News:

• May 03, 2024, 11:28:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2 A motor dilemma on Baby Lightning Streak  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
1/2 A motor dilemma on Baby Lightning Streak
« on: April 21, 2014, 07:30:17 PM »
 I have an electric motor kit that worked on the bench test and put it on the plane today and first it ran backwards then would just go into constant beeps. I checked all connections, checked that Lipos were fully charged but having no luck so far. Scratching my head on this)))))))
Got a call out to the vendor but just checking to see if there are any solutions anyone may know of.
This electric stuff is still new to me and I am a wee befuddled.
Thankee

Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
Re: 1/2 A motor dilemma on Baby Lightning Streak
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 08:26:12 PM »
I think I remember having this happen once also. Check the lead from the ESC to the timer. Make sure its on the correct pins on the timer(brown wire to the pin by the letter G and orange lead on the left outermost pin,Hubin timer).
Bob

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 09:33:50 PM »
I think I remember having this happen once also. Check the lead from the ESC to the timer. Make sure its on the correct pins on the timer(brown wire to the pin by the letter G and orange lead on the left outermost pin,Hubin timer).
Bob

I double checked and it is the brown by the G but still doing the continuous beep.........thanks for chiming in. I appreciate it.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:37:33 PM »
It sounds like two different problems: the motor running backwards because the ESC to motor wiring got mixed up, and the beeps because the ESC to timer wiring got mixed up, or something broke.  Did you maybe unplug things in a hurry when you got the reverse running?  Could you have plugged them back in wrong?

To fix the motor-backwards issue, you need to reverse any two wires from motor to ESC.

To fix the always-beeping, you need to carefully check that the ESC is plugged in correctly, and that no wires are broken.  If you have any RC gear, you can connect the ESC up to the throttle channel of a receiver and see if it responds correctly to the throttle stick on the transmitter -- if it does, then you know the problem is with the ESC, if it doesn't then things are still up in the air, but point more toward the ESC end than the timer end.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 12:11:43 AM »
It sounds like two different problems: the motor running backwards because the ESC to motor wiring got mixed up, and the beeps because the ESC to timer wiring got mixed up, or something broke.  Did you maybe unplug things in a hurry when you got the reverse running?  Could you have plugged them back in wrong?

To fix the motor-backwards issue, you need to reverse any two wires from motor to ESC.

To fix the always-beeping, you need to carefully check that the ESC is plugged in correctly, and that no wires are broken.  If you have any RC gear, you can connect the ESC up to the throttle channel of a receiver and see if it responds correctly to the throttle stick on the transmitter -- if it does, then you know the problem is with the ESC, if it doesn't then things are still up in the air, but point more toward the ESC end than the timer end.

Taking your advice and I hooked the ESC to my RC stuff and it worked. So.......did I somehow mess it up so that it will not work with the timer and control line (non-throttle) settings? Wheeze.....this  new electro stuff is giving me hives)))) :o
Thank you so much for your help.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 12:19:15 AM »
If the ESC works with your RC stuff, then the ESC is not the problem.

Either the timer is somehow messed up, or you're somehow not connecting it correctly.

I'd hook the timer up carefully per the directions, step-by-step (probably after taking the prop off the moto to insure I don't accidentally slit my wrists), and see if it works.  If not, then I'd call or email the seller or the manufacturer (is it a Hubin timer or KR or what?).

The 3-wire servo/ESC/etc connection that's common these days can be connected in reverse and not break the electronics.  So the first thing I'd check is that I don't have it backwards -- but contacting someone who knows that particular bit of electronics first is probably a good idea.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 04:25:41 AM »
Which timer do you have?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 06:03:26 AM »
Does the motor work with your RC stuff? I've seen "factory" soldered bullets fail more than once. I always re-solder any factory connections. I have a Brodak half A setup, possibly the same as yours,(I do use an fm-9 timer as I want to stat consistent with my larger planes.) that did the same thing when I bench tested it. I re soldered everything and it then worked perfectly.
AMA 98010

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 06:06:02 AM »
If the ESC works with your RC stuff, then the ESC is not the problem.

Either the timer is somehow messed up, or you're somehow not connecting it correctly.

I'd hook the timer up carefully per the directions, step-by-step (probably after taking the prop off the moto to insure I don't accidentally slit my wrists), and see if it works.  If not, then I'd call or email the seller or the manufacturer (is it a Hubin timer or KR or what?).

The 3-wire servo/ESC/etc connection that's common these days can be connected in reverse and not break the electronics.  So the first thing I'd check is that I don't have it backwards -- but contacting someone who knows that particular bit of electronics first is probably a good idea.
I read through them and it is possible that I plugged just 2 of the connectors in instead of all 3 at some point. Only thing that makes sense.
Went ahead and ordered a new timer.
Thank you.

