News:

• April 24, 2024, 06:27:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2016 Electric Stunter Build Log  (Read 64664 times)

Offline ash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
Re: 2016 Electric Stunter Build Log
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2015, 02:39:18 AM »
Wonderful stuff. I'll be coming back to this thread for inspiration and reference once I get my own projects back to positive progress.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2015, 09:27:11 PM »
Ash,
You're one reason why I take the time to do this build log.  

I built the elevators today.  Very similar to the stabilizer except there is no CF on the LE and TE edges.  The framework is made up of 1/2 x 3/16 9# balsa with a piece of 6# 1.32 balsa in between.  These were glued using medium CA.  The root and tip filler was made up from 5.8# 3/16 sheet and the same 1/32 balsa.  Again glued using medium CA.  The frame work was glued together using Pica Gluit and the 1/8 7.3# ribs were glued in using thin CA.  A hole was punched into each rib to allow air to escape when Monokoting.  The exit holes will be next to the hinges.  

The horn clips are made from 1/8 Lite-Ply and 1/64 plywood.  The 1/8 Lite-Ply is less than the 1/8 O.D. aluminum tubing so the 1/64 ply gets to the right dimension and also adds some strength.  Note the grain of the 1/8 Lite-Ply is vertical.

The location of the horn clips is determined by using some 1/32 plywood pieces 3/4 wide and about 1 long.  These are slipped into the stab TE hinge slots and the elevators are then slip on the extruding plywood.  I marked the location of my offset horn location and filed a small slot in the stab TE to locate and keep the horn in position.  Then the clips were turned upright and 90 degrees to the elevators.  A small mark was then made near the LE of elevator on each side of the clip.  I then disassembled the elevators from the stab and used a 90 degree triangle to draw the cut lines on the elevator.  A quick trip to the jig saw and the clips were ready to glue in.  They were glued to the elevators using thin CA.

I then made up from 1/16 bass wood the "pocket" for my Rabe Rudder horn.  This was glued to the root of the right side elevator on the bottom.  I then capped that off with another piece of 1/16 basswood.  The left elevator same the same treatment sans pocket.

Then then were sanded smooth and are ready to get tapered.  That will happen tomorrow.  I'll use the Perret Bar method.

Each elevator weighs 20 grams as they sit.  I'm expecting them to loose 25% or 5 grams when tapered.  If they come out to 14 or 15 grams each when all done, then they will be right on budget.  I think I can make that weight.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:18:29 PM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2015, 06:23:38 AM »
Hi Crist

The new bird looks phenomenal.  The quality is outstanding and it looks like you should finish well ahead of your target weight - your power system is never going to know there is an airplane behind it!

Keep the pictures coming.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2015, 11:39:52 AM »
Thanks Crist for this,  the pictures sure clear up what this old man is reading. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2016, 12:17:38 PM »
Happy New Year everybody!

Thanks Dennis and Doc.

I tapered the elevators using the Perret Bar method.  See here reply #10: http://stunthanger.com/smf/building-techniques/building-tapered-flaps/

The TE are 3/32 high and will remain squared.  I rounded off the LE, then added the notch for the control horn wire (3/32).  I then assembled the thing and trimmed and sanded the tips.  Again, a couple drops of thin CA was used to preserve the crisp corners.

The elevators came to 14 grams each.  Right on target!

I did some figuring today and between the wing, stab, and elevators, I'm under budget 27 grams, almost an ounce.  BTW my budgets are for a 49 ounce airplane.  I'm shooting for 50 ounces knowing that some weight will creep in.  So far so good!

On to the flaps.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 07:36:17 PM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2016, 01:06:20 AM »
...your power system is never going to know there is an airplane behind it!

I've had power systems like that.  That's why they make us put safety cables between the bellcrank and engine in combat planes.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2016, 05:31:29 PM »
I've had power systems like that.  That's why they make us put safety cables between the bellcrank and engine in combat planes.

Something like this?

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2016, 10:24:41 PM »
Christ, this is amazing. Thank you for posting the pics. I'm going to take some of your ideas and incorporate what you got going on in my next big plane. I got three 1/2a's to finish up first.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2016, 07:36:21 AM »
Christ, this is amazing. Thank you for posting the pics. I'm going to take some of your ideas and incorporate what you got going on in my next big plane. I got three 1/2a's to finish up first.

