News:

• June 07, 2024, 03:52:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: E-trainer....Finally Flies!  (Read 641 times)

Offline Rob Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
E-trainer....Finally Flies!
« on: June 09, 2010, 08:32:20 AM »
I've been a lurker on this site for the past year. I've been a secret CL stunt enthusiast for well over 30 years but have never taken that first step forward. Sure, back in grade school I flew a little CL, somewhat unsuccessfully using a all plastic Cox PT-19 trainer. Cut fingers, glow fuel stained hands, and broken plastic parts is about the only result.

Awhile back I had the good fortune to bump into Mark Scarborough at the local R/C field. This experience reignited my CL passion yet again. I fly just about anything R/C but since the early 90s have been an electric power enthusiast. Thank God that electric power has come to CL!

Wanting to learn how to fly CL, Mark put me on the other side of the handle this past fall flying a Ukey trainer. The first flight was dizzying but exciting. Second flight resulted in a pancake crash. The rules of the field dictated that I take Mark's Ukey home and repair it. That got me thinking...why not build an electric powered trainer similar to the Ukey. A trip to Mark's shop produced a set of foam wing cores he had laying around that were for some unknown combat project. They looked about right with about the right amount of wing area needed for the project. The rest is history and the new creation, based heavily off of the Ukey design was born. E-trainer seems to be a simple and fitting name at this time.

Last night brought the first trim flights for the model and my early attempts at trying to learn to fly CL. Very humbling yet exciting! Currently the model is powered by a E-Flite Park 480 outrunner (1020Kv) spinning a 10x7 APCe propeller. RPM at launch was about ~8400 which resulted in a 4.9 second lap time. Right now the lines are set at 56ft. Mark actually "flew" the model. With me at the handle it was just a "hold on and try to keep it level" effort. Again, the flight ended with a shallow pancake into the ground which broke the motor's shaft but really no other damage. Well my pride maybe. It kind of stinks to go from a competent R/C pilot who can fly just about anything to a "hardly knows anything, can barely fly a spinning  rock, and very green" CL pilot. I guess there has to be some kind of learning curve on the way to becoming a world champion!

Many thanks go to Mark Scarborough, Dean Pappas, Bob Hunt, and Mike Palko for taking the time to answer questions or provide information that has kept my interest in CL alive. I'm excited to be involved in the sport and look forward to more action at the handle...that is if I can keep the airplane and the ground from meeting one another! I wonder if I can program a mix into the handle?

Rob

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: E-trainer....Finally Flies!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 08:52:59 AM »
Rob,
its a blast, especially after going to fly at the RC field and ME being the one who is the rookie.
The E-trainer flies really well for its purpose.  Actually I think I could fly combat with it. the first flight was a bit touchy so we talked about some things to mellow it down a bit. Actually flies really well around neutral, just when you input corner it JUMPS. All in all, for a trainer/stunt experimental plane, she does really well. plenty of power.
Have to say, thats one of the really nice things about teaching an accomplished modeler CL, They understand bench trim, balance and alignment.

It should be said too, when I launched Rob, I inadvertently programed in the timer for 3 minutes instead of 2, Had I only held the button for TWO bleeps, instead of THREE Rob probably would have survived the first flight in tact,,

It was also fun that his son Zach was there to watch the festivities, lol I promise Rob, he wasnt laughing at you,, no really,,
Zach flies RC VERY well, well enough to make us old duffers want to put our planes back in the car.

Its also been really good for me to have Rob to pester about electric setups and components. His knowledge has really helped me to get my new stunter planned.
Keep your eyes open for the debut of the ~Electrajet~ coming to a contest near you soon,,

and Rob, the real reason I made you take the Ukey home last year was because I didnt want to clean up the spent castor,, lol,, so now you know the REST of the story,,
Ya done good man,, now, about getting my RC Sukhoi back in the air again?
Congrats my friend, now, go practice, I expect you to be ready to fly the begginer pattern later this fall , contests coming
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:25:52 PM »
Rob:
CONGRATS!  E-trainer looks well thought out and well executed.  Sounds like it flies great too. 

I have been trying something that you might be able to adapt to your bird.  I have a 1/2A sized bird with a soft mount - the motor is rubber banded
on over a spacer block.  It has not been crashed yet...

ANyhow, possibly something line that would have helped your pancake landing...? 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 03:35:50 PM »
Actually, I think flying the plane farther away from the grass would have helped as much as anything,, but hey what do I know,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 03:40:14 PM »
Actually, I think flying the plane farther away from the grass would have helped as much as anything,, but hey what do I know,,

But ANYBODY could do that!!!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 03:43:07 PM »
Dennis, I think he was just checking to make sure he was two mistakes high,,

after all he is an RC guy,,

PS I know he is in Spokane at the hobby shop today, so I can be a smart alec and he wont know till later,, muah ha ha,, * evil laugh*
honestly though, It did,, uh,, does,, fly really well considering it was a "throw together"
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Rob Smith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 04:02:20 PM »
Thanks for the idea Dennis. Looks to be perfect solution for my skill level!

As far as Mark goes.....lets see those bottoms at 5.5 feet mister!!

A couple new motor shafts and a few new propellers and the E-trainer will be back in business. I have a sneaking suspicion this won't be its last interaction with the  ground.

Rob

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 04:12:18 PM »
I have a sneaking suspicion this won't be its last interaction with the  ground.

which is why it is what it is,, and next time, I will remember to count the FIRST spin  up as ONE, and the second as TWO,, not the first as, UH, and the second as ONE,,  %^@ y1
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here