News:

• May 10, 2024, 03:07:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1st Flight Test Reports: APC 12x6.5 Wide Electric Pusher  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1st Flight Test Reports: APC 12x6.5 Wide Electric Pusher
« on: January 06, 2012, 09:24:05 PM »
Some of our gang on the west coast have been able to get some flights on the new 12x6.5WEP.  There are (so far) five reviewers on a total of six airplanes - and results vary per application.  Preliminary observations include:
  * Compared to the 12x6 thin blade the new prop needs to run about 500 RPM slower, and it will use somewhat more battery
  * Compared to the 13x5.5 the new prop needs to run about 900 RPM slower and may use somewhat less battery
  * 2 reviewers say the prop is noisier than the 12x6 (perplexing!) 1 reviewer says it is quieter than the 13x5.5 (lower RPM & smaller dia).

A very rough table with comparisons is attached, here are some of the comments from the reviewers.  I also hope the reviewers will chime in to add to or correct anything I attributed to them.

Andy Borgogna:
“I didn’t much if any improvement on the PT-19 but then again the power system in that plane is not a good match for the plane.  At the end of the
flight the KR timer goes to full power for about ten seconds and it feels like the plane is going to shed its wings.  The plane was time at 4.4 second
lap time.  On the other hand the Naughty Girl did improve with the new prop.  Line tension and overall feel of the plane seemed much better.  Stan
Tyler, one of the better flyers in our club, put it through the pattern and said “leave the power right where it’s at, it’s near perfect”.  The next
plane I will put the prop on is my converted Trophy Trainer, it has the same power system as the Naughty Girl with the exception of the timer, it has
a Hubin FM-9, but I am thinking about changing it to the KR timer when some are available.   If you have any additional questions or additional data
you need collected let me know, I will be happy to help in any way I can.”

“…once I had the PT-19 power setting right I really didn't see much difference between it and the 13x5.5EP I had been using.  But (and it's a very big
BUT) I really did see a positive improvement on the Naughty Girl.  Like wise Stan Tyler did too.  So I am starting to think the improvement you see
will depend on the plane you fly.  One thing I will say I really see no need to keep 12x6EP, 13x5.5EP and 12x6.5WEP all in my flight box for 40 to 50
size planes.  I think I will settle on the 12x6.5WEP and just make the motor adjustments to fine tune the plane to the prop.  One thing Stan said that
might be worth thinking about, the Naughty Girl has a thick airfoil and a blunt leading edge he suggested that might explain the improvement with the
new prop.  I'm not an expert so I will with hold opinions on this. “

Larry Wong:
“This 12x6.5 WEP is very noisy.  As for flight I found no problem, except it req. more Battery that means weight.   I think the narrow 12x6 EP is #1
and the thick hub 12x6EP #2.  But will try the 13x5.5 untrimmed then trimmed to 12” and see what I get.“

Mike Scholtes:
We gave it 1-minute test flights and checked motor temp at end of the flight. No apparent heat issues. However when I put in 5 min 15 secs (my normal run time) I ran out of battery about 2/3 through the flight, so I am not able to tell how much was consumed compared to the normal 2400ma with the thin 12-6EP. That was my last fully charged battery.  Long story short, I can't yet report how the new prop will perform. I did have to reduce rpm by about 500 to get the same lap time, and it pulled well through the part of the pattern I was able to complete. It does make a lot of noise compared to the thin blade, though less on my model than Larry's P40 ARF even though we are using the same motor.

Phil Granderson:
Went flying yesterday and today with new prop.  This is a brief with more details to follow:

First the good news: I like it!
   Now the better news: Seemed to use less power than the 13 x 5.5.
   Now more good news.  No real noise, in fact may actually run quieter.
   Other good news:  Seems to have a similar effect on turns as the old Rev-Up EW props you guys came up with.  Tamed Elroy to a smoother corner.

After seeing what the results Larry had I was a bit apprehensive but my results were quite different.  Larry was there yesterday too.  In short I
think it is a good prop.  It does some things differently and is a great addition for certain conditions. 

Cleon Lingwood:
"I gave the new props (12 x 6.5 'real wide') a try today.  Very nice.  The vertical climb in the clover leaf was awesome!  The prop works very well with my eFlight 25BP yanking 70 ounces.  I got two flights in today, I'll keep you posted as I do more testing..."

