News:

• May 02, 2024, 12:40:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2a electric  (Read 3148 times)

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
1/2a electric
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:34:28 PM »
I have been thinking of trying to build a simple 1/2a size model w/ an electric system.  I want to use a brush type motor and NMh battery.  The fly in the ointment is the timer.  E-flight has a small unit but is is not out yet.  Can the 1/2a timer from Brodak be used on a simple set up like this?  Does anyone know the adjustment range on the Brodak unit?  The price is attractive.
ama 5871

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1/2a electric
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 11:40:03 PM »
If you have a motor controller the timer will work fine -- those timers just appear to the motor controller to be a receiver, and should be compatible with anything.

But before you proceed, consider the weight difference between the setup you are proposing and a modern brushless with LiPo.  You may get something that'll be able to stagger into the air and fly, but I don't think you'll be able to approach "wet" performance with anything less than modern equipment.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Robert-Jan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 02:10:27 AM »
People say you can't fly on copper lines.
If you look at my video you see it is not true.
The most expensive part's were the battery's. (but I already had them)
The equipmend (and pilots)
Me flying. (It sounds as a 1/2A due to the high RPM

Greetings Robert-Jan

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 08:50:11 AM »
I have been thinking of trying to build a simple 1/2a size model w/ an electric system.  I want to use a brush type motor and NMh battery.  The fly in the ointment is the timer.  E-flight has a small unit but is is not out yet.  Can the 1/2a timer from Brodak be used on a simple set up like this?  Does anyone know the adjustment range on the Brodak unit?  The price is attractive.

Depends on what exactly you want to fly.  If you are going to use some sort of RC speed controller, then any of the available timer/flight manager units will work.  If you want to use the brushed motor so that you can use a simple switch then none of them will.  They all function by emulating an RC receiver and they need to talk to a speed control or a servo - they can't turn a motor on or off by themselves.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 05:49:27 PM »
I tired the brushed motor with NMh in the past. I found a circuit on the web that shut off the motor when the voltage dropped to a certain level. Parts came from Radio Shack. It all "worked" but the results were pretty disappointing. Just too much weight and not enough power. The airplane flew but that was about it, level flight was about all it could do. It was about as light as I could make it. Looked like a combat plane with a foam wing and just an elevator.

If cost is a consideration there are a number of setups at HobbyKing that would work fine for 1/2A sized planes. Motor, speed controller and lipo batteries for less than $30 or $40 dollars for the whole lot. They even have some very inexpensive chargers for small lipos. Might be worth a look if you really want to try 1/2A electric but don't want to spend too much.
Bob Frogner

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 10:56:49 PM »
that sounds like what I am looking for.  I want to try to put together a not expensive electric system for a smaller plane.  Do you know the item or part numbers for the hobby king system?  I want to sport fly locally and not have the noise problem.  I hope you can come up with the part numbers.  This will be my first electric and I am not sure of all that is needed.
ama 5871

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 07:19:45 AM »
Hi Bob,
One of the things I learned from rubbing elbows with both my Electric RC Sport buddies and the first few maniacs to try E-Pattern was that when both brushless and LiPo came along, so did true high performance ...
but for medium perfprmance Sport purposes, {LiPos and brushed} OR {brushless and NiMh} both performed beautifully.

I'd suggest LiPo and cheap brushed motors with a low voltage cutoff.
BUT, the cutoff must be at 3.4V per cell or slightly above in order to assure decent battery cycle life.
A123s would work similarly with a 2.9V cutoff.

BFROG, where's that circuit you saw on the web?

take care All,
  Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Richard Lewis

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 11:50:05 AM »
I am currently experimenting with a low cost E setup for 1/2A aerobatic use for mt 12 year old son to fly at the partk when we can't get to a big circle.  The plane I'm experimenting with is a Li'l Hacker II, a 1/2A combat wing from CoreHouse.  The plane is built pretty much stock, I added a 1" spacer behind the motor to get it further forward to get the CG more right.  I also cut the tips off the wings to get it down to ~180 sq. inches after the first flight.  I did a bit of research and bought the following to items to start with.  Overall cost flying is about $35.  With additional cost if you buy more batteries, charger, etc...

1400 Kv Outrunner Motor, $9:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4204
10A Esc, $9:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=51432
2-Cell, 360 Mah Battery, $5:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7301
3 Cell, 360 Mah Battery, $7:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7302

Timer is the E-Flite one for $10

Flew for the first time yesterday with a GWS 8x4.3 slow-flyer prop ($0.50).

With the 2 cell battery, perfromance was lacking, just barely enough speed to stay out on the lines and zero aerobatic potential.  The AUW with this battery is 7 oz.  The Li'l Hacker wingtips were cutoff to give the wing area about 180 sq. in and it perfromed a little better than stock with 220+ sq. in., but still not viable for aerobatics.

