News:

• May 03, 2024, 03:34:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A Electric  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Tony Vitiello

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
1/2A Electric
« on: April 20, 2020, 11:51:47 AM »
So I've been flying RC and CL forever, mostly RC.  My kids have gotten into both but really enjoy CL.  They've been flying my old Swordsman 18 and Lil Satan with 049's.  I want to give electric a try.  I have a Hacker A10-9L and a 10 Amp Castle ESC in an RC foamie.  I'm planning to give that a go in a Brodak Stuntman 23.  It's 1700 kV.  I ordered the 1/2A timer from Brodak and some GWS 6x3 and 7x3.5 direct drive props.  I've got some 450 mah 2S lipos.

To you guys who have done electrics in 1/2A size, does this sound like a good setup?  I ran the calculations on Hacker's website and the numbers appear OK.  I'd like to maybe have more pitch but the motor has a prop saver so I'm not sure props like the APC 6x5.5 would work with out a collet type prop adapter.  Thoughts?

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
Re: 1/2A Electric
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 02:10:04 PM »
Sounds like it should work.  You will likely need more pitch an yes, a prop saver mount will work for all 1\2a props just fine.  Double up and use 2 O-rings if you are worried.  A solid collet type mount is best.  To get the COG in the right spot the battery will likely end up as far forward on the nose as possible.  If you find the performance a little underwhelming you can always spice it up by going to a 3S battery.

The Brodak 1\2a timer has no adjustments, just flat out, full throttle for whatever time (3 minutes?).  How old are your kids?  Would they be interested in programming their own full function timer?  A nice little techy project for them - https://circuitflyer.com.

Build it light and make sure the elevator hinge is real loose and floppy.

I've built a few 1\2e planes.  I also converted one of the Flight Test Mighty mini foam board planes to control line.  You can build one of those in an afternoon if you want.  Foam board is not as durable, but for $15 bucks what the heck.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Tony Vitiello

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 03:56:43 PM »
Paul,

Thanks for the info.  I'll pick up an APC 6x5.5.  My 14 year old is very interested in techy projects.  He already told me he could build his own timer so we will check out yours. 

That motor will easily hover a foamy of similar weight  on 2S so hopefully it will be enough.  If not, I'll try 3S.

Thanks again!

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 08:13:54 PM »
About a year ago, I built a copy of Igor Burger’s indoor Max Bee using Dollar Tree foam board. It was powered by a very similar electric Powertrain as you describe: 1700 kV motor, 2s battery, GWS 6-3 prop. We could not find Depron at the time, and the plane came out heavier than I’d wanted (4.6 oz with landing gear, this is airframe only, no motor no battery). It was ok for teaching my 11-yr old normal and inverted flight, but too heavy for stunt. If we find some time, I plan to build my own design, lighter and with more lift (some airfoil instead of plank wing).
Hopefully this gives you some ideas. I’m not sure that traditional 1/2a designs translate well into electrics.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 11:11:50 PM »
The electric coroplast PT19 project might be of interest for trainer duty.   

For more competent flight/stunt needs, larger, simple, foam wing planes fly much better than small planes. 

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7901-my-take-on-keith-morgans-pt-19-trainer
https://stunthanger.com/smf/12-a-building/my-take-on-keith-morgans-pt-19-trainer/msg392653/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:49:22 AM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 10:54:46 PM »
Hi Tony,

I've done a lot of experimenting with 1/2A electric models and there are a few ways to make them fly as well as the old Babe Bee. It also depends on what model you want to build because prop clearance becomes an issue on models with wheels. I use motors that weigh around 30 grams with a Kv of 1900 to 2000 turning an APC 6 x 5.5 E prop for models like the Carl Goldberg 1/2A's. If you want a combat wing like the Lil Satan etc. then you can use a lower Kv motor around 1500 or maybe your 1700 motor will work, on an APC 7 x 5 E prop. Having flown both small and larger props, I did not notice any worthwhile difference, and I love the old 1/2 models like the Stuntman, Jumping Bean etc. I have small Ringmasters as well. Just btw, make the nose a little longer on the old 1/2A designs. My Sparky is really twitchy! The 2S 450 mAh lipo goes into the outer wing.

I've added some pics of my Baby Sparky that I made a few years ago, and it has a 1900 Kv motor, 12A esc (10A is fine), 6 x 5.5 prop. I used one of my own KR Governor timers (obviously  ;D) and I initially thought that this was a bit of an overkill so I figured out a much simpler version to make it cheaper. No programming, just switch on and fly something like a Babe Bee. Then it struck me that it is not that much cheaper in the long run because this governor timer can be used in a bigger model when customers want a bigger model were the governor can be utilized better. The motor shut-down feature when you hit the deck is also a plus and the constant speed of a governor just flies models so much better, so I stuck with what I have. (maybe I'm just too lazy to build another version??)

