News:

• May 03, 2024, 09:48:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 Castle Icelite 50's Fried  (Read 2980 times)

Online Tim Stagg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
2 Castle Icelite 50's Fried
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »
Guys,

I have had two castle Ice lite 50's fry in the last two weeks, both were separate occurrences, not linked in any way other then the following:

Icelite 50
e-flite 25 motor  870
Hubin FM9 timer

Important ESC programming:

latest Beta Firmware 4.2 I think
1. Gov high, High head change speed
2. Auto Lipo default setting
3. current limiting setting set to default of 70 amps (I suspected this could be the issue but Castle says no) (I have now changed this to sensitive 50 amps anyway)

First meltdown issue stemmed from a line snag at launch, the plane chasing me around the circle for a while, then it got airborne enough to have no control, a prop strike occurred stopping the motor, but the ESC did not shut down until the motor overheated, and then the speed control fried. (Motor, speed control were lost, battery and timer survived just fine).

Second meltdown issue resulted I believe, (not 100% sure) a loosening spinner screw. The motor started to vibrate, slowly got worse until the motor overheated, smoked and then landed. By the time I could get to the plane the ESC fried again (Motor, speed control were lost, battery and timer survived just fine).

I called Castle and although they were trying to be helpful, they have no control line experience. They can not understand why the controller did not shut down after the prop strike. Although I have only had it happen to me twice, I have witnessed this same thing to several other flyer's

I also want to point out that Castle is replacing both free of charge (Great customer Service) #^ #^ #^ #^ #^

What setting do I have wrong???

Or could this be an issue with something due to the control line settings??

help please
Tim Stagg

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 2 Castle Icelite 50's Fried
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:49:11 PM »
Get a KR Governor/Timer and a cheep speed controller (Or the Castle Ice 50 is good).  Make sure the speed controller is in the non-governing mode and let the KR set the RPMs.  If you have a prop strike the KR Will turn the motor off and save everything.  My KR timer cost $50-$60 bucks (includes program card).  My speed controller cost $25 or so and all is working great.  PS I don't have data logging but I am not that serious (yet).  All I track is battery recharge amount.  Overload a slimer and it shouts off.  Overload an electric and you get smoke.

PS RSM has im    http://www.rsmdistribution.com/index-2.htm

H^^   LL~
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:40:45 PM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 04:14:44 PM »
Castle ICE  ESCs DO NOT shut down on prop strike!!!

no matter what settings you have it on (even very sensitive) - they will burn out if you have a spike in current - the ICE lites are terrible for it.

Like John said - get the Renecle timer and a cheaper ESC   - you wont have that problem again!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:23:38 PM by Wynn Robins »
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Online William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »
Wynn and John,
 I can't speak for any Castle firmware version above 3.20. But I have seen at least a half a dozen prop strikes or crashes locally with Castle controllers, with everyone of them set to normal sensitivity,and every single one of them has shut down properly. I am slow to update, as I will not update if all is working well. In fact my son went a little too low while doing an outside just last Saturday and skidded the plane inverted along the grass. The Phx 35 shut right down. I do not know why Tim's did not. I do like the fact that the KR timer shuts the motor down based on RPM and not peak current. That is something that i wish the Castles would do. I am not a software engineer but I wonder how hard it would be for Castle to write that into their program.
William
AMA 98010

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 05:20:17 PM »
Igor keeps his prop nut loose.  I'd prefer some sort of clutch, but a reliable electronic method would be better yet.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 05:23:15 PM »
Wynn and John,
 I can't speak for any Castle firmware version above 3.20. But I have seen at least a half a dozen prop strikes or crashes locally with Castle controllers, with everyone of them set to normal sensitivity,and every single one of them has shut down properly. I am slow to update, as I will not update if all is working well. In fact my son went a little too low while doing an outside just last Saturday and skidded the plane inverted along the grass. The Phx 35 shut right down. I do not know why Tim's did not. I do like the fact that the KR timer shuts the motor down based on RPM and not peak current. That is something that i wish the Castles would do. I am not a software engineer but I wonder how hard it would be for Castle to write that into their program.
William

the Phoenix series ARE ok - its the ICE series that burn up.......I should have made that more clear in my first post

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 05:35:28 PM »
Castle ICE  ESCs DO NOT shut down on prop strike!!!

As a guy who does this sort of thing for pay (a big part of my current business at the moment is a motor controller, albeit not brushless) I find this very frustrating.

