you able to restore the dial or is that a reproduction? I am sure it never looked that good when new. I have a similar-vintage Zenith in a stand-up cabinet that produces beautiful sound, on AM and SW. All original, though the tubes have been replaced from time to time. Bought it for $5 at a rummage sale around 1960.

Oh, and the model is pretty impressive too. Nice touch building in the trailing edge partial ribs in advance, never thought of doing it that way. Your shop is too clean to be real, must be a retouched photo.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 10:37:00 AM »
I'm lovin'it!!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 10:49:39 AM »
Back to the radio for a minute, beautiful job on the chassis restoration. Were you able to restore the dial or is that a reproduction? I am sure it never looked that good when new. I have a similar-vintage Zenith in a stand-up cabinet that produces beautiful sound, on AM and SW. All original, though the tubes have been replaced from time to time. Bought it for $5 at a rummage sale around 1960.

Oh, and the model is pretty impressive too. Nice touch building in the trailing edge partial ribs in advance, never thought of doing it that way. Your shop is too clean to be real, must be a retouched photo.

Thank you.
The dial is a repro from Radio Daze.  The original was broken.
Be careful playing the Zenith with all original parts.  The electrolytics and paper caps can cause real problems.  
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2015, 08:31:24 PM »
This morning I epoxied in the LG mounts.

While the LG mounts were drying, I added the TE shear webs.  They are made from 1/16 4.5# balsa.  I used my shear web cutting jig to get the right size.  Remember that the grain goes vertical.  The TE shear webs support the TE sheeting but more important they give the TE area great strength by making the TE area a box.  Very strong with very little weight gain. 

I included a quick peek inside of the TE to show the 1/32 lamination's and how a hinge slot was formed.

The LE sheeting next!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 08:42:25 PM »
I've been debating on the best way to do the LE sheeting.  I see going 1 of 2 ways.  

First is just like the Lost Foam method which means cutting off the Mille LE and sanding the 1/16 balsa nice and straight.  Also I won't be able to use the Mille jig blocks on the TE.  Maybe not a big deal since the TE shear webs were added.

Second was to split the LE sheeting on the center line and glue it to the wing ala Mille method.  This would require a careful cut and a good fit at the 1/16 sheeting on the very LE.  The good is that I can keep the Mille jig blocks not only for the TE, but the LE as well.

I thought about the 2 methods for awhile then I decided to take a nap!  Now that I'm retired, thinking wears me out.   :)

The decision is coming.......stay tuned!  Kinda like the LeBron thing a few years ago, huh?  LOL!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:23:01 PM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »
OK, I decided to keep the Mille jig blocks and split the LE sheeting.  It worked out good!  I don't know how well I did with the joint at the 1/16 LE sheet till I cut off the Mille LE pieces.  Right now the LE sheeting is glued on with Pica Gluit, and the 1/16 6.6# cap strips have been added top and bottom.

I then glued the halves together with some 15 minute epoxy ala Lost Foam method.

On to the bell crank mount and the sheeting.  This thing is strong and hopefully light.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2015, 10:31:44 AM »
I love the construction of this wing.  Too bad you have to hide it under paint. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2015, 12:38:54 PM »
I love the construction of this wing.  Too bad you have to hide it under paint. H^^

I hear ya.  I'll hide it under Monokote though.  y1
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2015, 01:24:10 PM »
I have a feeling that some transparent Kote would go well....

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »
Marcus, I'm sure it would!

Today I built the tip weight box and made up my bell crank and lead outs.

First the tip weight box.

I make the sides my boxes from 1/8 Lite-Ply 1" tall with the grain going vertical.  2 pieces are 7/8" wide and 2 are 1 1/8" wide.  These are glued using thin CA to form the box and then trued up on my disc sander.  I then use 1/64 ply for a "skirt" for the cover.  On 3 sides they are 3/4" tall with the grain going vertical and 1 side is 1 1/2 tall.  This side will be glued to the main spar doubler at the outermost rib bay.

