News:

• May 02, 2024, 09:05:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .15 powered midwest kits...  (Read 769 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
.15 powered midwest kits...
« on: January 29, 2011, 11:08:51 PM »
Ok, I have a question on the .15 powered midwest kits. I'm wondering if the .10 electric power system that BoB hunts had been developing for Brodak would drag these models through the pattern?
In the early 80's or so I had the me109 on a fox 15.
I'm figuring that a fox 15 is comprable to a good .10 . So if kept light the kits from Larry Richards might be right for the .10 power system ?

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: .15 powered midwest kits...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 09:36:26 AM »
Hi Jim
I have been putting together the E-power system for Brodak.  Its funnly you mentioned the Fox 15 and the "10" sized system, that was the target.  The 10 system turns a APC 7x5 at roughly 14,500 RPM - that would be a very good Fox 15x!  

The 10 system was aimed at the 1/2A Pathfinder, which is the same size as a lot of traditional 15 sized airplanes like the Midwest Magician 15 and the Sig Akromaster.  I was a little concerned that folks running 15 system would wlso want ot use larger (8") props, so we brought out a new "15" system.  The 10 and the 15 sized systems are the same except for the battery; the 10 system uses a 3Sx1300 (103g) pack and the 15 uses a 3Sx1800 (133g)  roughly 1 oz heaver.  For that extra ounce gives you more battery reserve on a 8" prop size.

I do not recall - what size are the Midwest 15 profiles - 33" span and 250 square inches?  I just completed a Brodak Junior Flite Streak (31" span, 230 sq in), The only mod was to build a battery pocket in the wing., there was a lot of room.  Uses the  15 size system and the RTF weight is 14.8 oz.  Yeah I am psyched about it, out to go like... heck and really dance!  Gonna try it first with the 7x5 which can be purchased as a pusher, then will try the 8x4 and 8x6 to get the best combination of speed and manuverability.  Might also try it with the 3Sx1300 just to take another oz off it!

Also copied a couple pix of my brother's Sig Akromaster (34" span, 250 sq in) conversion from a gas model.  The Akro uses the 3Sx1300 pack and has a lot more room on the fuselage than the Streak; that was important because he did not have the option of slipping the battery into the wing (there is room tho)  The Akro conversion finished at 18 oz and it flies great.

The MW 109 probably has room on the fuselage for the battery, but I think I would opt for the wing pocket.  It also gives you the chance to slide the battery fore/aft (into & out of the pocket) for balance; just strap the exposed park of the pack to the side of the fuselage...

I do recall that the MW Profiles had a tendency to build heavy - if you can keep the weight under 20 oz you should be in great shape.  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:22:06 PM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 12:59:01 PM »
Sorry that I again rememered wrong whom was doing this set up for brodak. Maybe this time I'll get it committed to memory correctly.
I know that the half/A pathfinder is considered leprachaun legal. I never even considered it to be a 1/2A airplane.
It may well fly well on the newer norvel/s and a tee dee. But My idea of half A was a model that could fly well with at most a golden bee.
So yes the fox 15's were undersized compared to todays 15's and even closer to an ap .09 or TT.10
I would fly the me109 with fox 15 wth a 7-4 or 7-6 back in the day but the fox died from the head gasket going and the screws stripped out.
Thats why when I build half/A's I shoot for 28" wingspan and max.
Yes there are some nice 30 inch kits but I think they are really 10's or full A class models.
So brodak has a complete .10 power train setup ?
With a charger ?

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 06:03:27 PM »
Hey Jim
Your recollection of running Fox 15's with 7x4 or 7x6 props jibes with my own.  That is why I was so happy to get that match on the 7x5 APC.

If you go to the Brodak site there is (LH side of page) a menu item caled "ELECTRIC INFORMATION" click on that then click on the first item listed, Arrowind Power Systems.  It lists the components and stock numbers for each system.  It also shows two chargers that work well, the smaller charger is well suited to smaller & power capacity packs, the more expensive one also works with up to 6 cells.  This is intended to give folks flexibility to make their choice.

If you call the folks at Brodak and tell then you want a "10" size system, theis is the list they will use to fill it out.  Of course if you want to do a little mixing and matching you can do that too.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 06:24:27 PM »
Biggest problem with using the 7/6 on the fox .15 was that it gave good speed till you did a tight loop then the speed would drop and you had to wait til it recovered . Kind of like driving the car at slow speed in 4 th gear and your had no instant power after a turn.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here