You cannot control a brushless motor without knowing how fast it's going and where the armature is in relation to the magnets -- it just won't work if you don't get that right.

So if you do know that the motor has stopped, there's no excuse for not going limp, or back into "motor start" mode.

And the usual way of telling where the motor is, is pretty easy to implement.

All I can think of is that whatever combination of hardware and software Castle uses is pigheaded about not believing that a motor, once spinning, has stopped.  Or something.

(It would be interesting to know if Kieth Renicle's software gets messed up by a Castle ICE Lite controller -- depending on just what the controller's failing to do, it could inadvertently spoof Kieth's software.  If it doesn't, then the ESC knows exactly how fast the motor is (or isn't) going, and has no excuse).

C'mon guys.  Get it right.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 06:32:55 PM »
As a guy who does this sort of thing for pay (a big part of my current business at the moment is a motor controller, albeit not brushless) I find this very frustrating.

You cannot control a brushless motor without knowing how fast it's going and where the armature is in relation to the magnets -- it just won't work if you don't get that right.

So if you do know that the motor has stopped, there's no excuse for not going limp, or back into "motor start" mode.

All I can think of is that whatever combination of hardware and software Castle uses is pigheaded about not believing that a motor, once spinning, has stopped.  Or something.

(It would be interesting to know if Kieth Renicle's software gets messed up by a Castle ICE Lite controller -- depending on just what the controller's failing to do, it could inadvertently spoof Kieth's software.  If it doesn't, then the ESC knows exactly how fast the motor is (or isn't) going, and has no excuse).

Keiths timer works with CC escs - so long as you turn off the governor.  His timer is hard wired to one of the motor leads and feeds back info that way.

Real world learning shows that the CC ICe lites do not shut down and burn up ....if you dont believe me - I'll send you two of mine that have done it.  I no longer use CC ESCs as 1 - they are relatively expensive and 2 - I have had 2 burn out from prop strike - as has a friend of mine down here - so it gets expensive.
I have yet to burn out an ESC with keiths timers - and we have done testing by stopping props etc - the system shuts down instantly.........

I am not hasseling CC - they are what I used initially and I have had many good flights with them - but as they say "always give someone a second chance, but never a third"   

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 06:45:23 PM »
if you dont believe me - I'll send you two of mine that have done it.

Sorry if my post is ambiguous -- I do believe you, and I find it frustrating that a company with as much obvious smarts as Castle should mess up something that seems so basic.

But I've done enough product development to know that it's a great field to get into if you want to be reminded on a daily basis that you are fallible.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 07:15:44 PM »

A KR timer could care less what the controller is doing.  It has a wire attached to one of the motor leads to sense RPMs.  If RPMs go too low timer turns off.  The only problem that can accrue is when the controller is also in the set RPM mode.  Now you have two electronics fighting each other and it probably won't work correctly.  However I don't think it will burn up anything.

On the subject of having the speed controller shout down on low RPM doesn't work because all speed controllers are designed to work with a throttle.  In the set RPM mode at full throttle you could have the feature kick in but at less than full throttle it would have to turn itself off.  Besides RC folks (if they don't panic) turn off the throttle upon crashing etc.

A prop hung in the grass at full throttle in kinda a controll line problem - So to me the fix should be in the timer - like in the KR Governor/Timer.

H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 07:21:08 PM »
Wynn and John,
William

William--I'm with you.  My experience also.

Dan
AMA 33676

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 07:57:44 PM »

Whether Castle does it right or not is immaterial.  The important thing is that we're getting Tim fired up in the direction of making integrated timer-controllers to our requirements.  The optimal case would be if he only makes a few prototypes and lets me use them. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 08:39:30 PM »
A KR timer could care less what the controller is doing.  It has a wire attached to one of the motor leads to sense RPMs.  If RPMs go too low timer turns off.

With all due respect, what Keith's timer senses is the voltage on the wire flapping around.  If the ESC is confused and thinks the motor is still spinning, it'll make the motor wire voltages flap around in a way that would be very difficult to distinguish from correct operation.  This would not only fool Keith's timer, but it would make lots of ESC- and motor-burning current flow through the circuit.

Presumably that is not happening, although what is happening (absolutely anything that burns up a motor or ESC, in my opinion) isn't appropriate.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 09:05:48 PM »
Whether Castle does it right or not is immaterial.  The important thing is that we're getting Tim fired up in the direction of making integrated timer-controllers to our requirements.  The optimal case would be if he only makes a few prototypes and lets me use them. 