The bottom is 1/8 Birch ply with a 4-40 T-Nut installed in the center.  This is glued to the box using thin CA.  I then bevel the edges with my disc sander to prevent the edges from "digging" in anywhere while I do the installation of the box.

I then make a mark 3/8 down from the top to locate my 1/64 ply skirt.  These are glued on with CA one at a time and trimmed with my disc sander.  The last piece that is 1 1/2" tall is glued like the rest.

The cover is made form 3/32 Birch ply with a 7/64 hole in the center.  I then glue a 4-40 washer centered over the hole with thin CA.  This will prevent the 4-40 socket head screw from digging into the cover.  I then cut a hole in some 1/32 balsa to clear the washer.  I used 3/8 balsa for the top layer and drill a 7/32 hole in the center. A small piece of 7/32 OD aluminum tubing is then epoxied into the hole.  This will form a nice neat "pocket" for the head of the socket screw.  When dry I sanded the "bottom edge flat and glued to the 1/32 balsa using medium CA.  To align the top 3/8 balsa I inserted a 4-40 socket head screw into the aluminum tubing, then down through the 7/64 hole in the top 3/32 ply piece.  It'll be a tight fit and you may have to open the hole up slightly.  When dry I'll saw it down and do a final fit using my disc sander.  Then the cover, while being screwed to the box will be sanded down flush with the LE sheeting.

The tip weight box, unsanded cover and screw weighs 9 grams.

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2015, 09:32:11 PM »
I mounted the tip weight box in the outer most rib bay.  When I made up the spars, I used a piece of 1/16 balsa as a shear web to cover the entire bay.  The tip weight box will be glued to this balsa along with the LE sheeting.

To locate the box I pushed a pin down through the LE sheeting to locate the 1/16 shear web and the angle ribs.  Once these were located I drew a line there and placed the box on that line and traced around the remaining edges to locate the cut out in the LE sheeting.  I cut along the marks and did some small detail sanding for a good fit.  I want the box to be snug up against the shear web.  Once located properly, I then used medium CA to glue the box the the shear web from the hole in the web and the hole in the tip rib.  I then glued the box to the LE sheeting using thin CA.  The 1/64 ply skirt will first be sanded down to the LE sheeting then the cover will be carved and sanded to its final shape.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2015, 10:08:46 PM »
On to the bell crank.

I make my bell cranks from 1/8 linen phenolic.  They are4 inch cranks with a 5/8 push rod throw.  Yeah I like "slow" controls.  Once the shape is cut out, filed and sanded to shape, I epoxied on 5/16 squares on either side of the crank where the post will go.  This serves 2 purposes.  It provides more bearing surface, but most important it keeps the crank from tipping on the shaft.  Once cured, I drill a #30 hole for the 1/8 music wire post.  The #30 drill is just slightly larger than 1/8 and gives a nice fit for the post.

Time to solder the crank in position on the post.  I sand and clean the post.  I then drilled a 1/8 hole straight down using my drill press through some hardwood maple motor mount stock that I have.  The post will be tight fit in this hole.  I then use a 4-40 fender washer and a 1/8 line eyelet on the shaft.  These are soldered to the shaft.  The shaft is flipped over, the bell crank is installed on the post, fender washer, and finally another 1/8 line eyelet.  Again these are soldered to the post.  When cooled, it is cleaned with acetone and some circuit board cleaner to remove any flux residue.  The crank should spin freely but with out any tipping.  I added some chain lube and now it's ready for the lead outs.