Glad you can glean something useful.  Say hi to Alan S. for me.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2016, 06:45:47 PM »
Dean Pappas

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2016, 10:34:40 PM »
Been down with the flu lately so not much has been done.  Tomorrow I post pictures of my flaps.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2016, 07:25:04 AM »
Yuck!  Hope you are feeling better, Crist.
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »
Feeling a little bit better.

On to the flaps.

I decided to go with flat solid flaps.  The material I used was some 1/8 7.8# and some 1/32 8.5# balsa.  I cut out the blanks out of the 1/8 sheet with the grain running parallel to the TE.  I then glued the 1/32 sheet so that it would be true cross-grain to the 1/8 balsa.  I laid out the hinge locations on the 1/32 balsa and cut them out.  I then transfer the hinge locations to the top and bottom sheets using a pen.  I then use some masking tape to prevent any epoxy glue in the hinge slots.  

I use some MGS L285 laminating resin to glue each flap together.  I carefully measure out the proper proportions on a 10X (I can measure down to 1/10 gram) scale adapter I made.  I saw this in a magazine and it was either Larry Renger or De Hill was the author.  I spread the epoxy on using my notched tool and the removed each piece of tape, then apply the 1/32 balsa to the 1/8 sheet.  Then the other sheet gets its epoxy applied, then it is put into place.  The excess epoxy is then wiped away and then weighted down on a flat surface over night.

When fully cured I trimmed the flaps to the the proper size except the root side.  Those will be trimmed when I install the horn clips.

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2016, 11:14:51 AM »
I make the horn clips just like I did with the elevators.  1/8 Lite-Ply and 1/64 ply laminate.  Glued using medium CA.  The aluminum tubing is glued in using medium CA on both sides.  Then the clips are cut out and the height is made very close to the height of the flap.  The clip location is done by installing the flaps using 1/32 ply for the hinges and centering the flap horn.  The clips are placed on the flaps and their location is marked on each flap.  The flap is removed and a line is drawn from the mark along the root of the flap using a 90 degree triangle to the LE.  The flap is trimmed and the clips are glued in place using medium CA.  The clips are then capped with 1/8 basswood with medium CA.  The 1/8 basswood is notched for the control horn wire.

The flaps LE and TE were sanded round and the the tips were rounded to match the wing tip shape.

Each flap weighs 31 grams.  This is 6 grams over budget for each flap.  12 grams overall with now a 15 gram under budget for the build so far.  These flap are nice and straight and stiff.  Well worth the extra weight "penalty".
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:41:42 PM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2016, 11:57:44 AM »
Now to see if I can do this on the B-25 flaps,   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2016, 01:16:11 PM »
Crist, I have been following and enjoying your build.  Great to see you recovering from the flu.

When you are laminating such as the flaps, are you slightly sealing the wood with dope or equivalent prior to epoxy?  It seems that the epoxy can absorb and leave little for the bond, or if more is used, then more weight.
Fred

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2016, 03:40:37 PM »
Crist, I have been following and enjoying your build.  Great to see you recovering from the flu.

When you are laminating such as the flaps, are you slightly sealing the wood with dope or equivalent prior to epoxy?  It seems that the epoxy can absorb and leave little for the bond, or if more is used, then more weight.

Fred, Good question.  No sealing done.  I did think about that though.  Maybe next time.  BTW, adding the 1/32 balsa and the extra gluing added 6 grams to the weight of each flap.  The balsa was about 3 grams and the glue amounted to 3 grams.

In this case a little glue penetration isn't so bad.  It does add stiffness to the flap.  Now on a sheet covered foam wing, where the glue attaches to foam, and foam isn't that strong, then yes sealing the wood and using a minimum amount of glue would be desirable.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2016, 04:40:11 PM »
Clever flap layup! Now I'm thinking of variants with thinner skin layers and multiple lightweight 45 degree core layers to trade some bending stiffness for torsional stiffness. Probably not worth the weight and fuss.

I would have automatically used PVA to glue that up, on the basis that the water content evaporates away, presumably leaving slightly less glue weight. That would need to be tested for truth before diverging from your very careful epoxy application, of course.

Are you going to cover the flaps in glass, veil, silkspan or something other?