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
Re: 1st Flight Test Reports: APC 12x6.5 Wide Electric Pusher
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 06:12:16 AM »
I have a thought on my noise prop. my plane and Mike's plane is cover with mono coat ( plastic ) Phil's is not how many planes on the test had what  kind of covering? ???
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Cleon M Lingwood

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 07:47:14 AM »
In addition, I did not notice any noise change.  I altered my power train from an Arrowind 2832-05 to the eFlight 25BP just prior to the test.  The Arrowind was running the APC 13 x 4.5 EP.  I had to reset the FM-9, dropping the RPM about 1000 RMP to 8780, resulting in 5.2 second laps on a 'test' T-Rex with 64 foot lines.  Line tension was great everywhere.  My brother flew the plane (his first on the T-Rex) and commented that the line tension surprised him.

The vertical performance was great, but remember, there was a motor change, too.  The overhead eights and the cloverleaf were tight on the lines even though the day's air was still, no wond to speak of.  As for electron consumption, I can't tell yet, but the motor did not drop off until the 'warning' at 5 minutes 20 seconds.  BTW, the plane is using Arrowind 3300 batteries.   

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 10:41:15 AM »
I really didn't notice any change in noise, one plane was covered in monocote (PT-19) the other polyspan and dope (Naughty Girl).  The Naughty Girl showed improved line tention in the overheads that was clearly observable.  I really do like this prop, as soon as I can get to the field I will do the additional testing on the Trophy Trainer.  The AMA convention is taking up my time this weekend.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline ptg

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 09:57:44 AM »
Phil Granderson:
Went flying yesterday and today with new prop.  This is a brief with more details to follow:

First the good news: I like it!
   Now the better news: Seemed to use less power than the 13 x 5.5.
   Now more good news.  No real noise, in fact may actually run quieter.
   Other good news:  Seems to have a similar effect on turns as the old Rev-Up EW props you guys came up with.  Tamed Elroy to a smoother corner.

After seeing what the results Larry had I was a bit apprehensive but my results were quite different.  Larry was there yesterday too.  In short I
think it is a good prop.  It does some things differently and is a great addition for certain conditions.

THE REST OF THE STORY SO FAR
Motor: Eflite 25
ESC   Ice 50 lite
Timer: Hubin FM-9
Battery: Zippy 4s, 3000
Line length: 69’ (handle to center of plane)

Flew a total of 9 flights over 2 days.
Day 1:  This was a rare day with wind almost non-existent at 0-1 mph with gusts up to 3 mph.  RPM set at 8,172 on Hubin box.  Lap time was 5.5 seconds, which is quite slower than normal.  I was surprised that I could do the entire pattern in those conditions flying that slow.  Line tension in level flight was more than usual and on overhead was less than usual but still better than IC planes especially in the overhead 8.  The most surprising thing was that there was no apparent prop turbulence and subsequent rolling or loss of lift.  was no tendency to roll or loose lift in dead calm air.  Wish I had had this prop at the Golden State meet last Oct., as conditions were dead calm. and no apparent prop turbulence. 

Day 2:  Wind conditions were different with wind between 4 –8 mph and plenty of turbulence.  Increased the RPM to 8,270 on the Hubin.  Lap times approx. 5.35.  Line tension was stronger everywhere with virtually no difference at any part of the pattern.  Inside rounds had improved line tension at entry and seemed to lock and groove better than with other props.  Overall airspeed was very consistent.  There was virtually no difference in power usage with increased RPM.

Conclusion is that this is definitely a very good addition to the other props and may actually be my preferred prop.  I just need some more flights and direct comparison to 13 x 5.5 and 4.5.
PT Granderson