You know, normally you guys who spent their entire careers working in safety-critical applications and your expectations for reliability analysis and testing are a royal pain in the neck.  But I can see how this might be turned to my advantage.  I mean, I'd been wondering where I'd get some disposable planes to burn up with the first few test articles.  I guess I know now.
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 12:05:07 AM »
You know, normally you guys who spent their entire careers working in safety-critical applications and your expectations for reliability analysis and testing are a royal pain in the neck.  But I can see how this might be turned to my advantage.  I mean, I'd been wondering where I'd get some disposable planes to burn up with the first few test articles.  I guess I know now.
Tim,, you have been offered, and actually given several airframes, rated as disposable in fact,, the problem is that you keep insisting on trying to turn them into concours winners instead of using them as sacrificial lambs like they were intended, a certain flight streak comes to mind immediately,,
just sayin  HB~> HB~> HB~> mw~ S?P
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 01:00:57 AM »
With all due respect, what Keith's timer senses is the voltage on the wire flapping around.  If the ESC is confused and thinks the motor is still spinning, it'll make the motor wire voltages flap around in a way that would be very difficult to distinguish from correct operation.  This would not only fool Keith's timer, but it would make lots of ESC- and motor-burning current flow through the circuit.

Presumably that is not happening, although what is happening (absolutely anything that burns up a motor or ESC, in my opinion) isn't appropriate.
Hi Tim, I don't read voltage, I simple read the pulses on the motor wire of one of the coils and use this info in my external governor program. I therefore sense rpm and it's quite easy to set a trigger point that serves as a low rpm detector for prop strikes and/or dropping in rpm due to the batteries going down. The Jeti spins also burn easily if something goes wrong and I guess that the CC Ice is similar. Either way, the simple Chinese esc's are a lot cheaper if they do blow. The real El-Cheapo's are not great however because the throttle resolution is low. Hobbywing, ZTW and some Turnigy's all work fine. Having said all that I will most likely get myself a CC Ice because of the data recorder. I have an Eagle Tree recorder but the CC is much simpler.
Keith R

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 08:55:21 AM »
Hi Tim, I don't read voltage, I simple read the pulses on the motor wire of one of the coils and use this info in my external governor program. I therefore sense rpm and it's quite easy to set a trigger point that serves as a low rpm detector for prop strikes and/or dropping in rpm due to the batteries going down.

We're describing it in different language, but you're doing exactly what I thought you do -- which is to read (voltage) pulses on the one wire from the motor.  Electrically, that's all you can do with the way you connect to the motor.  I didn't expect that you'd be actually measuring voltages with an ADC or anything.

And given that, if you had an ESC that was sufficiently pigheaded, it could force pulses corresponding to any RPM at all into a motor that's not turning, and all that would be generated is noise and heat.

Which, thankfully, is all just theoretical bloviating because it doesn't appear that is what the Castle ICE ESC does -- because if it were we'd be hearing complaints about it.

Aren't you supposed to be practicing 24-7 so you can beat the pants off of the US in the Worlds?
AMA 64232

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »
The initial problem is that the ESC doesn't output anything to the timer; two leads are the 5 volt power leads and the signal/throttle input to the ESC. The current FM-9 doesn't use a connection to a motor wire, although it could in the future. There are some other possible approaches to the problem:

I could put a 3-wire lead on the timer and connect it to a tiny transistor-size temperature sensor. For example, there's one that goes for $1.25 (in quantities of ten or more) and would put out a voltage from 0 to the supply voltage for temperatures from 0 to 100 degrees C. This could lead to one of the unused pins on the microcontroller and it could be set to turn off the motor when the temperature exceeded a desired value. The microcontroller has plenty of time between generating the throttle pulses to monitor the temperature and could respond in a millisecond or less. The sensor should be epoxied to the rear of the motor, probably.

Another possibility would be to sense propeller rotation. This is easy to do if one puts something on the propeller, like a little magnet, but not so easy using an optical sensor because the amount of light getting through the propeller varies so much.