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2016, 05:14:46 PM »
Christ, i want to try this on the banshee flaps. Is the flap joiner wire OD and aluminium tube ID "the same" for a snug fit? I'm guessing 1/8" stuff?

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2016, 08:02:03 PM »
Christ, i want to try this on the banshee flaps. Is the flap joiner wire OD and aluminum tube ID "the same" for a snug fit? I'm guessing 1/8" stuff?

Yes, I uses 3/32 horn wire on this sized stunter and then I use 1/8 OD aluminum tubing.  It's a slip fit and then combine that with the length of the tubing 1 inch in my case, it's pretty precise.  It allows for the removal of the flaps using a continuous hinge pin.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2016, 08:08:07 PM »
Clever flap layup! Now I'm thinking of variants with thinner skin layers and multiple lightweight 45 degree core layers to trade some bending stiffness for torsional stiffness. Probably not worth the weight and fuss.

I would have automatically used PVA to glue that up, on the basis that the water content evaporates away, presumably leaving slightly less glue weight. That would need to be tested for truth before diverging from your very careful epoxy application, of course.

Are you going to cover the flaps in glass, veil, silkspan or something other?

Ash,
Thank you.

Concerning PVA glue, it's been suspected that it doesn't dry over large areas such as doublers and such.  I use epoxy because I know it will cure properly and will stay that way impervious to moisture and such.  In other words I think it also aids to stabilize the flap and help eliminate any future warping.

The flaps once sanded with 600 grit will then be covered with Monokote.  Another reason I want them as stiff as possible now.

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2016, 08:20:03 PM »
After another good nap this afternoon and a good hearty supper, I'm feeling better now.  Not the best, but better than the last week or so.  Thanks to everybody's well wishes.

With the flaps out of the way on to the fin and rudder.

The fin is made from 2 pieces of 1/8 6# balsa and 1 pieces of 1/32 7# balsa.  Again a laminated structure with the grain going crosswise on both the fin and rudder.  The rudder is made from some scrap 1/8 7.5# balsa and 1/32 7# balsa.  Again the grain of each piece is going a different direction.  This will create a nice and stiff rudder.  I've had rudders that were made from too soft balsa and they were a pain to deal with.  We're talking a gram or 2 difference.  Besides the rudder seems to always to bumped up against something!

The other rectangular piece are for the rounded fairing on the LE near the fuselage.  This will be glued to the rest of the fin with the grain going the correct way.

Again glued using MGS L285 epoxy.  The entire fin gained a total of 2 grams with the gluing and the rudder still stayed the same (less than 1 gram I figure).

They have been weighted down to cure overnight.

I'm guessing these will make budget if not just a few grams over, we'll see tomorrow.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2016, 10:16:56 PM »
Crist, If you don't mind me askin', what keeps the bellcrank post from sliding up and down?

Thanks,
MM

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2016, 11:20:18 PM »
Crist, If you don't mind me askin', what keeps the bellcrank post from sliding up and down?

Thanks,
MM

It is epoxied to the basswood strips.  When the wing is inserted into the fuselage I use fiberglass on the center section and inside up along the fuselage walls about 3/8 inch.  This FG will also keep it in place.  Stay tuned for details.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2016, 03:18:26 PM »
The fin and rudder are finished.  I use some 1/32 basswood at the top of the rudder and on the fin part that rudder butts up against.  On the rudder this will keep a nice crisp edge and on the fin it also keeps a nice crisp edge but more important it adds a lot of strength to the small overhang.  It won't break off so easily.

Both the fin and the rudder came in 1 gram each under budget.  Final sanding needs to be done for each before finishing.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2016, 03:32:45 PM »
Thanks Lee.

No tornadoes, but severe weather.  We are all OK.  North Dallas got hit big time.

Garland: Looks like B-52's bomb it for three days straight.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2016, 04:52:47 PM »
Well I've made a decision.  I'm going to build another stab and elevator set.  The existing set has an A/R of about 4.6.  It looks like current practice is about 3.5 to 4.0.  My earlier versions had 4.0 but this time I thought I'd stretch it out to 4.6.  Reading the posts on the forum and looking at other successful designs made my mine up to go with 4.0. 

I've already drawn up a new stab and elevator set.  I have to wait now till I get my order of .007 unidirectional CF along with some 2/10 CF veil to procede.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2016, 04:56:32 PM »
Quote from: Crist Rigotti
Ash,
Thank you.

