News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:03:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WHICH 3 BLADE FOR A SAITO .72?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
WHICH 3 BLADE FOR A SAITO .72?
« on: May 14, 2022, 07:51:01 AM »
Hello my dear FOUR BANGERS!  H^^

I'm currently flying my Saito 72 powered ship with a two blade 14"x 5.5" wood prop...everything runs perfectly well...
BUT!!! : in order to reduce the G.P. I am considering to try a 3 blade (wood or carbon...anything that I can get my hands on...)

What DIAMETER would be your first choice for a 3 blade prop for the Saito .72?

The ONLY 3 blade prop that I have right now is a Brian Eather CF 12,5" x 4" (that I can repitch to 5 or 5,5...) what do you think???

Thanks!
Claudio.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: WHICH 3 BLADE FOR A SAITO .72?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 05:43:28 AM »
Claudio: The SAITO 72 will handle a large variety of props.
Most people, including me, run two-blade props on 4-cycle engines but I have witnessed success with three blades.
Since you have a Brian Eather 12.5, I would try that but re-pitch it to at least 5.5, maybe a bit more if you can.
Since most of my 4-S flying is done with 56 and smaller engines, I haven't used a SAITO 72 in over 15 years, so there may be more modern props available.
Master Airscrew makes a 13-6 that might suit your needs and I'm told that they can be re-pitched if necessary. Not very expensive either.
In any case, experiment a bit and find the right match for your engine/plane setup.
I hope this helps.
Bob Z.

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 06:44:32 AM »
Claudio: The SAITO 72 will handle a large variety of props.
Most people, including me, run two-blade props on 4-cycle engines but I have witnessed success with three blades.
Since you have a Brian Eather 12.5, I would try that but re-pitch it to at least 5.5, maybe a bit more if you can.
Since most of my 4-S flying is done with 56 and smaller engines, I haven't used a SAITO 72 in over 15 years, so there may be more modern props available.
Master Airscrew makes a 13-6 that might suit your needs and I'm told that they can be re-pitched if necessary. Not very expensive either.
In any case, experiment a bit and find the right match for your engine/plane setup.
I hope this helps.
Bob Z.

Hi Bob!
Yes! Your reply helped a lot...for sure!

Okay: before I buy a new 3 blade prop, I will begin with what I have at hand...that is, my Brian Eather 3b CF 12,5"x4"...REPITCHED.
Now, I need some advice on this repitching job:

1) Should I begin twisting close to the hub or the tip?
2) Any other considerations?

Thank you very much!
Later,
Claudio.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 10:10:50 AM »
Hi, again.
Sorry, but I cannot help you on the re-pitching process.
I've heard of many people doing it but I have never tried it myself.
Try posting in the regular engines section and I'm sure you'll get some expert advice.

Bob Z.

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 11:43:57 AM »
Hi, again.
Sorry, but I cannot help you on the re-pitching process.
I've heard of many people doing it but I have never tried it myself.
Try posting in the regular engines section and I'm sure you'll get some expert advice.

Bob Z.

Ok Bob..
Many thanks!

Claudio.

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 07:39:59 AM »
Claudio,
I've repitched many CF, APC and wood props using a heat gun. The first thing is to either get a prather pitch gauge or make a Windy wood one (basically you get a section of motor mount drill a 1/4 hole and put a pin/bolt in then at the end, which is at the 70% blade length point, attach a piece of plywood at the angle of the pitch you want). I use the prather, I pitch at the 70% point and clamp the gauge so I get an accurate pitch for all blades.

The process is straightforward: heat the hub area (keep the heat gun about 2" away) by rotating the prop from front to back, takes about 30 - 60 sec as you let the heat soak in (you should have on a thin glove as the prop gets hot) then holding the hub and pitch slider, grab the blade at the 70% point that  twist in the direction you want the pitch to go. This takes a touch that you will get a feel for once you try it, but it does require a fairly good twist. Hold for 20 ish sec then check the pitch, repeat as need to get the pitch you want. This works on wood props also, just need to heat a little longer to let it soak into the wood center, can change pitch up to 1 - 2".

Best,     DennisT

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 11:38:52 AM »
Claudio,
I've repitched many CF, APC and wood props using a heat gun. The first thing is to either get a prather pitch gauge or make a Windy wood one (basically you get a section of motor mount drill a 1/4 hole and put a pin/bolt in then at the end, which is at the 70% blade length point, attach a piece of plywood at the angle of the pitch you want). I use the prather, I pitch at the 70% point and clamp the gauge so I get an accurate pitch for all blades.

The process is straightforward: heat the hub area (keep the heat gun about 2" away) by rotating the prop from front to back, takes about 30 - 60 sec as you let the heat soak in (you should have on a thin glove as the prop gets hot) then holding the hub and pitch slider, grab the blade at the 70% point that  twist in the direction you want the pitch to go. This takes a touch that you will get a feel for once you try it, but it does require a fairly good twist. Hold for 20 ish sec then check the pitch, repeat as need to get the pitch you want. This works on wood props also, just need to heat a little longer to let it soak into the wood center, can change pitch up to 1 - 2".

Best,     DennisT

Hi Dennis!

Thank you so much for your very detailed explanation...!  H^^

Kindest regards,
Claudio.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here