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Wolfgang Nieuwkamp

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 03:37:26 AM »
Keith,
could you publish a drawing of the Baby Sparky? My grandson is getting older...
Regards,
Wolfgang

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 08:58:00 AM »
Hi Wolfgang,

I did not actually draw a comprehensive plan. It was just a quick project to test my 1/2A power package. The wing is just a rough cut foam wing and covered in medium weight tissue and white wood glue mixed with water. I improved the plan quickly in Inkscape so here it is in pdf format. If you use Inkscape then I can send it in svg format. I did take some photo's when I built it for my own records, so here are a few. Oh....jut btw, I drew the nose longer while I was doing this. The short spars in the wing and the battery box are 1.5 mm balsa. Ask questions if you need more info.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 09:00:16 AM »
Some more photo's........
Keith R

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 09:10:35 AM »
Here are some of the inner wing hollowed out, and with the bellcrank fitted. It's rough like I told you! The bellcrank unit is just glued into the foam with white wood glue.
Keith R

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 09:15:32 AM »
I get bored flying flat winged airplanes (I need to build a 1/2A with real wings...).  But for $25 you can get a cheapo car/boat radio from HobbyKing that comes complete with receiver.  A-Main Hobbies sells a Tactic transmitter for $44, and matching receivers are cheap.

Or if you already fly RC, just use a 2.4GHz RC transmitter and hang it off your belt.

For training a throttle is nice: full throttle and fly, if someone gets dizzy and wants to stop you just pull the throttle back -- that's it.  You can also do touch & goes, and all the other fun throttle stuff you can dream up (1/2A electric carrier!).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Wolfgang Nieuwkamp

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 03:28:38 AM »

I did not actually draw a comprehensive plan. It was just a quick project to test my 1/2A power package. The wing is just a rough cut foam wing and covered in medium weight tissue and white wood glue mixed with water. I improved the plan quickly in Inkscape so here it is in pdf format.

Keith, is this pdf file somewhere?
Regards,

Wolfgang

Offline jerry v

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 06:49:53 AM »
Tony,
I built Dualsky Yak-54 as indoor control line. Flown in the gym on 15 ft Dacron lines. I used motor with prop saver, two O-rings from Home Depot faucet repair kit. When I was doing sharp corners of square loops, prop flew off. When I winded some thread over O-rings, prop was secure in any stunt.
My setup:
Motor Suppo 2204/14 1400 kv
Prop orange  or black GWS 8x4
Or APC park fly 8x3.8
Battery 2 cell 450 mah or 2 cell 800 mah lipo
Cheap 10 A ESC
Brodak  FM-Oc timer (BH - 1869)
Weight ready to fly with 2 cell 450 mah battery - 5 oz

Jerry

Variety is the spice of life.

Offline jerry v

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 07:00:26 AM »
Tony,
Here is picture of electronics on Yak - 54

Jerry

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 11:09:32 PM »
Keith, is this pdf file somewhere?
Regards,

Wolfgang
It's on top of the first picture where I replied to you, but I'll load it here again.
Keith R

Offline jerry v

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 08:21:48 AM »
And here is the picture of the bottom side of Yak-54. Adjustable leadouts, bellcrank is made of two sheets 1/64 ply epoxied as sandwich .

Jerry

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 09:37:28 PM »
I improved the plan quickly in Inkscape so here it is in pdf format.
Keith R

You know, looking at the .pdf and squinting a little, I see the old Cox foam Super Stunter wing.  I already have an electric powred plane with the foam wing, but this gives me something to look at.  I have five or six sets of those old wing sets.Mark

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 03:37:12 AM »
Dose anybody sell 1/2A foam wing sets?  Looks like a fun project.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 03:44:55 PM »
Dose anybody sell 1/2A foam wing sets?  Looks like a fun project.
Phil Cartier sells Lil Hacker combat kits (find Corehouse under the Vendors section below). I've heard they fly well when converted to electric. We'll try that later this summer..

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 03:48:49 PM »
Tony,
I built Dualsky Yak-54 as indoor control line.
Weight ready to fly with 2 cell 450 mah battery - 5 oz

Jerry

I assume it was an R/C kit? Can you measure the thickness of the Depron used there?

Offline jerry v

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 07:42:01 PM »
Mike,
It was RC kit. Depron thickness is 3 mm (.118 in)
Ailerons and wing was precut 45 degrees bevel at hinges, so I reversed ailerons and glued solid. No flaps.

Jerry

Offline jerry v

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 07:46:09 PM »
Kit components

Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags: