News:

• May 02, 2024, 09:20:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2-A SIZE ELECTRICS  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Dick Sarpolus

• This stuff is fun.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
1/2-A SIZE ELECTRICS
« on: June 07, 2007, 03:10:46 PM »
The guy pictured flying here has a half-A size electric powered airplane on the end of those 35' .008 lines.  Yes it's Bob Hunt, flying in his back yard.  Today.  Telephoto lens makes the site look smaller, but there's room there for a 70' circle.
In other picture is my friend Ray Borden, Bob Hunt, and myself with four of my small electric C/L ships.
No, they're not "serious" stunters.  They're made out of sheet foam.  But they're fun.  Each of these four has a different power setup, some better, all fairly capable.  And I think they show that small electric powered stunters are possible.  If you could see Bob flying some of them through the pattern maneuvers, you might be impressed. 
I post these pictures to suggest that half-A size electric stunters can be made, now, with available hardware, if anybody wants to.  For fun. 

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: 1/2-A SIZE ELECTRICS
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 11:35:19 PM »
I am quite interseted in the setups and more details!

I was just looking at these and have ordered two of the little 10 gram silver jobs. 4.5A and 5 ounces of thrust turning a 7 inch prop sounds like just the ticket for something like this or even a tad smaller. They only need 7.4V so you don't have to have the more expensive and heavier 3S Lipo packs!

http://2dogrc.com/ecommerce/os/catalog/brushless-motors-micro-motors-c-26_88_136.html

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 07:18:30 AM »
Yea, like Bob said, more info!

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 11:16:18 AM »
It also looks like the material used in these planes could be that fanfold Dow Blucore foam.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 04:53:46 PM »
Dick,
   Where do you find the time???? You need to let me in on the secret.  :P Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. To bad the indoor fun fly never got off the ground, maybe next year?

For those who are interested, Dick has already published several articles on 1/2a electric sheet foam C/L models. This would make for a neat event since 1/2a glow engines are getting scarce!!

Mike

Offline Dick Sarpolus

• This stuff is fun.
  • New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 08:52:16 AM »
For a half-A size electric, I wanted something that would fly on at least 35' or more of .008 cable and would fly through the pattern maneuvers, not great maybe, but well enough that I'd enjoy flying it.  I found that it took more power than I thought it would, had to go to larger motors and batteries, that was heavier so needed more wing area.  After a number of designs I ended up with about 250 sq ins wing area and about 12 to 15 ozs ready to fly weight.  Lighter without landing gear, I fly over grass, put landing gear on for indoor flying in sports domes etc.  When Bob Hunt flies it, he does things like Cotter Pins and Point-Down Triangles, lays down on the grass while flying, he has a lot of fun and we get a lot of laughs with it. 

I'm using 3-cell LiPo packs, 1500, 1800, up to 2000mah ratings.  Different motors drawing 12 to 16 amps.  So about 150 watts to get the performance I wanted.  Haven't got to sophisticated timers, I use the Zigras timer, run wide open till cutoff, hey this is simply a small size aircraft, flying for fun.  My latest electric C/L was in the April 2006 issue of FM, plans and details in there. 

Outrunner motors with 8 or 9" props, inrunner motors with geared setups turning 11" props much slower, both approaches work, outrunner setup is easier.  I went with sheet foam construction for simplicity.  For years I flew half-A sheet balsa profiles and enjoyed them, now I enjoy the electric foam sheet profiles.  With enough power I've flown an electric on 45' lines, it handles well.  One of the planes pictured has an airfoiled foam core cut by Phil C., his half-A combat wing, and it works well, but it could use some more area. 

I'm sure electric C/L could be, is being done with smaller motors and batteries, lighter airplanes and shorter lines.  I've seen the indoor small electric C/L slow flying videos, they're neat, I just wanted something larger for outdoor flying, the stuff I prefer. 

Next step for better performance would be to make a light weight built-up balsa airplane, something like Larry Renger's latest Sky Sport in FM with a little more area, for this electric power setup.  When I get around to it. 

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 09:08:58 AM »
Hi,
You guys are having too much fun and hopefully Ya'll will just be the first
among many to enjoy this particular brand of fun.

My question is, at some point, somebody is gonna want to compete in 1/2 A
stunt with his electric "fun-machine" and therefore precisely defining what an equivalent electric motor for an .046-.061 IC engine actually or for defining what size limit for a 1/2 A size airplane actually is and then powering it with electric will need to be worked out.  It's one of them "new fangled lectric dilemmas that's out causing folks to be messing with rules again" LL~ 

I guess when you do something as revolutionary as Electric Stunt then all kinds ancillary questions get stirred up along the way. I don't know enough to
suggest proposals just raise the question and hope lots of other people get to share the fun.
Actually, the idea of flying 1/2 A stunt without dealing finicky, cranky, balky and ear-splitting screaming little engines sounds more and more like fun to me.  Flying in your backyard with no neighbor complaints sounds even better.  Some guys have all the fun.
                                                                     Pat Robinson

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 08:06:01 AM »
I have the same sort of question as to the definition of 1/2A electric too. In one sense it has been defined for me by Jim Renkar who said I could fly electric in his 1/2a stunt contest--- as long as the prop was less than 6 inch diameter---nominally the largest prop you typically see in a Cox or Norvel type engine. I can buy that I guess, although on relflection it would seem odd to specify larger engine equivalents that way.

Offline Dick Sarpolus

• This stuff is fun.
  • New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
I hope that the 1/2A stunt community will be receptive to allowing electric power technology.  It would of course be easy to prohibit electric power.  I have no idea how to define 1/2A electric power, but I think it should not be done by a 6" prop size limitation.  An electric motor may never come even close to the rpm's of a high revving Cox/Norvel, but can get the performance by turning a larger prop at lower rpm's.  Aircraft size or line length are probably not a good definition.  Maybe the technical guys can call for a watts rating, say 200 watts or so, something equivalent to the Cox/Norvel hp output.   

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 12:45:45 AM »
oh boy this should be interesting!
last year i flew a 1/2A stunt model, and it was a .049 not a .061 which by the way keeps getting referred to as a 1/2A which by definition it is not.
mine was powered by a cyclon which is admitedly a very strong .049, it is used mostly in freeflight and combat events.
the airplane has 315 square inches of wing area and flys off of grass and performs very well. one former national champion commented that it would be competitive in any stunt class(maybe with him flying it).
anyway my point is that it turns a 6x1.8 prop at around 26,000 and flies on 60 foot lines. and makes a fair amount of noise doing it. some find it annoying, others (well me anyway) find it enjoyable
so maybe an electric equivilent should be based on that, in which case you can build much bigger airplanes. allthough i doubt that too many people would agree that would be fair.
but the earlier post mentioned 8-9 " props running at a lower RPM should be legal. Well frankly that sounds like a .25 sized engine. my LA 25 runs a 9x4 at 11,000
even some good 19's will pull a 9" prop
So I have a suggestion:
start a small electric class.
size the motor and battery to what seems appropriate
write some rules that the electric community agree on and get some CD's to add the event to the contest.
you dont even need to get the contest boards involved it just starts as a regional event (like P-40)
if you can get at least three competitive models to show up i bet most CD's would add it to the contest!
I would gladly do it.
and the P-40 event could be handled the same way, maybe call it P-Electric
i  believe you will have way more success with this route than trying to change existing engine size events to suit the electric motors.
and by the way just because a C/D wont let you fly an electric model in an engine size limited event doesn't mean he hates electrics.
I just havent figured out how to measure the displacement of an electric motor.
PIxDsquared/4xstroke just doesn't work, unless you measure the case? (is that with or without subtracting the winding area?)

So RUDY get three flyers together to pre-register and come up here for the goyet meet and we will host the first P-electric event
let me know soon so i can make announcements and get awards

Dave Shirley
goyet stunt classic contest director
goyet stunt classic August 18th and 19th
woodland Ca.

see we IC guys lurk around here sometimes.
remember guys this is just toy airplane stuff
Dave

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 05:06:44 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am the person who diverted this thread from a story on fun electric planes
to more serious rules type stuff.  I therefore, felt responsible to find out and pass along accurate information on this topic. I went to the rule book and I conferred with Keith Trostle and this is what I found out.

1/2  A stunt , Profile / P-40 stunt are "Unofficial Events". Which means that no contest board has set any national standards for these event which would be laid out in Supplemental rules.

Unofficial Events must meet the safety requirements of Official Events to be allowed at AMA meets but that is all that is mentioned.

The key point we all need to understand is that:
It is the sponsoring club and the CD who responsible and is the ultimate authority on setting the rules for an Unofficial Event. What is expected and required is if there are rules deviations in an Official Event or if the is a change in the rules of an Unofficial Event from prior practice then those deviations or changes must be publicly announced and advertised in advance.

So if a club chooses to drop a p-40 event and go with a "no engine limit Profile event " then that club and CD are free to do so as long as they advertise those changes.

So, If a club and a CD wish to include electric planes in profile and 1/2 stunt events then those clubs and CDs are free to include them as long as they advertise those rules changes in advance.

Clubs and CDs are also free not to include electrics because they are the authority over the Unofficial Events they put on.

The question each club and CD must answer do they want to create events that are more inclusive or is it in the best interest of the club to be more excluding. My club has no engine limits Profile and I have seen everything fro 19 to 60 powered planes and Profile event always has the biggest number of entries at every contest. Each club must make their own decisions.

I can understand a CDs desire for some way to define "electric size" for motors to help keep things orderly and perhaps a tech whiz like Dean Pappas
will chime in and provide the guidance that's needed or at least get in the ball park which might provide the understanding to simplify the CD's job.

Keith Trostle, had this to say:
"I think a simple explanation is that the current AMA 2007 rulebook provides for all conceivable sizes of electric powered CLPA models. There definitely does NOT need to be a separate event for these models.  Our AMA rules are structured to be similar to the FAI rules which combine electrics and IC engines in the same rules."

I tend to look at 1/2 A stunt and profile stunt as mostly low key FUN events and I have pointed out that they are Unofficial Events and it is the sponsoring club and the CD that set the rules for their unofficial events which must be advertised in advanced. 

Perhaps, some clubs may want to experiment with adding electric planes and see how it works out. The power to choose resides at the local level rather than coming down from some national authority.

That's what I found out , till next time ,
                                                            Pat Roninson

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here