Which timer do you have?
It is a a Huben timer that I got in a complete electro kit for 1/2 A.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 06:08:12 AM »
Does the motor work with your RC stuff? I've seen "factory" soldered bullets fail more than once. I always re-solder any factory connections. I have a Brodak half A setup, possibly the same as yours,(I do use an fm-9 timer as I want to stat consistent with my larger planes.) that did the same thing when I bench tested it. I re soldered everything and it then worked perfectly.
Thanks....I will check on that but the motor did work when I hooked it to my RC transmitter along with the ESC. With all the help here things are pointing towards the timer.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 07:08:58 AM »
I have had problems when testing an esc with a RC transmitter and then going back to the timer. An esc out of the box will normally look for a 1ms start pulse. The RC unit might set the esc lower or not as low as the timer if you range set the esc with the RC tx , you may be out off range for the timer.

I have not used that particular timer, but what happens is the esc does not always recognize the low throttle rate set by a RC tx  . I check the output rates using a GWS meter and if the RC tx is at fault I use the meter to range set the esc to match the timer.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 07:19:08 AM »
One more thing.  It sounds like it worked on the bench, including with the timer.  I had an install fail when bullet connectors touched with barely visible brass showing. Are ure motor bullet connections tight to each other?  If they are tight to each other, try opening them up, if that solves problem then either tape or shrink tube over the bullets.

If signs point to Timer then get a replacement.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 07:31:14 AM »
What the RC guys call a servo tester is a handy tool for electric.  It plugs into the speed controller in place of the timer.  As mentioned in the previous post it can be used to test and or setup the speed controller.  They are cheep on eBay.  Search on servo tester in the hobby section. Fancy ones cost $30 +, simple ones $5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3CH-ECS-RC-CCPM-Servo-Consistency-Master-Servo-Tester-Speed-Controller-FKG-/371047954051?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56642e7683
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 03:34:12 PM »
There is no such thing as an electric 1/2A, only a small electric motor.  A 1/2A is a piston engine with less than .05 cubic inches of swept volume.

That being said, maybe your motor is just trying to be a Babe Bee and mess with you by running backwards.  Maybe you should just stop it and restart it or buy a pusher prop.
Paul Smith

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 04:06:08 PM »
I have had problems when testing an esc with a RC transmitter and then going back to the timer. An esc out of the box will normally look for a 1ms start pulse. The RC unit might set the esc lower or not as low as the timer if you range set the esc with the RC tx , you may be out off range for the timer.

I have not used that particular timer, but what happens is the esc does not always recognize the low throttle rate set by a RC tx  . I check the output rates using a GWS meter and if the RC tx is at fault I use the meter to range set the esc to match the timer.

I think I understand some of your jargon..... ~> I just went ahead and ordered a new timer from Brodak as I think I somehow killed it in my learning curve. I thankee.

One more thing.  It sounds like it worked on the bench, including with the timer.  I had an install fail when bullet connectors touched with barely visible brass showing. Are ure motor bullet connections tight to each other?  If they are tight to each other, try opening them up, if that solves problem then either tape or shrink tube over the bullets.

If signs point to Timer then get a replacement.
Checked them out....all good there. I went ahead and ordered another timer from the Brodak company. Gotta get this plane circling me)))))
Thanks for helping out.

What the RC guys call a servo tester is a handy tool for electric.  It plugs into the speed controller in place of the timer.  As mentioned in the previous post it can be used to test and or setup the speed controller.  They are cheep on eBay.  Search on servo tester in the hobby section. Fancy ones cost $30 +, simple ones $5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3CH-ECS-RC-CCPM-Servo-Consistency-Master-Servo-Tester-Speed-Controller-FKG-/371047954051?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56642e7683
Oh.....I'll be getting one of those on my next Amazon order. They are inexpensive. Many thanks.

There is no such thing as an electric 1/2A, only a small electric motor.  A 1/2A is a piston engine with less than .05 cubic inches of swept volume.

That being said, maybe your motor is just trying to be a Babe Bee and mess with you by running backwards.  Maybe you should just stop it and restart it or buy a pusher prop.
Runs all good on the RC gear. Oh...it will be a dedicated 1/2 A motor once it pulls this 1/2 A plane around. At least in my weary mind.
Appreciate it.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 08:53:55 PM »
Thanks to Patti at Brodak for sending me a new timer......all is working fine now. Also found out that I messed up my 7.4v lipo battery packs to in this learning curve. Seems one cell is dead in each pack.  
Live and learn...that is what this is all about. Hooked it up to a larger battery and the motor and timer worked powerfully.  #^
I'll get a couple new lipos and be in the air soon grinnin' like a stooge.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here