News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:04:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2 E plane  (Read 1110 times)

Offline bfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
1/2 E plane
« on: February 21, 2008, 06:00:33 PM »
Attached are a couple of photos of my 1/2 E plane. It has gone through some changes and shows a bit of wear but works very well. I originally built it as a flat wing but then added 2 mm depron to the top of the wing to get a built up airfoil. It worked well this way last weekend when I had some more experienced fliers try it out. It could do anything they wanted, loops, eights, and inverted. It didn't fly too well inverted with the flat bottom so I have added a similar construction to the bottom of the wing to make it symmetrical (well almost!). I hope to fly it again this weekend if the weather cooperates.

A couple of other details. Mostly 4 mm depron construction with carbon rods running the length of the fuse and the wing. 1/32 ply in spots for reinforcement. I use a Himax 2812-1080 motor with an APC 9X4.5 prop. I plan to try a Master Airscrew 8.5X4 pusher next. Phoenix 25 ESC, Will Hubin timer/controller and either a Thunder Power 910 or 1300 battery.  All up weight with the larger battery is 12 oz.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 07:37:59 PM by bfrog »
Bob Frogner

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
Re: 1/2 E plane
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »
Do you fly it on 42' ?  What kind of RPM and lap time does it do?

Well, might as well get all the stats - How about static current draw?
(that's about it, I think).

Which version of Will's timer do you have? Can you sense the RPM
"ramp up" ?

Well, that will give you enough to type about     :)

Mike
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 11:38:47 PM »
Mike,

Questions, questions, questions!!! I knew I would forget some details.

I have been flying on 38' lines just because that's what I had in the box. I think I'll try 42s next time up. It should not be a problem. Didn't time the laps or take a tach to it but it felt about right, not too fast and not too slow. I'll check that too.

Static current draw is 9.5 amps at about 10 volts on the watt meter but not a full charge on the battery. It's around 90 plus watts on the ground.

The timer is set up for the default Castle Creations Phoenix ESC. I bought a Castle link and checked the ESC, it's all the default settings. I did not feel any "ramp up" but that could just me being insensitive!

One last bit I didn't have last post, wingspan is 24" about 130 sq in.

I have been really happy with the way it flies and the power. It will be interesting to see how the new symmetrical airfoil and a reverse rotation prop will help it. I think I surprised some fellows at the field at how well it did fly. They didn't think an electric would be so smooth.
Bob Frogner

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 09:15:48 AM »
I have an idea for a postal contest --  :)

It's not really fleshed out yet, but it involves everyone putting an RTF
model into the same box -

Then we ship the box from competitor to competitor - and each one
flies ALL the models - packs them back up and ships it to the next
guy ....

Well, that's all I've got so far -- if anyone is interested, throw out some
details .... LL~

(This is MOSTLY tongue-in-cheek  . . . )

Mike A
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 11:17:54 AM »
Mike,

Questions, questions, questions!!! I knew I would forget some details.

The timer is set up for the default Castle Creations Phoenix ESC. I bought a Castle link and checked the ESC, it's all the default settings. I did not feel any "ramp up" but that could just me being insensitive!  ...

Most of the Castle's have "governor", don't they?  That would eliminate the need for the timer to do any ramp-up.  One of the parameters that Will has been experimenting with is how much to change the RPM (based on run time and initial setting of the "Power" pot).  He has come up with a way to dial in the ramp up, as well as the other three parameters. 

Also, my first two units from him were unable to set the initial RPM, because my ESC's needed to see "full speed" and "off" in order to auto-detect the throttle level.  So he re-programmed mine to work more like the JMP - you push the button and the timer runs up to full-speed and back to zero.  Then you push the button again, and it runs normally from that point on.  (I have just GOT to get the programmer and the knowledge to do that kind of programming myself - I'd save the cost of it back in postage alone.)

Mike A
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 01:04:19 PM »
Mike,

To be truthful I don't understand some of the programing on the ESC's. That's why I use the default. I have to study up on it and get to know it better.

The timer Will sent me is new. You push the button and it ramps up to full speed for a couple of seconds then turns off for a few seconds then runs up to full power. Sounds similar to what you have without the second button push. It's calibrating full power on the initial ramp up and then going to zero.

Oh, by the way, I tested the plane out with a fresh battery today and the current was 10.8 Amps at around 11 volts. RPM was 8500 and a 9X4.5 APC prop. I thought it would be better with the fully charged battery.
Bob Frogner

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here