News:

• May 02, 2024, 12:09:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Too slow for proper governing?"  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
"Too slow for proper governing?"
« on: February 06, 2013, 04:08:21 AM »
Hi all,
Here's a question for you.......
I'm using a CC Ice 50, 930 k/v motor (10 pole) and 4s battery. (I'm using Set RPM)
The prop is the 13x4.5 thin pusher running at 9550 RPM doing 5.4 secs/lap. All good! (77% on the ESC)
I would like to try the JXF 13x6.5 thin 2-blade carbon pusher that just arrived from HobbyKing.
However, I had to set the RPM at 8700RPM and the ESC said "Too slow for proper governing".
At this RPM the lap times were a bit fast for me at 5.1 secs/lap.
Looks like I'll have to drop the revs to 8400 to get near 5.4 /lap.
This will put the ESC down to 67.8% where it says it's too slow.
Now I realise that when the ESC gets to 69.9% and it says it's too slow for proper governing that it will still work ok as it just doesn't stop working when it hits less than 70%.

My question is, how low can we go percentage wise on the ESC before it stops governing in control line mode?
Bandolero

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: "Too slow for proper governing?"
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 05:23:06 AM »
Hi all,
Here's a question for you.......
I'm using a CC Ice 50, 930 k/v motor (10 pole) and 4s battery. (I'm using Set RPM)
The prop is the 13x4.5 thin pusher running at 9550 RPM doing 5.4 secs/lap. All good! (77% on the ESC)
I would like to try the JXF 13x6.5 thin 2-blade carbon pusher that just arrived from HobbyKing.
However, I had to set the RPM at 8700RPM and the ESC said "Too slow for proper governing".
At this RPM the lap times were a bit fast for me at 5.1 secs/lap.
Looks like I'll have to drop the revs to 8400 to get near 5.4 /lap.
This will put the ESC down to 67.8% where it says it's too slow.
Now I realise that when the ESC gets to 69.9% and it says it's too slow for proper governing that it will still work ok as it just doesn't stop working when it hits less than 70%.

My question is, how low can we go percentage wise on the ESC before it stops governing in control line mode?

I have birds running as low as 60% (in Set RPM) that seem to work OK - I think your target RPM at 67.8% should be good.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »
Excellent, thanks very much.  ;D
Bandolero

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 07:45:14 PM »
Hi Russell,
The lower you go, until the ESC refuses to govern any longer, the tighter and faster the RPM control loop can run.
I have always been an advocate of running with more "voltage overhead" for better control when maneuvers place a large transient load on the prop/motor combo.
The downside is additional ESC heating, but this is easy to check: if the ESC ain't too hot then all is well.

Regards,
  Dean Pappas
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here