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 02:26:57 PM »
I went flying today and did some testing and found that the noise was not the prop. it was the p-40 ARF. different  props made different noise the less noticeable was 12x6 EP. then 13x5.5 EP the 12x6.5 WEP was the most noise I think it's the  wider blade, all perform well the 12x6.5 WEP was good all around , and the battery is good I went to a 4cell 4000 and had no problems the 4cell 2600 was a stretch .  5 cell's had no problems  Thunder Power 2650...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:32:45 PM by Larry Wong »
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 01:55:46 PM »
Test Flights Results 1/10 & 1/11/2012:
SV-11 ARC/Paint
68.4 ounces ready to fly
Power 25
TP 3900 4S
Hubin FM-9 Timer
.018 stranded, 63' eyelet to eyelet
Conditions: 40 -45 degrees, wind on 1/10 was blowing  and a very turbulent  N.W.  @10-20 MPH, so I kept it level. Today, it was 5-10 MPH, variable.
All flights 5 min. duration with  2140-2187 mAh consumption.
I like this prop alot. Much more so than the APC 13x 4.5 and 12x 6 EP Pushers. Specifically, it cut the air better on the overheads and had increased line tension up top. Upline climbs were improved and downlines demonstrated increased braking; which one would expect with all the blade area. None of  my flying buddies( Tom Hampshire, Doug Benedetti, and John Ross ) thought it was noisy.Lap times measured upright and inverted were 5.35 seconds.
Thanks  a plenty to Dennis for having APC run these and thanks to Bob Hunt for supplying me with two.
Frank

Offline keith varley

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 01:52:26 PM »
I  received my 12x6.5 WEP today and although I haven't used them yet because of weather , I was struck with the fact that they are 1/4 ounce heavier (over 7 gms) than my 13x 5.5 EP.I wonder how the gyroscopic procession compares on these 2 props.My feeling is that because the extra weight is concentrated near the center and the total dia. is less, and the required RPM is a bit less , that in practice,the procession will be less.The findings of P.T.G. seem to back that up. The one big advantage , that hasn't been mentioned yet , is the extra ground clearance.  Keith
ps Praying for flying weather to try out my brand new E Sultan for 2012

Offline keith varley

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 10:28:40 PM »
Today I finally got to try the new wide 12"prop  on my Sultan in perfect flying weather.
I am comparing it to the 13 X 5.5 EP.
IT required 800 RPM less
Volume of prop noise about the same
Corners seemed to be smoothed out a bit (a bit larger turning radius , probably because of the extra weight of the wide 12")
Greater prop clearance from ground
Power consumption about the same M.A.Hrs.
A little less line tension in overheads
 Overall it is a good prop for me , but I like the 13" prop a bit better and will probably keep using it because I don't want to give away any line tension overhead.
Keith

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 10:43:17 AM »
Keith
You might try adding back in about 50 RPM and see what that does for the line tension.  I had a similar experiance on one of my planes and when I added in the additional RPM the line tension improved with very little change in lap time.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 03:02:25 PM »
My third day of testing the new prop     (wow)  what a monster!
Arrowind 3526-05
Kv 685
22.2 volt lipo 2650 Mah
6S 20c
5:25 flight time
5.1 sec laps
8100 rpm
Ice lite 50 esc Hubin Fm9 timer/ with field programmer
12 6.5ewp prop
SV11  64 oz.
A whole lot of line tension, sharp corners, and nice lap times through 9 flights.Was running 13 4.5 pusher at 10,000 rpm, tried the new prop at that and lap times were3.5.put my arm back in the socket and reduced the rpm to 8100 and got 5.1 lap times.I'm gonna keep trimming the airplane and rpm to a finer point but that new prop is one air mover!    Jimmy

AMA 89335

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 07:06:05 AM »
My third day of testing the new prop     (wow)  what a monster!
Arrowind 3526-05
Kv 685
22.2 volt lipo 2650 Mah
6S 20c
5:25 flight time
5.1 sec laps
8100 rpm
Ice lite 50 esc Hubin Fm9 timer/ with field programmer
12 6.5ewp prop
SV11  64 oz.
A whole lot of line tension, sharp corners, and nice lap times through 9 flights.Was running 13 4.5 pusher at 10,000 rpm, tried the new prop at that and lap times were3.5.put my arm back in the socket and reduced the rpm to 8100 and got 5.1 lap times.I'm gonna keep trimming the airplane and rpm to a finer point but that new prop is one air mover!    Jimmy

10K?  3.5 second lap times with a 64 oz SV-11???  YIKES!

You also confirmmed that is also the correct power system for my DeBolt StuntWagon.  Want to fly that at 3 sec laps on 70' lines & 100 MPH - like Debolt  used to!

