News:

• May 04, 2024, 12:26:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A electric  (Read 1376 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2A electric
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:00:09 AM »
Right now I've been searching the posts here in the amp'ed section looking for photo's of 1/2A electric models showing the battery and motor setup. I'm trying to get a good handle on what mounting the electric will entail prior to having a bunch of parts in my hand and no clue how it goes together to be a clean looking mount.
SO  I'd appreciate any 1/2A electric photo's I can get.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: 1/2A electric
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 02:50:10 PM »
How about some data on 1/4-A.  That is, an electric replacement for the Cox pee-wee 020.  I have a couple of sport free flight planes but I don't have good luck trying to operate the Cox motors.  Motor, controller, timer, battery.  All that stuff.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 03:41:56 PM »
Did you look through the "List your setup" thread?  There's over 70 planes in there, some with pictures some just with the equipment used.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 04:23:10 PM »
Here are a couple of pictures of my 1/2A size plane. Hope they help.

It's basically a piece of 1/8 plywood with blind nuts (note the screws come from behind). I just did a light fiberglass reinforcement to the front part of the plane to make sure it all stayed together.

The timer and ESC are mounted in the wing with a small hinged flap for access.

The battery is in the open on the bottom of the wing held on with velcro straps so I could adjust it's position to balance the plane.

It flies very well.

If you have any other questions drop me a line.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 07:03:59 PM »
How about some data on 1/4-A.  That is, an electric replacement for the Cox pee-wee 020.  I have a couple of sport free flight planes but I don't have good luck trying to operate the Cox motors.  Motor, controller, timer, battery.  All that stuff.

Floyd

Hi Floyd
Here's an idea: Brodak is offering the pieces for an ultra-light 020 system using the 1806 motor, 12A ESC, Hubin FM-0c & 2Sx450 pack.  Intent is to fly a 1/2A sized bird with a 6x4 prop indoors on short lines.  I have one of these set-up in a Swordsman 18; 4.25 oz RTF.  Don't know what size prop you would like, but that set-up would turn a 6x4 easily.  It is also equipped with a "Prop saver" - the prop is held on with O-rings and it gives a little if you nose over.  You might have to get a special timer tho.  the Timer is a simplified unit it runs full throttle for 3 minutes.  You might want to go to Wil Hubin and see if he could make you something with an adjustable throttle and ajustable flight time down to.... 30 seconds?

Anyhow you CAN get there from here...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 09:22:09 PM »
Here are some photos of  my Baby Ringmaster (Pat King kit patdk@aol.com) which I modified for electric.

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 08:01:19 PM »
I have 5 small 1/2a ships, all kits originaly designed for Cox reed valve motors that I now fly electric.  I made an aluminum motor and battery mount that all hangs off the bulkhead and uses the same hole pattern as the Cox backplate.  The only mod to the airframe is a small piece of velcro to stick on the timer.  Because the electric motor weighs less than the IC motor the battery has to be mounted right up at the front.  Not the best place for it, but it works.  The modular design allows me to easily switch the motor setup from one plane to another.  The battery mount can be mounted on the top or off to the side as required, even at an angle as pictured.  The ESC is tucked in behind the motor.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 05:22:41 AM »
Paul
Looks great! I have a few questions:

What mah battery do you use?
What is the prop size?
How long are your flight times?

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 02:40:58 PM »
Jim,

Thunderpower 480mAh 3s 20c battery.  APC 6x5.5 prop.  The motor in the picture has been rewound.  It's approximately 1800kv.  I also have a stock motor (1100kv)that I use APC 7x4 and 7x5 props.  I get about 3 to 3.5 minutes per charge.  35' x .008" steel  lines.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 12:53:30 PM »
Paul

thanks!    :) :) :)

Jim

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here