With the 3 cell battery it weighs 7.2 oz and it could loop on the downwind side, but was still pretty anemic.

The amps for the 2-cell were about 5 amps and the 3-cell was around 6 amps.  I used about 60Mah per minute on the 2-cell, meaning I could fly as much as 3 minute on the 360 packs.  On the 3-cell, I used about 110Mah, meaning a two minute flight is about as much as I could get.

This tells me I have a little more power available in both the motor/ESC/Battery combos if I can find the righgt prop.  I am going to try a APC 6x5.5e prop next and see if it gets the pitch speed up a bit, since the 8x4.3 prop had plenty of thrust, but did not cary enough speed/energy to stay out on the lines like it should.

The general goal of my setup was to be a light as a 1/2 glow setup (6-7 oz) and have moderatley aerobatic performance.  If I concede a bit of weight and go to 9 or 10 oz, then it opens up a much wider range of motor/battery combinations that will give much better performance.  Using a bigger battery 450 to 800 mah, allows pulling 10+ amps from the batteries, and allows the use of a more powerful motor.  You end up in the $50 to $60 range...

An Alternate Motor with similar characteristics that seems better (lighter/more power) than the one I bought is:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6547

I'll try to post back with some more results when I have them...I plan to build the second plane from the double kit with few mods to lighten it up abit.

Regards,
Richard Lewis
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:22:46 PM by Richard Lewis »

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 05:15:31 PM »
Dean,

I'm going to have to search for the low voltage circuit. I don't remember where I found it.

I'll do a little checking around and see if I can dig it up again. It couldn't have been too difficult as I am a mechanical engineer not electrical!!!
Bob Frogner

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 05:18:30 PM »
Hey Richard, I've also started working on electrifying the Lil Hacker. I am going to try the Turnigy 28-22-A engine, at 1650kv.
I am waiting for parts to arrive from HK.

-Chris

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 06:23:34 PM »
Dean,

I'm going to have to search for the low voltage circuit. I don't remember where I found it.

I'll do a little checking around and see if I can dig it up again. It couldn't have been too difficult as I am a mechanical engineer not electrical!!!
One voltage regulator or reference.
One comparator.
One logic-level MOSFET.
two, maybe three resistors.

Hook them up appropriately -- ta da!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Richard Lewis

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 06:53:44 PM »
Chris....I'm gonna start a li'l hacker thread and paste my post in it....please keep me updated and I will do the same!!

RIchard

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 07:50:27 PM »
Bob,

Forget the brush type motor, Go with a brushless outrunner!!

I have a Pat King Baby Ringmaster from a kit by Pat King (patdk@aol.com) which I converted to electric. Here are the components:

Electric converted Baby Ringmaster (Pat King kit patdk@aol.com)

Flight weight = 7.7 oz
Wingspan = 24+ inches (modified to extend an extra 4 inches)
Area = 112 sq inches
Wing loading = 9.2 oz per sq foot
Motor = Turnigy 2822 at 1400KV (hobby King)
Prop = APC 7 x 5 electric thin PUSHER
RPM = 11500
Current = 5.4 Amp
Battery = Rhino 3S 460 20C (Hobby King)
ESC = Castle Creations 10 Amp in Control Line Governor Set RPM mode
Timer = Will Hubin FM-0d (whubin@kent.edu)

The Castle Creations Phoenix ESC is pricey so you might want to go with the Turnigy 10 amp from Hobby King.

Flies great on 35 to 40 foot lines

There are some other 1/2 A combos in the List Your Set Up at the top of this Forum.
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Michael Reed

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 01:35:50 AM »
Stevens Aeromodel has really neat "1/2a" size electrics that wont break the bank.

I just picked up the new model from Stevens Aeromodel, the RingRat 250. http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAero-RingRat-CL-250-Nostalgic-Electric-Control-Line-Sport-SAK-RRAT250-p-20387.html .

The 250 is so named for its 250sqin area as people like me were wanting something slightly bigger, or "400" size electric, Than their smaller Ringrat100 and Scram 100sqin planes.

Mike

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 06:22:13 PM »
If 'someone' did comercial R.T.F. 1/2 As , it MIGHT get c/l 'Happening' like the Cox etc rtfs did once ??

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 09:37:13 PM »
If 'someone' did comercial R.T.F. 1/2 As , it MIGHT get c/l 'Happening' like the Cox etc rtfs did once ??
Spelunk through the forum, and you'll find discussions about that.

Bottom line: it'd either be a piece of c**p or way expensive.  You could maybe do a decent one for less than $100 _if_ you had the volume to sell it at Walmart.  But in "cottage industry" quantities, it'd probably be impossible to make money at it.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here