Keith V: like Andy said, try another 50-100 RPM and see if that nets any advantages..
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 08:36:35 AM »
Dennis....OOPs   4.5 my bad didn't proof that one...but still was fast and painful...
  Jimmy
AMA 89335

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 11:06:47 AM »
I purchased a few of these props from Dennis with the intent on clipping the tips and trying it on my new Pathfinder.I took about 5/8" off each tip and made sure it was in good balance.The first impression I got was very incouraging.The line tension improved(Like it really needed too!!)but I plan to trim a bit out so my right arm doesn't get any longer.The one thing I really liked is the braking action of the wide blades.On the downside of the reverse wingover I had a tendancy to pull out WAY too high but these slow it on the downside so I think it will help my scores.The battery usage was a bit less but I have plenty of headroom anyway.The only difference I noticed in the noise department is that these seam to have a lower resonant frequancy because the blades are heavier and thicker.I think these clipped versions would be perfect for Noblers,Vector 40's, or anything that takes a 35 to 40 slime powerplant.To swipe a line from one of my favorite movies......."Mongo Like Beans" y1 #^ <=.There is one thing I needed to get used to,It kinda looks like a big Dorito guy moustache on the front of my ship LL~ LL~ LL~
                          Thanx Dennis!!!!You really done good this time,Trax
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 12:06:24 AM »
Hi Dennis,

I finally got to do much more flying with the new prop. I managed to win our Nats with it this last week-end. My Electron weighs 1835 grams now, or 64.7 oz. and this prop hauls the model around with total authority. I slowed the rpm down from the 12 x 6 thin pusher, and I'm now running at 8700 but with my variable gain system. On average I found that you can go down about 200 rpm from the thin blade 12 x 6 pusher and have good performance.

I'm still using about 100 mAh more battery but the Electron flies much better. My lap times are 5.2 secs and I must say that in rough weather and turbulence this prop comes to life! The altitude at our field is around 5000 ft. ASL., and I'm using 1900 mAh for the 5:35 flight. The highest I've used is 2100 mAh when I was running a lot faster. The Electron uses the MVVS 6,5/910 motor on a 4-cell 3300 lipo. The extra swishing noise is there but you get used to this quickly. My biggest problem is with the spinner, and I totally agree with jeff about the Dorito guy moustache look!

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 10:35:53 AM »
Nice Keith, very nice.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Dave Denison

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 01:22:22 PM »
Guys.

This Prop looks great.  Has anyone felt the need to re-pitch this prop?  If so...what pitch did you take it to.

Dave.
Regards
Dave

ama 41041

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 05:17:16 PM »
Keith:
CONGRATS on your NATs win!     

Did I understand you correctly, that you are using 100mah more than with the 12x6?  that would be phenomennal the 12x6.5 Wide moves a lot more air - more like a 13x5.5.  So I am pleasantly surprissd to hear it only cost you 100 mah. 

Has Percy tried the new prop yet?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 12:01:01 AM »
Hi Dennis, I slowed the rpm down from the 12 x 6 thin blade and took 10 seconds off the flight time. The battery usage is also dependant on the weather and how rough it is. I'm using a 3300 4-cell lipo so I have enough power to spare. What impresses me about this prop is the authority it gives through any maneuver in our thin air. I could not spin the 13 x 5,5 fast enough to make a good comparison, but the 12 x 6,5 EW is a performer. It's actually a pity that it looks funny! I truly believe that APC made a big mistake by stopping production on their thin blade props. I understand why they did this, but it's still a pity. The 12 x 6 and 11 x 5.5 are great props as they were. I'm still able to pick some up locally so this is good. I also appreciate the work that you keep doing with APC to develop good C/L props, so keep it up!

Percy tried it on his Centurion (modifed Impact) but it used too much power for him. His model is bigger and has a fatter wing and he is enjoying the thin blade 12 x 6 pusher.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 05:21:07 AM »
Rick Sawicki and I had a practice session on Friday and I did my first flight test of the new apc prop. I flew it on my C-14 profile with axi 2826/12 and 4S 3700 mah rhino pack. The temps were a bit cooler than we normally fly in and pretty much all our planes were performing laps 0.2 sec slower than normal. Normal lap time on this plane is 5.2 sec with the 12X6EP. So I decided to fly it with the same rpm that was dialed in and yielded a 5.5 sec lap time with the 12X6EP since most folk have reported a slight increase in lap speed. This plane uses Brodak P40 wing and tail surfaces on a carbon fiber tube fuse with Brodak T-Rex moments. Performance is virtually identical to T-Rex with exception of slightly less line tension and just ever so slightly less steady tracking. It is also currently flying with 4 vortex generators on each side of wing surfaces. The produced no difference in handling of the plane except for slight improvement in tracking in level flight. But it is not a heavy plane where the vortex generators are reported to be most effective.

