Engine basics > Four strokes only

WHICH 3 BLADE FOR A SAITO .72?

<< < (2/2)

Dennis Toth:
Claudio,
I've repitched many CF, APC and wood props using a heat gun. The first thing is to either get a prather pitch gauge or make a Windy wood one (basically you get a section of motor mount drill a 1/4 hole and put a pin/bolt in then at the end, which is at the 70% blade length point, attach a piece of plywood at the angle of the pitch you want). I use the prather, I pitch at the 70% point and clamp the gauge so I get an accurate pitch for all blades.

The process is straightforward: heat the hub area (keep the heat gun about 2" away) by rotating the prop from front to back, takes about 30 - 60 sec as you let the heat soak in (you should have on a thin glove as the prop gets hot) then holding the hub and pitch slider, grab the blade at the 70% point that  twist in the direction you want the pitch to go. This takes a touch that you will get a feel for once you try it, but it does require a fairly good twist. Hold for 20 ish sec then check the pitch, repeat as need to get the pitch you want. This works on wood props also, just need to heat a little longer to let it soak into the wood center, can change pitch up to 1 - 2".

Best,     DennisT

Claudio Chacon:

--- Quote from: Dennis Toth on December 20, 2022, 07:39:59 AM ---Claudio,
I've repitched many CF, APC and wood props using a heat gun. The first thing is to either get a prather pitch gauge or make a Windy wood one (basically you get a section of motor mount drill a 1/4 hole and put a pin/bolt in then at the end, which is at the 70% blade length point, attach a piece of plywood at the angle of the pitch you want). I use the prather, I pitch at the 70% point and clamp the gauge so I get an accurate pitch for all blades.

The process is straightforward: heat the hub area (keep the heat gun about 2" away) by rotating the prop from front to back, takes about 30 - 60 sec as you let the heat soak in (you should have on a thin glove as the prop gets hot) then holding the hub and pitch slider, grab the blade at the 70% point that  twist in the direction you want the pitch to go. This takes a touch that you will get a feel for once you try it, but it does require a fairly good twist. Hold for 20 ish sec then check the pitch, repeat as need to get the pitch you want. This works on wood props also, just need to heat a little longer to let it soak into the wood center, can change pitch up to 1 - 2".

Best,     DennisT

--- End quote ---

Hi Dennis!

Thank you so much for your very detailed explanation...!  H^^

Kindest regards,
Claudio.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version