Concerning PVA glue, it's been suspected that it doesn't dry over large areas such as doublers and such.  I use epoxy because I know it will cure properly and will stay that way impervious to moisture and such.  In other words I think it also aids to stabilize the flap and help eliminate any future warping.

The flaps once sanded with 600 grit will then be covered with Monokote.  Another reason I want them as stiff as possible now.

Yes, there are circumstances where PVA doesn't dry inside a laminate, like when vacuum bagged or pressed inside impermeable plattens. I use it for large/wide guitar laminates and it will always dry if there's a way (through the wood pores) for the moisture to get out. Epoxy is definitely better for stability, stiffness and moisture resistance. Worth a few grams penalty, even if there was one.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2016, 09:29:33 PM »
This evening I terminated the Lead Outs and made up the flap push rod.  I already had an elevator push rod made up from another build.

I use Tom Morris CF push rods, ball links, and terminal ends.  I also us 7/32 OD aluminum tubing as a ferrule over the end of the push rod to keep them from splitting.

Once I determine the length of the push rod I wrap a layer of masking tape around it and make my mark.  I then use my trusty Dremel jig saw to cut the push rod.  I then sand the ends square and rough up the outside about 1 inch on each end.  This is so the JB Weld adheres real good when gluing on the ferrules.

I mix up the JB Weld and then clean the inside of each end of the rush rod with a pipe cleaner and some acetone.  Then I wipe the outside too.  I use a round toothpick to "trowel" in some epoxy into the end.  I then butter up the RH terminal end real good.  I then very lightly tap the terminal end into the push rod.  I wipe most of the excess epoxy and smear it onto the outside push rod for the ferrule.  I then put the squared end of the ferrule over the end of the RH terminal end and slide it down till it bottoms onto the rounded portion of the terminal end.  I forgot to mention that each ferrule is 3/4 long with the RH ferrule has one end still "rolled" over from my K&S tubing cutter.  The other 3 ends the rolled over portion is disc sanded off and the end cleaned up square.  This "rolled" end is what sits on top of the rounded portion of the RH terminal.  See pictures.

The LH side is done similar but the ferrule is put onto the push rod first then the LH terminal end is inserted into the push rod. Then the whole thing is cleaned up and set aside to dry.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2016, 10:34:25 AM »
I bent up the 1/8 MW landing gear this morning and fiddled with some details on the LG covers.  Trying to take care of all the little things now before I start the fuselage and another stabilizer/elevator.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »
Do you use a jam nut against the ball link? Are those the same 4-40 ball links that Dubro makes?

Thanks,
MM

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2016, 12:19:12 PM »
Do you use a jam nut against the ball link? Are those the same 4-40 ball links that Dubro makes?

Thanks,
MM

No jam nut needed with nylon on metal threads.  Like I said before, I use Tom Morris ball links, push rods, and terminal ends.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2016, 04:09:05 PM »
Well I decided to build another stabliizer and elevator set.  Instead of an A/R of 4.6 this set is 4.0.  I have the elevators built but haven't tapered them yet.  That's next.  Pretty much the same build as the first set.  Also they weigh the same.  On to the tapering!

I have to wait till my order from CST arrives for more .007 CF laminate before I start the stab.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2016, 08:40:13 PM »
I finished the elevators tonight except for the tips which will be finished when the stab is done so I can match the tips.  The elevators weigh 23 grams total for both.  About 5 grams lighter than the first set!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2016, 09:45:52 AM »
Ok, silly question... But I'm asking because I'm cheap! Lol
The aluminium tubes that you used on the first set, are they being reused here? Or will you keep the first set for another plane?

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2016, 10:01:13 AM »
Ok, silly question... But I'm asking because I'm cheap! Lol
The aluminium tubes that you used on the first set, are they being reused here? Or will you keep the first set for another plane?

I'll keep the first set and either us it on another plane or sell them/give them away.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2016, 12:17:51 PM »
Crist, borrowed your method of the weight box.   Looks a lot better than my previous ones.  Thanks.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2016, 01:24:18 PM »
Crist, borrowed your method of the weight box.   Looks a lot better than my previous ones.  Thanks.