I use .027 stranded lead out wire I got from MBS Supply.  Good people!  I also bush the bell crank with some 1/16 OD brass tubing that has been annealed with a propane torch till cherry red then allowed to cool naturally.  Each tube is 2 1/2 long.
I mark the center of each tube and thread the LO so that about 2 1/2 to 3" sticks though.  BTW the bell crank holes for the LO is 5/64" with the edges ever so slightly beveled with 1/4 drill.  I insert the tube to the halfway mark and bend both ends around till they meet.  If I see that one end is a little longer, I hold the short end still and keep bending the long end till the match.  I put a small bend in the LO so that both ends are parallel so I can wrap them a lot easier with copper wire.  I use 28awg wire from MBS Supply.  I tape the free end to the LO and then put some pull on the LO end to make wrapping easier.  I wrap them like the AMA book, fold the free end back and wrap them again.  Both ends are then twisted together, cut off, and folded along the the wrapped section.  I then use 1/8 clear heat shrink tubing 5/8 long to hold it all together.  This way it will remain flexible.

I then bolt on a 4-40 ball link I get from Tom Morris.  

The crank, post, ball link, and lead outs weighs 20 grams.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2015, 07:52:32 AM »
Good work as usual Crist
AMA 12366

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2015, 09:59:06 AM »
Good work as usual Crist

Thank you Bob.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2015, 11:23:09 AM »
Hope I can remember all of this on the weight box.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2015, 08:12:39 PM »
John,
You won't have to remember.  Just follow this thread!

I made up the bell crank supports from basswood just like the LF method.  I notched them where the ribs and spar pieces were.  These were epoxied in using 30 minute epoxy and let cure overnight.  Then the bell crank was epoxied to the supports.  I had to cut out some spar material to clear the ball link screw.  I did mount the bell crank about 1/8" high to be sure I clear the LG mounts with the LO.  Maybe the bell crank could have been a little lower.  I also relocated a rib vertical support a little further aft just to be sure the LO don't get hung up on it.

I then sheeted the tips and center section using 6.5# balsa using my Pica Gluit.  Once dry I removed the wing from the Mille jig blocks and cut off the 1/4 balsa Mille LE.  The joints were very good.  I think what I'll do next time is to make the LE sheeting up as before but instead of molding them, I will just true up the LE then glue it straight down on the 1/16 piece of balsa.  When dry, then wet just the outer side of the sheeting and then glue it down over the ribs and spar.  Then trim it to width.

I gave the wing a quick sanding down with some 220.  BTW I'll use the LF jig to support the wing from now on.

I also sanded the tip weight box cover to the airfoiled shape.

I drew a line 1/16 in toward the hinge line on the TE to guide me when I taper it. I'll sand that next.  Then on to the LG mounts and wing tips.

Weight so far as it sits - 6.7 ounces.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2015, 07:39:22 AM »
Looking real good Crist.. I sure hope the Tornado's missed you !!! The National news mentioned your town as having been hit by the bad weather..
Leester
ama 830538

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2015, 08:45:53 AM »
Thanks Lee.

No tornadoes, but severe weather.  We are all OK.  North Dallas got hit big time.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2015, 11:20:20 PM »
Next up I sanded the TE to a tapered shape.  I did not round the TE yet.  Waiting for the wing tips, then it'll get rounded.

I use a piece of 1" masking tape along the TE overlapping the cap strips about 3/8 inch.  The tape overlap helps prevent from "catching" a cap strip with the sandin bar when sanding the TE.  Also I use the tape as an "indicator" when I'm planning down the TE.  When I hit the tape with the block plane, time to stop and switch to the sanding bar.  One of the pictures shows the TE after sanding.  The "guide" line is just visible.

Then I worked on the LG mounts and covers.  I used 6# 1/4 balsa on each side and 6# 1/8 balsa fore and aft.  These were fitted and glued in using thin CA.
The covers are 1/32 ply with 6# 1/4 balsa filler and 7/32 al. tubing for the socket screw pockets.  These were epoxied in using 30 minute epoxy.  Then trimmed to fit and sanded down to the airfoil.  Again masking tape was used like on the tip weight box cover.  The covers will be reduced on each side to allow room for the Monokote.  Of course they have to be notched for the LG wire yet.

