News:

• May 09, 2024, 05:54:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1st Electric Flight Today!  (Read 2389 times)

Walter Hicks

• Trade Count: (0)
1st Electric Flight Today!
« on: March 14, 2010, 09:24:03 PM »

I had my first electric flight today . T- Rex with Arrowind  2832-05 , Ice 50 ESC, Huben Timer , APC 13x4.5 EP

prop. Battery was Thunder Power Pro- Lite V2  3300 mAh  14.8 V,RPM  9600  Flew 4:30 seconds  2350 put back in

Battery, 64-65 OZ will be more with 4200 mAh Pro -Lite.  Very good first experience. The only strange thing was

when the motor shut off it shut off immediately?  I am sure I programmed something wrong on the ICE 50?

Plenty of power no issue here.  A real pleasure to fly.thank you Roger and Ron Anderson and Darrell Harvin ,

and all of you on the forum. This is going to be fun.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1st Electric Flight Today!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 10:10:38 PM »
WTG Walter!   8)  #^

Sounds like the"Brake Ramp" seeting is set a little too abrubt.  You want the 100% brake strength, I set Brake Ramp at Medium, slower/softer would probabl also be OK

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 10:26:57 AM »
Walter,

Congrats on your first E-Flight with the T-Rex.  I certainly hope it performed the way you wanted. 

I set my brake to a 0.5sec delay, medium ramp, and 100% strength.  This reduces the risk of throwing a prop or causing motor damage.  The 13" prop is a bit large to stop immediately. 

What length/size lines are you flying?  What was your lap time?  What kind of flying did you do in the 4:30?  What were the weather conditions?  Windy days use less power so I was curious.

I would also suggest that you also consider a slow start-up as to not run @ full throttle on the ground.  This uses a lot of power.  It also heats up the motor/batteries/ESC.

I am jealous!   I haven't flown this year yet.  I have severe cabin fever!!!!  Great work!!!

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana     
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 11:33:08 AM »
Hello Walter,
As Archie says, you definitely want 100% brake, but a 1 second delay and then the medium ramp will greatly reduce the torsional stress on the nose of the airplane.
The RPM decays substantially in about 1 second, and after that, more delay just causes the plane to slow down too much.
Hope that helps,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Walter Hicks

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:07:41 PM »
We now have 3  electric planes in Central California. 2 T-Rex and 1 Pathfinder. Temperature was 65-70 degrees(sorry guys), First Flight lines .018x62 eyelet to eyelet, 5.4 lap times. I did Inside loops, Inside squares, and Triangles, Inverted flight. 2nd Flight .018x60 eyelet to eyelet  5.2 lap times. handle was way out of adjustment so I did not do anything but inside loops. It was almost dead calm so no wind. The Motor was not even warm nor was the battery when I landed!!! Line tension is incredible at all times, the plane corners very, very well. I have the battery mostly underneath the wing with about 2" sticking out in the tank compartment. Thanks for the input. I will make the changes on the ICE 50.  If I used 2350 for 4:30 min time how much more for 1 more min of flying time?  522mAh?

Offline Ron Dodd

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 07:30:37 PM »
Congratulations Walter...522 mah for a minute sounds pretty close...
at least that's if you are dividing the total minutes into the total used...that's how I have been doing it for RC anyway..works out pretty darned close.

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 04:41:41 PM »
Very impressive that you flew on 60'.  Power consumption looks good.  On a calm day you will use the most power.  That will really tell you what you have under the hood.  Your choice of power-system is a great match with the T-Rex at that RTF weight.  Keep flying and practicing.  You have a great combo going!!

Make sure to refine your routine from the time you hit the start button to how many laps you fly after the clover.  My uncle Dennis and I have worked on this as it is a way of reducing power-system stress and also allowing for the use of smaller components reducing weight.  It is really a matter of flying style and preference.  The start-up power and spool up speed are great ways of power management to get every electron utilized in flight, not on the ground.

Can't wait to hear more feedback from you and your experience.

Take Care!!     

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana   
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 06:19:23 PM »
Congrats Walter! Glad to hear you liked it. Wait til you've done it a while. Then you'll really like it! Electrons are addicting!

bob branch

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 05:23:09 PM »
Walt is there anything new on the Western front?
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Walter Hicks

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 09:13:02 PM »
Yes,

I will now be using 3900mAh 14.8 v  battery. I broke the leadout guide on the T-Rex trying to adjust it last week.