Good for you.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2016, 01:29:28 PM »
I decided to redo the fin too.  I built this one up and sheeted it with 1/16 5.6# wood.  The frame is made up from 1/16 6# and 1/32 6# wood.  The picture shows the second side with the glue applied ready for the skin.

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2016, 01:55:15 PM »
The fin is sanded and came out 2 grams lighter but it is stronger.  All finished  except for detail sanding.

I made up the fuselage bulkheads.  F2 the motor mount is made from 1/8 copper clad circuit board with the copper etched off.  F3 and F4 are made from 3/32 6# balsa with epoxied 1/64 ply on each side.  F5, F6, F7 is 1/16 6# balsa, F8 F9, F10, F11 is made from 11# 1/16 balsa, and F12 is 6# balsa with 1/64 ply epoxied to the aft side.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 10:28:35 AM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2016, 08:01:07 PM »
I cut out the fuselage sides today.  They are 5.9# 3/32 with the nose spliced on which was 6# balsa.  I have 1/64 doublers gluing on overnight.  No pictures for now.  Tomorrow I'll provide some meaningful pictures.

My CF will be in tomorrow too.  Thursday will be a busy day.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2016, 07:36:30 PM »
I continued to work on the fuselage.  The doublers were glued on using MGS L285 epoxy.  I shimmed the nose of each side up when gluing on the doublers.  

I use 1/64 ply doubler for the tail wheel mount.  These were glued in using medium CA. I also inset 3/32 birch Ply for the adjustable rudder push rod mount.  Also cutout for the stabilizer.

I placed the fuselage sides on the drawing with the tops of each up against each other.  I then draw the bulkhead locations, etc.  I carefully cut out for the wing using a template I created by drawing an outline using R2 as a guide.  Then measured out 1/16 for the wing sheeting.  I then applied a layer of packing tape to each side and cut it out.  

The next picture shows the front end.  I epoxied the 1/4 square x 1/2 long spruce anchor points for the battery tray.  I then used some TE stock to add some extra beef to the motor mount.  I know the grain is going the wrong way and the "fit" isn't perfect, but it will add some strength and also acts as a "guide" when gluing on the motor mount.

Here is a picture of the disconnect and the switch mount on the other side.  These were made from 3/32 birch ply and then inset and doubled over with the 1/64 ply doubler.

Here is a picture of the motor mount doubler and the curve put in when I glued on the 1/64 ply doubler.

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2016, 07:41:32 PM »
This picture shows where I "inset" the top hatch 1/4 inch down into the fuselage.  My previous hatch started at the top of the flat fuselage and when I finished sanding, the edge that mated to the fuselage ended up coming to a sharp point.  Which was difficult to put a finish on.  I decided to lower that edge down and thus eliminate that sharp edge.  More pictures to come when I build the hatch.  BTW, the parting surfaces are lined with 1/32 basswood.

This picture shows the hatch for the elevator horn to gain access to adjust the length of the push rod, and to adjust the slider on the horn.  Again it is lined with 1/32 basswood.  The hatch cover is lined with 1/32 basswood.  This gives a nice clean crisp edge for the hatch.

This picture shows the template I made using my R2 lost foam rib and added 1/16 sheeting to it.  Then cut it out.  BTW, it is covered with packing tape on each side.

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2016, 10:29:55 PM »
I finished building the second stabilizer.  This one has an aspect ratio of 4:1 instead of 4.6:1.

The stabilizer was built pretty much like the first one so no details will be given.

The combined weight of the second stab/elevator is 60 grams verses 63 grams for the first set.  I saved 3 more grams.

This weekend I'll join the fuselage sides and work on getting it ready for the molded top, bottom, and hatch "blocks".

When the fuselage is done and after all the detail sanding is finished, I'll list the weights of each component.

In the picture, the top set is the first set with 4.6:1 and the bottom set is the second set with 4:1.  The second set has 2 inch less span.  27 vs 25.

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2016, 02:07:44 PM »
Hi Crist,

any chance you can post your weight "budget"?
   That sort of info seems to be hard to find for F2B models.

Thanks,

Pat MacKenzie
MAAC 8177

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2016, 04:46:22 PM »
Hi Crist,

any chance you can post your weight "budget"?
   That sort of info seems to be hard to find for F2B models.

Thanks,

Pat MacKenzie

Sure.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.