Another possibility would be to sense the cessation of airplane motion, or a high-g encounter (think airbag sensors). This might not work so well for takeoff on grass but it could work well for a "hard" landing. This might not be too expensive or too difficult; I'll check up further on it.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 11:52:12 AM »
We're describing it in different language, but you're doing exactly what I thought you do -- which is to read (voltage) pulses on the one wire from the motor.  Electrically, that's all you can do with the way you connect to the motor.  I didn't expect that you'd be actually measuring voltages with an ADC or anything.

And given that, if you had an ESC that was sufficiently pigheaded, it could force pulses corresponding to any RPM at all into a motor that's not turning, and all that would be generated is noise and heat.

Which, thankfully, is all just theoretical bloviating because it doesn't appear that is what the Castle ICE ESC does -- because if it were we'd be hearing complaints about it.

Aren't you supposed to be practicing 24-7 so you can beat the pants off of the US in the Worlds?
Yup........I should be practicing 24-7 but I have to supply a backlog of timers and do all kinds of things that keep me from practicing. Beating the pants off the US team would be fun, but just sneaking into the fly-off in 15th place would be heaven for me. Hopefully after tomorrow when I collect the visa's for my wife and I, this will be the last of the paperwork hurdles. I plan some practicing on the week-end and also next week on a local sports field and I'm hoping for some good weather in mid winter here.

Keith R
Keith R

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 01:16:34 PM »
I think (a dangerous thing for me) the missing link in this thread is how the speed controller interfaces with the motor.  As I understand it, the speed controller does not just throw out a bunch of pulses and hope the motor keeps up.  The speed controller, in fact, puts out a pulse on two of the three wires.  The amount of energy contained in the pulse is controlled by the throttle setting - the Tx in the case of RC and the timer in the case of control line.  This pulse of energy causes the motor to turn.  The controller is looking at the third wire to sense where the motor's rotor is located in relation to the magnets in the motor.  This can be done because the un-driven wire acts as a generator so the speed controller can see the magnets go by as a changing voltage.  Based on this information the controller switches the drive circuits between the three motor leads to keep the current flowing in such a manner that the motor is forced to turn.  So in normal operation the speed controller is not just flailing around hoping the motor keeps up. By the way in the olden days with the brushed DC motors the controller did put out energy to the motor and hope the motor can keep up. Now, what I don't know is how the modern three wire speed controller handles start up.  I would assume that the controller's software starts a blind sequence of pulses and looks to see if the motor is responding.  Once it sees a response it switches to the synchronous mode and tracks the motor. The other thing I don’t know is how a speed controller responds when the rotor stops.

Now lets look at why speed controller/motor burns up when you get grass in the prop.  As described above the speed controller applies a voltage to a winding in the motor.  The resistance in the path through which the current is flowing determines the amount of current.  The DC resistance component is determined by the internal resistance of the battery + the ON resistance of the FETs in the speed controller + the resistance of all the wire in the loop (battery leads, controller 's PCB resistance, motor leads, and motor windings).  By design all of these values are kept very low so that if this were the only current limiting factor the current would be in the 100+ amp range.  The other current inhibitor is the back EMF of the motor.  This is a reverse voltage built up in the motor leads due to the motor windings passing through the magnetic field of the motor magnets.  This is a function of number of turns in the windings and the RPMs of the motor.  So if the motor can't turn - no back EMF is generated and the current heads to 100+ amps and smoke commences.

So the question is why can't the speed controller sense current and shut down before things smoke.  Well the answer is it can but it takes a lot of hardware and software to accomplish this.  Hardware wise it takes a current sensing circuit in the speed controller.  Measuring the voltage drop across a known value resistance can do this, or perhaps a hall affect probe could do the job.  One would think that a data logging speed controller has this circuit built in.  Software wise, to do it right, it gets a little complicated.  The problem is that you can't just detect peak current.  On start up the current peaks very high until the motor comes up to speed.  Also when making that sharp turn from horizontal to vertical (as in the start of a wing over) the current jumps momentarily.  So the software has to do a time/current measurement so that you don't get a motor shut down from a spike of high current.

Next lets consider the speed controller doing the turn off when RPMs are at a wrong value.  Once again this is a RC vs CL issue.  In the RC mode (throttle active) RPMs are all over the place.  In the fixed RPM mode at full throttle software could turn on a check mode and look at the RPMs.  For RC this is primarily for helicopters.  Helicopter pilots don’t like sudden motor stoppage so they may not want the feature.  On the other hand CL stunt pilots always want to run in the wide open set RPM mode.  So for them low RPM motor shout down would be a good feature.  Once again RC and CL have different requirements.  Considering the volume of RC sales vs the volume of CL sales why would a speed controller manufacturer spend money on a CL requirement?

