News:

• May 04, 2024, 08:05:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 12 V Batteries used to Charge our Flight packs  (Read 840 times)

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
12 V Batteries used to Charge our Flight packs
« on: April 18, 2007, 08:25:56 PM »
Hi Guys,

After getting input from several pilots on SH, I bought two 12V, 18 Amp batteries. Here is the source I used. They were very helpful on the phone and gave fast delivery:

http://ebatteriestogo.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EBTG&Product_Code=01-352

Linhart told me that he was getting 3 charges from his 12V BMW MC battery. This is what encouraged me to try one. The 12V AGM 18 AH batteries I selected were approx. $38 ea.

I highly recommend getting the AGM type battery if you can. They are better and safer for our needs.

The batteries each give three full charges of my flight packs. The 1st time I used them I had to reset my charger during the 3rd charge when the flt. pack got to approx. 16.2V and kicked me out. This happened only during the 1st use. From the 2nd use on, it always gives me 3 full charges. It will not give me a full charge on the 4th battery. (A 24 AH 12V may give you 4 full charges?)

The goal was to have 6 charges added to 5 flight packs giving me 11 flights at the local park. This is plenty of flights for me. When I go to our club field, we have power and I can fly as long as I can keep it up.

Using two smaller 12V batteries has been a good solution for my needs. Two batteries are much easier to carry at 15 lbs. each. They come with a molded in grip to hold on to. I use two chargers so I can charge two flight packs at a time, one connected to ea. 12V. At the leisurely pace I fly it seems that there is always a pack available during my 10 or 11 flights.

After getting three charges (approx. 3,200 mAh each) out of the 12V 18 AH battery, it took 8.6 hours to recharge the 12V. My Triton charger puts in 14,289 mAh and brings the 12V battery up to 13.18V at the end of the recharge.

I hope this info. helps those of you who don't want to lug around a 50 to 75 lb. car battery.

Regards,  H^^

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
Re: 12 V Batteries used to Charge our Flight packs
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 08:57:36 PM »
Rudy,
   Thank you for the information. Like I mentioned in your previous thread this will help some of my club members who want a light weight charging system. I am glad things worked out for you!!

Unfortunately, until my 50lb deep cycle battery goes bad I am going to carry it around and get made fun of by my club members (whats new?)......  :(

Mike   

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 12 V Batteries used to Charge our Flight packs
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 10:19:03 PM »
Hi Mike,

I remember you asking me to post my results because some of your friends wanted a lighter solution than the 50+ lb car battery. Sorry it took me so long.

Don't kid us as to why you lug that BIG battery around. We all know you just want to build up your "guns" to impress the girls!   n~
Rudy
AMA 1667

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here