News:

• May 03, 2024, 10:57:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A electric design  (Read 833 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2A electric design
« on: October 13, 2010, 06:52:22 PM »
Ok, I have a question about 1/2a electric. This is a therotical question. I'm going or thinking profile model.
Now come the question. If I were to mount the engine offfset from the centerline so that the one side had the engine and the battery was on the other side. Would you off set the engine to the inboard side?
I' thinking of doing this so that the battery will sit flat to the profile fuse.  But to do so will need the engine to be shifted one way or the other.
I'm thinking inboard to have the most drag on the outboard side and not need to have more rudder to fly the plane straight.
What do you think. I do not want to have to have a longer nose to mount the battery behing the motor.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: 1/2A electric design
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 09:15:11 PM »
Hi Jim,
Sounds sensible. No need for right-thrust, I'll bet.
You'll have to try it and report! Watch you end up with inboard tip-weight to get the trim right!
take care,
     Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 11:55:42 PM »
I have 3 different designs I am considering.
But I'm considering a shark 182.
Scalled down from a 407 using 28" full span.
That allows me to do wing panels "inkjet printed silkspan" in the new printer.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 07:09:51 PM »
On all my profiles of all sizes, and at least 2 full fuse models, I have been making a special effort to install the pack on the inboard side in order to use centrifugal force to seat the battery and a strap just to keep it from falling out.  Unfortunately that is not always feasible.  I am currently modfying a Shark 402 with a battery pocket in the wing - like the Electric Super Clown.  I also made it so it can slide a total of about 3 inches fore/aft for balance.

The small electric motors are actually quite a bit lighter than reedies, so it is hard to balance them without getting the battery forward som but be careful.  I like the idea of keeping the battery back and lengthening the nose to get the motor out front to get the balance.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 05:25:25 PM »
You guys may have found this link elsewhere, but I'm putting it here just in case.
It is video of John Paris' new electric Sky Writer. The plane is a Minnesota Modeler kit. The electric set up is a 1/2A set we got from Brodak. Here's the link.
http://www.youtube.com/user/frankcarlisle#p/a/u/0/hnTPIK6-yXE
Frank Carlisle

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 05:33:23 PM »
Does putting the pack on the inboard side make the motor richen up once it's in the air?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 11:17:24 AM »
Tim,
Yes it does.  However when it slows down, the electric head is reduced and the motor leans out due to a lack of electrons and speeds back up.  Depending on the system, this oscillation could continue in an exponentially reducing sinusoidal pattern until a constant speed is attained. This why you see the battery back centered in the fuse on the airplane shown.  I do have issues with going rich while inverted that I need to overcome.  I think that Will Hubin's FM-10 will take care of these orientation issues........ :##
John
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 01:20:08 PM by John Paris »
John Paris

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here