What’s the bottom line?
1:  Most speed controllers do not have over current protection or they use a high current/time combination to sense over current and shout down.
2:   Low RPM sensing could be incorporated in a speed controller while it is in the wide-open set RPM mode.  RC folks don’t really need this so it probably won’t happen.
3:   CL electric stunt needs a timer that controls total run time, controls RPMs, and protects the motor and speed controller when you have a prop strike.
4:  The KR timer fills all of item #3’s requirements.
5:  It is possible that a motor speed controller could go into some kind of a goofy mode that confuses a KR timer and prevents it from protecting against a burnout.  However, how likely is this?  Personally I am not going to lose any sleep over the possibility.
6:  CL electric stunt has special requirements.  The most likely way to satisfy all of these requirements is to incorporate them into a product that is intended for CL use only.

And that folks is all I to say about the subject.  And remember my opinion is worth what it cost you.    LL~

D>K    D>K    D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 02:38:37 PM »
I think (a dangerous thing for me) the missing link in this thread is how the speed controller interfaces with the motor.  As I understand it, the speed controller does not just throw out a bunch of pulses and hope the motor keeps up.  The speed controller, in fact, puts out a pulse on two of the three wires.  The amount of energy contained in the pulse is controlled by the throttle setting - the Tx in the case of RC and the timer in the case of control line.  This pulse of energy causes the motor to turn.  The controller is looking at the third wire to sense where the motor's rotor is located in relation to the magnets in the motor.  This can be done because the un-driven wire acts as a generator so the speed controller can see the magnets go by as a changing voltage.  Based on this information the controller switches the drive circuits between the three motor leads to keep the current flowing in such a manner that the motor is forced to turn.  So in normal operation the speed controller is not just flailing around hoping the motor keeps up.

Yup.  The only caveat I can put in is that by and large the amount of energy transferred to the motor is a function both of the throttle setting and motor speed.

Once it sees a response it switches to the synchronous mode and tracks the motor. The other thing I don’t know is how a speed controller responds when the rotor stops.

I don't know either, in general -- but I'll bet you that it varies from one speed controller model to another.

<much snipped>

What’s the bottom line?
1:  Most speed controllers do not have over current protection or they use a high current/time combination to sense over current and shout down.
2:   Low RPM sensing could be incorporated in a speed controller while it is in the wide-open set RPM mode.  RC folks don’t really need this so it probably won’t happen.
3:   CL electric stunt needs a timer that controls total run time, controls RPMs, and protects the motor and speed controller when you have a prop strike.
4:  The KR timer fills all of item #3’s requirements.
5:  It is possible that a motor speed controller could go into some kind of a goofy mode that confuses a KR timer and prevents it from protecting against a burnout.  However, how likely is this?  Personally I am not going to lose any sleep over the possibility.
6:  CL electric stunt has special requirements.  The most likely way to satisfy all of these requirements is to incorporate them into a product that is intended for CL use only.

And that folks is all I to say about the subject.  And remember my opinion is worth what it cost you.    LL~

Yup.
AMA 64232

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 08:07:30 AM »
One good way to handle the hard landing/crash problem is to monitor the temperature of the motor or the ESC.

Looking at motor temperature limits, I see that Plettenberg specifies 100C (212F), E-Flite specifies 220F, Rimfire says its magnets are OK up to 302F, and Scorpion says that "..anything over 130F will seem very hot but up to 200F is considered safe.."

The non-rotating part of our outrunners is normally at a lower temperature than the rotating outer part, of course, but is quickly heated up when the motor stops. I made some measurements on my test stand of an E-Flite 25 motor, powered by an ICE Lite 50, at about 12,000 RPM, for 6  minutes. The measured temperature increased during the "flight" from room temperature to about 90F; after the motor stopped, they increased to around 100F. The outer part felt warm, but not hot, after the run.

I do now offer a version of the FM-9 (the FM-9t) that monitors the motor or ESC temperature through a tiny (transistor-size) sensor that should be epoxied to the motor or ESC. It adds about 1/4 oz to the timer system. It will immediately shut down the motor if the measured temperature exceeds the programmed value. I've tried it with a setting of 130F, but it would be desirable to measure the actual temperatures right after landing on a hot day and use this to set the shut-down temperature.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here