The test was at about 52 degrees air temp, wind 6mph, sun… excessive of course, we were flying stunt! (no need to tell you exactly where the sun was, you can figure that one out yourself… we were flying stunt!). Lap times dropped 0.2 sec to 5.3 sec. Line tension was greater than with the 12X6EP. The plane has wonderful line tension with the EP, this most would classify as fairly strong, but not overwhelming line tension. Neither Rick nor I could see any differences in corners or rounds. Rick felt tracking was a tad better and I could just feel it a bit better. But the movements during level flight were not sudden bumps, more like very slow rollers and very difficult to actually see. If the T-Rex and SV did not track so incredibly well, I would feel from this flight that what I was noticing was probably an optical illusion from the varying terrain at the Midwest RC Club CL field. Current draw was in line with what I would normally see with the EP. I do not think the exact numbers were as meaningful as on a normal temp day because we found our lap times dropped a bit after half a dozen laps or so as the battery got some heat in it. But certainly there was no surprise or issue with current draw.

I think the prop is certainly useable on the 2826/12 and an adequate replacement for the EP in many scenarios. It may not be in all however. The line tension increase may be too much for a larger airplane where the leadouts are already far forward. The T-Rex I still have room to adjust leadouts to decrease line tension. My guess is I would have to do so to use this prop on the T-Rex. My SV-11 arf however already has the leadouts as far forward as they go. If line tension increased I would not be able to fly the airplane because my wrist cannot handle the load and get a clean corner. This is what led me to move the leadouts forward in the first place. The SV has no motor offset and no rudder offset.

bob branch

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 06:09:13 AM »
Bob,
Thanks for posting the report. Seems like this prop gives a few setup options. If the line tension is increasing you could either increase line length to reduce the pull back to were you are comfortable or reduce the rpm and slow the ship to get to the comfortable tension level. Moving the leadouts is normally not the best way to setup line tension. The position of the leadouts is normally set to maintain the wing in line with the flight path (i.e. not hanging in or out as you go vertical say into a wingover). If you move them forward you will increase line tension in level flight but lose tension above 45 deg. If they are back to far you lose penetration as the fuse gets dragged across the flight path. I would suggest adjusting line length first (general rule of thumb add 1ft reduces lap time by 0.1 sec).

Best,               DennisT

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 08:08:10 AM »
thanks Dennis

bob branch

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 04:12:24 PM »
Guys,
Has anyone tried to tweak the pitch a little instead of increasing the rpm? I know some don't like repitching and doing the pushers can be a pain. I was able to flip around my Prather pitch gauge and it will give you a starting point. I am lazy when it comes to repitching (well maybe a few other things too) so I only pitch the 70% out from the hub point which is about station 9 for the 12" diameter. Once I get the correct angle on the pitch bar I clamp it with a small "C" clamp. With the Prather the numbers are on the inside and don't line up so they are not usefull. What you have is the blank aluminum side of the pitch gauge. I simple draw a reference line along the pitch bar on this plate. Now you can move the bar say 1/64" up, clamp, repitch both blades and go fly to check the lap speed. B clamping you get the same pitch on both blades every time. I don't have any of the new props yet have a few of the originals still so am good, but it would be interesting to hear how it works compared to increasing rpm.

Best,         DennisT

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »
Guys,
Heres a reminder, U can reverse the Prather gauge. Just following the bouncing ball.  #^ #^

Here's a easier way to do the pitch gauge. I've taken off the plate scanned it, reversed the image
Sprayed 3M on the paper stuck it to the backside, trimmed excess paper then fitted gauge plate
in the other direction. Warning:The pivot screw is a 5-40 tap. Did not know that when I had my first one  
The other screws are 4-40. Drill & tap the 4-40s in a new spot cause you will need to countersink them.
If everything is lined up right the pointer should line up perfect as shown in the pic below. If not U can always
take it off print another one & try again. Here's the scan if lined up it should fit perfect. And don't forget to
cover the paper with clear tape afterwards.
Enjoy  

Later,
Evolve or get left behind!

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 09:33:17 PM »
Just use a mirror. It's not as messy.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again