News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:41:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saigon 30 - Best Prop’ ?  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Robin_Holden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Saigon 30 - Best Prop’ ?
« on: November 14, 2021, 11:22:06 AM »
Evening all from Spofforth village in North Yorkshire.

I’ve had a Saito 30 hanging around for ages.
I’ve also got an RD1  ‘plane which would seem to be ideal .

What prop’ would you think best for this combination ?
Any thoughts on how much oil I should use in the fuel ?
My normal 2-stroke mix has 16% synthetic - 4% castor - 5% nitro.

Any contributions would be much appreciated,

Robin.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Saigon 30 - Best Prop’ ?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 02:25:29 PM »
Robin,
If you look on the thread "Saito 30 Black Knight" Bob Z indicates that 9x6 - 10x6 work fine with the Saito 30. I have used a thin blade 10x6 on my OS 20 with good performance. Your fuel seems OK.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 05:42:20 AM »
I also think 10-6 would be a good starting point, and fuel seems ok although total oil percentage is a little low, id like 20-22% synthetic.
You may want to temporarily install the engine with masking tape or rubber bands and check the CG location. Four strokes are heavy, and you may need to move the engine back to arrive at the desired 17% or so.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 08:53:20 AM »
The Saito 30 is a very forgiving and flexible engine.
I have around ten of them and I have flown them in quite a few different aircraft, including but not limited to Flite Streaks, a Sterling Mustang, the prototype Brodak Cardinal profile, a Nobler, and my favorite, my own design Little Cherokee.
The engines have run well on a variety of fuels: Powermaster 20/20 all synthetic, Brodak castor/synthetic (both 10 and 15% nitro) and Powermaster 10/22, 50/50.
Regarding propellers, I did a lot of experimenting with different diameters and pitches and the ones that the engines seemed happiest with were the Master Airscrew 9-6 plastic and the old Top Flite 10-6 wood. I even ran an old Top Flite 9-8 wood on the Sterling Mustang but the little .30 wasn’t too happy!
In any case, try and find what combination of airframe/prop/fuel works best for you.
For what it’s worth, I would not go below a 6 pitch.

I hope this helps.

AND, for what it’s worth, no matter what anyone tells you, ONE TEST IS WORTH A THOUSAND EXPERT OPINIONS.

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here