Engine basics > Four strokes only

WHICH 3 BLADE FOR A SAITO .72?

(1/2) > >>

Claudio Chacon:
Hello my dear FOUR BANGERS!  H^^

I'm currently flying my Saito 72 powered ship with a two blade 14"x 5.5" wood prop...everything runs perfectly well...
BUT!!! : in order to reduce the G.P. I am considering to try a 3 blade (wood or carbon...anything that I can get my hands on...)

What DIAMETER would be your first choice for a 3 blade prop for the Saito .72?

The ONLY 3 blade prop that I have right now is a Brian Eather CF 12,5" x 4" (that I can repitch to 5 or 5,5...) what do you think???

Thanks!
Claudio.

Robert Zambelli:
Claudio: The SAITO 72 will handle a large variety of props.
Most people, including me, run two-blade props on 4-cycle engines but I have witnessed success with three blades.
Since you have a Brian Eather 12.5, I would try that but re-pitch it to at least 5.5, maybe a bit more if you can.
Since most of my 4-S flying is done with 56 and smaller engines, I haven't used a SAITO 72 in over 15 years, so there may be more modern props available.
Master Airscrew makes a 13-6 that might suit your needs and I'm told that they can be re-pitched if necessary. Not very expensive either.
In any case, experiment a bit and find the right match for your engine/plane setup.
I hope this helps.
Bob Z.

Claudio Chacon:

--- Quote from: Robert Zambelli on May 17, 2022, 05:43:28 AM ---Claudio: The SAITO 72 will handle a large variety of props.
Most people, including me, run two-blade props on 4-cycle engines but I have witnessed success with three blades.
Since you have a Brian Eather 12.5, I would try that but re-pitch it to at least 5.5, maybe a bit more if you can.
Since most of my 4-S flying is done with 56 and smaller engines, I haven't used a SAITO 72 in over 15 years, so there may be more modern props available.
Master Airscrew makes a 13-6 that might suit your needs and I'm told that they can be re-pitched if necessary. Not very expensive either.
In any case, experiment a bit and find the right match for your engine/plane setup.
I hope this helps.
Bob Z.

--- End quote ---

Hi Bob!
Yes! Your reply helped a lot...for sure!

Okay: before I buy a new 3 blade prop, I will begin with what I have at hand...that is, my Brian Eather 3b CF 12,5"x4"...REPITCHED.
Now, I need some advice on this repitching job:

1) Should I begin twisting close to the hub or the tip?
2) Any other considerations?

Thank you very much!
Later,
Claudio.

Robert Zambelli:
Hi, again.
Sorry, but I cannot help you on the re-pitching process.
I've heard of many people doing it but I have never tried it myself.
Try posting in the regular engines section and I'm sure you'll get some expert advice.

Bob Z.

Claudio Chacon:

--- Quote from: Robert Zambelli on May 17, 2022, 10:10:50 AM ---Hi, again.
Sorry, but I cannot help you on the re-pitching process.
I've heard of many people doing it but I have never tried it myself.
Try posting in the regular engines section and I'm sure you'll get some expert advice.

Bob Z.

--- End quote ---

Ok Bob..
Many thanks!

Claudio.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version