I only got one flight on a smaller(3300) battery.I Love the way the electric set up performs . The Arrowind 28-32-05

has lots of power no problem. We will have it fixed and should get lots of flying done this weekend.

Walter Hicks

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 07:07:19 PM »
1st full pattern done  flight time was 6 min. 2754 back in the battery, I had to adjust he handle as it turns so violently!

2nd flight was better , I need to adjust the handle again making the line spacing narrower as the turn is fantastic.

Very different experience, I do like it however.. I forgot my Windex and paper towels.

Offline anderson-ron

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 09:46:47 PM »
Hi Walter I had so much fun out at are field Sunday with are E T-REX"s.  They fly awesome. Thanks to you and my brother Roger and Gary for all of your help and advise. It"s great to see different set ups and they all work very well.  Ron
Ron Anderson
AMA # 740170

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 10:12:49 PM »
Hi guys,

All three of ya looked good flying them old electric jobs, only one problem, takes to long to refuel and ya don't lose any weight as ya fly and the plane goes the same speed for the complete pattern. Darn thing shut off at the correct time, takes a ton of Windex to clean all the fresh cut grass off of the plane. All kidding aside, they all look like winners!!!! Ya got to remember, Walter can make a stick look good doing the pattern, MAN!!!!! that Boy can fly, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 08:11:01 PM »
Don't let Gary fool ya.  He had his first electric experience Sunday flying my Pathfinder for two flights.  He also flies pretty well for an old guy.   I think that electric job scared him because he actually completed two full flights.

Roger

Walter Hicks

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 07:43:57 PM »
More flights today. set timer for 5:30  2547, 1st flight and 2nd flight 2601 back in battery ,now I can use the lighter
11.2 oz  14.8v 3300Mah Thunder  Power Pro  Light battery. It flew in the wind very well.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 08:39:22 PM »
Way to go Walter!  You are obviously getting it all to come togther for ya.  I did not this in a post - what RPM are you at?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Walter Hicks

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 11:25:17 PM »
9650 rpm

Offline bobsrc

• Ensign
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 02:55:34 PM »
You need special Windex and a feather duster to get those spent electrons off the bottom of your airplane.  And when you charge make sure your homotron filter is functioning properly as you don't wnt a fuse blown in flight.
Cheers

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 04:59:45 PM »
I also flew my new electric T-Rex for the first time this last Friday.   Motor is a Monster 32 (42-50) 770KV, battery is 5S 20C 4000mah, Castle Pheonix ICE 50 ESC, prop is an APC 13x6.5 electric pusher and a Hubin FM-2a timer.  I set the RPM at 9200 for the first two minute flight and the plane was way too fast at 4.4 sec laps.  The second two minute flight was at 8900 RPM and the plane was still much too fast at about 4.6 sec laps.  This plane has a few trim issues that are similar to what Walter Hicks and Ron Anderson experienced with their T-Rex's.  The outer wing flies up siginificantly.  Walter and Ron corrected their planes by installing a trim tab on the outer wing which I will also try.  I also plan to slow the plane down some more and will try 8500 RPM for the next test/trim flight.  This plane seems to fly quite well and I believe it will be a good performer when I get it adjusted and trimmed out.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Roger Anderson

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 06:56:55 PM »
I also flew my new electric T-Rex for the first time this last Friday.   Motor is a Monster 32 (42-50) 770KV, battery is 5S 20C 4000mah, Castle Pheonix ICE 50 ESC, prop is an APC 13x6.5 electric pusher and a Hubin FM-2a timer.  I set the RPM at 9200 for the first two minute flight and the plane was way too fast at 4.4 sec laps.  The second two minute flight was at 8900 RPM and the plane was still much too fast at about 4.6 sec laps.  This plane has a few trim issues that are similar to what Walter Hicks and Ron Anderson experienced with their T-Rex's.  The outer wing flies up siginificantly.  Walter and Ron corrected their planes by installing a trim tab on the outer wing which I will also try.  I also plan to slow the plane down some more and will try 8500 RPM for the next test/trim flight.  This plane seems to fly quite well and I believe it will be a good performer when I get it adjusted and trimmed out.

Roger Anderson

WTG Roger!  I'm betting 8200 RPM....
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 08:27:54 PM »
Sorry but I got my motors reversed between planes.  I am running a Turnigy 42-50 650 KV motor in the T-Rex.  The Monster 32 motor is in my Pathfinder.