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2015, 11:40:28 PM »
The LO guide is made up of 3 pieces of 3/32 bass wood.  Then laminated with the center piece the grain is running vertical.  I used medium CA to glue them together.  I then drew a center line and placed a mark every 1/4 inch for each adjustment.  I then drilled each hole at a slight angle so the LO exit the tip pretty close to straight.  I used a 7/64 drill.  Then I created the slot using my ancient Dremel jig saw.  I run in from one side.  The I use a small piece of 1/64 ply to close the gap with some thin CA.  I used some sandpaper to sand and enlarge the slot for the LO wire.  I then tapped each hole using a 6-32 tap.  Once done, a quicK hit with some thin CA.  Then re-tapped again.  Some sanding, etc to clean it all up.  The LO adjusters will be 2 6-32 socket head screws, hence the 6-32 threads in the LO guide.  Then the guide is sanded down to 1/4" wide with my disc sander.  

I made up the wing tips using 5.5# balsa.  I traced the top view and then pinned each tip to the wing to trace the airfoil.  Then to the band saw.  Once they were sawn out, I drew a center line on the outside for a guide when rough shaping.  I then used my disc sander with a "rolling" motion to rough shape each tip on the outside.  I then traced a line about 1/8 in as a guide to aid the hollowing.  I used a Sullivan 1/2 carbide ball in my Dremel tool and slowly "carved" out the insides of each tip.  When done a few minutes with some 120 grit and they were ready to glue on.  The inboard tip had the LO guide added.  The tip edges were moistened with water and glued on with Pica Gluit.  Then tape clamped to dry.

The tips with the LO guide weighs 14 grams.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 11:59:39 PM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Commander
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2015, 04:15:56 PM »
Crist, that wing is a masterpiece, well done

You sure are getting it together at an impressive pace too.

I'll be watching this build with great interest.

Dan
NZL7396

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2015, 08:21:08 PM »
Thanks Daniel.  

Today I sanded the tips to shape and rounded the TE.  Did some touch-up sanding elsewhere and cut out for the flap push rod.  All that's left to do is to terminate the LO some minor filling here and there and then detail sanding.  Then it'll be ready to cover.

I always add a drop or 2 of thin CA on the tip TE to preserve the shape.  Look closely!

The wing weighs as it sits with LG covers and screws, and tip weight box cover and screw - 203 grams - 7.14 ounces.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:50:12 AM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2015, 10:17:50 PM »
Holy mackerel! That is wonderful, Crist! Makes me want to throw my new wing in the garbage and turn out the shop lights!
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2015, 10:47:33 PM »
Holy mackerel! That is wonderful, Crist! Makes me want to throw my new wing in the garbage and turn out the shop lights!

Thanks Jason.  I know you build light too being a FF modeler!  The wing is straight. dead nuts straight, and very rigid!  I'm a happy camper.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2015, 09:36:49 PM »
Today I built the stab between naps.  I'm feeling a bit under the weather.  Posts will be slow over the next few days till I feel better.

I used 2 pieces of 7.8# 3/16 x 1/2 balsa and some 1/32 balsa to form the hinge slots for the TE.  The LE and tips were built with the same stuff.  I used medium CA to glue them together.  Then on the LE and TE I used some .007 unidirectional carbon fiber to stiffen them up.  the CF was glued to the LE and TE using medium CA.

The "ribs" are 7.3# 1/8 balsa.  These were stripped a little higher than the LE and TE so they could be sanded down flush.  I really don't like it when a rib goes below the LE or TE.  The ribs and sheeting were glued with thin CA.  I put 2 holes in each rib to allow air to escape through a 1/4 hole in the bottom sheeting when I Monokote the stab.  And any subsequent tightening up in the future.  The sheeting is 1/16 7.4# balsa.

The top sheet was glued to the ribs using Pica Gluit and the the LE and TE with thin CA because the sheeting butts up against the CF.

Then it was all sanded down, the TE rounded and the LE brought to an ellipse shape.  The tips rounded off and the TE tips were given the thin CA treatment.  All that's left to do is detail sand it then it'll be ready to cover.

The stab as it sits weighs 35 grams.  9 grams under budget.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here