News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:32:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2 A Electric--first try  (Read 10819 times)

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: 1/2 A Electric--first try
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2008, 10:33:53 AM »
Dean,

Man, you can say that again.  Where is the warm weather?  We got 1.5" of ice last night in Muncie.

I can't wait to test some more when it gets warmer.  I have a new airframe in the works that will take up to a 28-26 motor size.  I want to play until I can prove out what the system needs to be for stunt.  One thing that Helli guys have over us though is the collective pitch.  There might be a need for us to further refine our systems to incorporate a hollow shaft and variable pitched prop to aid the governor in controlling airspeed.  (That's all we need is more complexity right??)   LL~ LL~ The idea of the multi-pitch prop to be to try to simplify the process of governing without a tremendous use of power and increase in airspeed.  I will be carving some props up and testing this.  The proof is in the pudding!!

Can't wait to share more.  By the end here we'll all be genius' right?? LL~ LL~
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2008, 10:35:24 AM »
Igor,

Where can I get one of those!!! :o :o  Are they available??  Very nice piece!!

Archie Adamisin

Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2008, 10:37:17 AM »
Alan,

Hope you had a great trip.  I agree with you not using the governor in a 1/2a stunter.  In that small an airframe, you need all the speed you can get.  That was the purpose of the cheaper alternatives to solving the 6" prop problem.

Hope to hear more soon!!

Archie Adamisin

Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2008, 10:47:38 AM »
Tose props are not available yet, but WILL be ... it did not fly yet .. yes, the weather is the reason .. we got litle bit snow again today  HB~>

Alan Hahn

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2008, 01:23:41 PM »
At some point I was hoping that APC would come out with some 3 bladed props. I too have my E-Nobler setup to try the APC12-6---I just put on larger wheels to get the prop clearance (I was previously running an 11-5.5 prop), but I think I am at my aesthetic clearance point---anymore and the whole thing begins to look a little ridiculous! So that's why I'd like to see a 3 bladed prop. I have watts to burn (at least for short bursts!)
Also I might say, getting back to the 1/2 A stuff, Jim R. didn't say anything about 3 or 4 bladed props for his 1/2A contest! VD~

Alan Hahn

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2008, 01:53:43 PM »
Archie,
I hate to admit it, but I could run a governor on the 1/2 A. The CC Phoenix 10 ESC which I originally bought for a SIG "E Force" RC 3D plane does have one, but I wanted to keep it simple---with an eye to how to do a "simple" 1/2 A Electric plane.

Offline Arch Adamisin

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2008, 04:11:48 PM »
Igor,
I like the looks of that prop. Are they available or is it home made?

Arch

Alan Hahn

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2008, 06:50:03 PM »
Finally got everything stuck on the Baby Clown. All up flying weight (battery slightly depleted! <=) is 6.9 oz. Battery is a Thunderpower Lite 2s730mAHr, CC Thunderbird ESC (no governor!), and JMP-2 timer. I went with my most powerful motor (not the one you see mounted on the plane in the old photos, but the one with a mount in the other photo-top center

I setup the timer for a 2 minute total flight time. That means it comes down at about 2m 30s after I push the start button (20s motor start delay). Static current draws with an APC 6-4E prop are in the 5-6A range.

I may have the initial power levels (set on the JMP-2) set a little low, but thought I'd be a little safer than sorry just to make sure I am not overdrawing the battery. With a test run just completed, I do note the plane was able to pull its own weight vertically, so static thrust is >7oz ! I will see how it flys at the next opportunity. I do note that there appears to be enough room on the prop shaft to mount 2 props at 90 degrees from each other!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2008, 07:27:05 PM »
Just recharged the battery--only 0.21 AHr (out of 0.73 total), and that was static! Should be plenty more if I need to juice it up.

By the way, Jim R.'s contest is the beginner pattern for everyone. I just calculated (roughly) that that works out to about 22 laps. At 4s a lap (1/2A moves fast) that would be 88s for the pattern. That's why I think 2 minutes of actual flying time is ok. I plan to use 35 foot 0.008's to start.

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2008, 08:35:11 PM »
Wow, it's awful risky to run a 9 x 5 on a Tower-pro 2408-21T with 3 cells.  Try a 6 x 3 or a 6 x 4 on 3 1000's and you will get a bunch of RPM similar to what I got on the Hextronic 2080 Kv inrunner.  This Tower pro motor I use in our clubs WW2 R/C foamy combat with (2) cells and 9 x 7 props.  It is a stout little motor!!