Roger

PS It is a sad thing to see three Orange T-Rex's at our little field.  That is almost half of the airplanes at our field at any given time.  It would be great if Brodak could come out with a few other colors.

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 08:11:07 PM »
My electric T-Rex is comming around.  I took three flights today.  Laps were from 4.8 to 5.0 at 8500 RPM.  The Turnigy 42-50 650 kv motor used 2800 mah for a 6:02 flight.  This was 70 percent of my 4000 mah battery pack.  I still need to cut the flight time back just a little more.  The trim tab on the outer wing also seems to have worked.  The plane is flying pretty level now.  It is going to take a little getting used to but I did have three very good flights today.  I think this setup is going to be quite good when I get a little more time on the handle.  I am pretty pleased with it at this point.

Roger Anderson

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 09:26:09 PM »
Hello Roger,
Glad to hear that things are going well.
Would you be kind and adventurous enough to try something for me?
Please put a normal tractor prop of a similar/same size on the plane and see if the outboard wing hangs low.
If it does, then we will be smarter ... I'll explain if that is indeed the case.
Thanks,
your friendly mad scientist, Dean.
Dean Pappas

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 09:35:25 PM »
It is a sad thing to see three Orange T-Rex's at our little field.  That is almost half of the airplanes at our field at any given time.  It would be great if Brodak could come out with a few other colors.

No, orange is good.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 01:04:06 AM »
No, orange is good.
I agree!!!!! ORANGE ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!! All three of the planes looks great, a few trim issues but they're not having any engine trim items. If ya fly one, you'll like it!!!!! Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 08:32:22 PM »
Hi Dean,

Sure, I'm game.  It will be a bit though since I do not presently have a 13x6.5 regular electric prop.

Roger

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 06:16:48 AM »
Thanks Roger,
It's a good thing that APC do make one though!
take care,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2010, 08:13:57 AM »
I think we are now on the right track.  I flew my Brodak T-Rex three times yesterday and was very happy with the performance.  Lap times were right at 5 sec on 64 foot lines.  Flight time was 5:39 and each flight used 2620 mah on a 5S battery.  The airplane is flying quite well and power consumption is reasonable.  It is now time to just set back and enjoy flying my electric setup.  Airplane = Brodak T-Rex, motor = Turnigy 42-50 650 KV, ESC = Pheonix ICE50 LITE, Timer = Hubin FM2a with remote start button, battery = 4000 mah 5S 20C and prop = APC 13x6.5 electric pusher.  RPM is set at 8500.  This is a great setup. 

My brother Ron also is flying a Brodak T-Rex with a similar setup and is quite happy with it.  The only difference between his and mine is the motor.  He is running a Monster 32 42-50 770 KV motor.  His setup is also performing very well. 

Walter Hicks is also having good sucess with his T-Rex setup but I will leave it up to him to post his setup.

Roger Anderson
PC Flyers
Fresno, CA

PS  I haven't had a chance to get by the local Hobby Shop to get that regular rotation APC prop yet but I will one of these days.  I'm just having too much fun with my current setup.

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 08:46:18 PM »
We were at it again today with good results.  This electric control line flying is the way to go as far as I am concerned.  Both my brother Ron  and I had very good flights.  Did not have to mess with starters or glow ignitors.  It sure is hard just to push that little red button and wait for the plane to take off!!  Can't get away from clean-up issues though -  I still have to use windex to get the buggs off.  Ha! Ha!  I guess it is time to list my setup now.  I am quite happy with my electric T-Rex.

Roger Anderson

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 08:54:37 PM »
I am beginning to develop a theory about power usage on our electric setups.  Both Ron and I used  less power for our flights today than with the same flight time as previous fly days.  The differance was about 100 mah less than on other days.  The weather was about 20 degrees cooler.  Is it possible that the temperature has something to do with power usage?  Is there more heat loss on warmer days that could make a differance in power usage?  Could this be one of the reasons that you folks in the midwest seem to be able to use a bit smaller motors and batteries than us folks out here?  Something to think about anyway.

Roger Anderson

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 09:02:03 PM »
I believe that you will also find you use slightly less total when it is windier than you do in dead calm -- I don't know why that is either.  But some of the total energy used must be supplied by the wind somehow.  Cooler, denser air might work better for the same reason - whatever it is.   :o ???
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Roger Anderson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 08:40:24 PM »
Hey Mike,

You could well be correct.  It was also a bit breezy yesterday.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here