Archie Adamisin

Archie, your right but that's what they had on the "data" sheet for the motor. I have since gone down to an 8X4 and that seems much better. I get 8500 RPM at 10 amps. The specs say it should take 13 amps but I don't believe it. It gets very warm at that current level. I was going to try 2 cells but when I hooked it all up the ESC kept cutting off the power right after it started spinning the prop. When I checked the small, one page instruction sheet that came with the ESC it said cut off voltage was 8.4 volts. I then checked the website and the ESC that comes in the package deal is for 3 cells only. What can you expect for $15 for motor, ESC and a prop???? I'll have to try one of my Castle ESC to use the 2 cell pack.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2008, 05:28:32 AM »
You can program the Tower pro controller for (2) cells.  I use this controller in my WW2 combat foamies with (2) cells and the 2408-21T motor.  I have attached the word document to explain the programming sequence.  I thought the same when I got mine.  I have (4) that work great!!

Some guys are using that motor on (3) cells with an 8 x 4 with no problem.  10 amps with proper cooling is no problem.  Do you have the heat sink beam mount?  This helps out a bunch.

I have experimented with using (2) 5.5 x 4.5 APC props 90 degrees apart and it only draws 11 amps on (3) cells @ over 13,000.  The thrust from this combo is impressive.  I use it for our no mercy combat planes.  It goes vertical @ 12 ozs.

Measured Kv for the (4) I have average 1725 rpm/v.  On (2) cells, I have run up to a 10 x 4.7 GWS with no problem.  Current is a bit high, but I rarely run it @ full throttle.  The open bell concept for that motor cools very well.  After 5 minutes of combat, the motor is barely warm on the 9 x 7 @ (2) cells.  I have had much the same results with the APC (4) blade combo on (3) cells.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Alan Hahn

Re: 1/2 A Electric--Ready to go (Please warm up!)
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2008, 09:10:54 AM »
Here she is, ready to go!

As you can see, I added something  ~^! Actually I probably should scale back to 6-4 props from these 6-5.5 props. The two 6-5.5 were pulling 13A statically, a lot more than I want ( I wouldn't mind ~8-9A static I think). Also could turn down the throttle a little. But I think this thing is actually going to work!

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2008, 09:20:05 AM »
Archie,
I love the variable pitch idea! A lot #^

Hi Igor,
You've probably heard me say that I like to run two bladers in order to get more prop efficiency, but ...
Sometime more diameter hurts the turn, and in the quest for more blade area, a 3 - blader makes sense.
The prop you show us sure looks right: lots of blade area, and light I'll bet. I'll bet they work well. Have you flown them yet?

Dean
Dean Pappas

Alan Hahn

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2008, 09:27:34 AM »
Here's a blow up of the business end---I noticed you really couldn't see much after I downsized the original photo.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2008, 09:28:28 AM »
Not yet, today was sun, warm, calm ... I am 100% sure weekend is bad  n~

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2008, 11:39:52 AM »
Archie,

"You can program the Tower pro controller for (2) cells."
I didn't know that.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out. I have a couple of these ESC's so I can have one at 3 cells and one at 2 cells.

I just modified a small combat type plane to give it better flying characteristics (I hope). I should be able to test it out this weekend.

Thanks again.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2008, 05:26:40 PM »
Hi Igor,
It looks beautiful! I'll bet it's light too. Bob and I have discussed making wood/foam core carbon props, but for now, the APC-E series do nicely.

The reasons to run a 3-blader are somewhat different with E-power as compared to wet.
In my not at all bashful opinion VD~ the only time to sacrifice the better efficiency of a two-blader is when too much diameter interferes with the airplane's turn. Lightness will help reduce that problem.

Of course, all talk is just hot air, and what works for you, right now, is better than anything you don't have!

later Friends,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2008, 11:26:01 PM »
so some weights:

APC 12x6 23.2g
APC 11x5.5 20.4g
my 3blader 25g

VD~

Offline 11290

• Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2008, 01:02:27 AM »
Of course it does not allow the brake to work in governor mode ... some excuse about breaking heli main shafts if the brake ever engages. By the way, I don't buy that logic, because autorotations would still require an overrunning clutch. Maybe the small cheap helis don't have auto-clutches. I'll go check that.

In electric heli's the governor mode is used in "idle-up" mode in which would NEVER want or need a brake.  "V-Curve" pitch and throttle settings for 3-d stunt work, low stick for maximum negative pitch (inverted flight), center stick posistion for zero degrees pitch and high stick position for maximum positive pitch (upright flight).  No need for a brake in the "normal" flight mode either as low-stick position is "motor off" and the blades will spin down by themselves with no need to do an instant stop.  Anything above low-stick position and the heli is in the air.  Sure wouldn't want a brake then.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 01:50:40 AM by 11290 »
Evansville, IN & Orlando, FL

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2008, 08:04:02 AM »
Hello 11290
Thanks, that makes sense.
We like names around here ... what's yours?
thanks again and best regards,
Dean Pappas
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here