News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:34:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sanity check on a plane for older Saito .40  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Sanity check on a plane for older Saito .40
« on: February 12, 2017, 01:00:02 AM »
As I posted earlier, I got a gimme Saito 40.  NOT a 40A.  Being bigger and heavier than a 40A, I'm resigned to building a model of a radial engined plane.  The first and foremost plane that comes to mind is a Curtis P-36 Mohawk.  GeeBees do nothing for me, nor does something like a P-26.  Stagger wings also leave me cold.  Maybe a Hellcat or Bearcat.  I already have a couple of ME-109s and FW-190s in smaller scale so those are out.  I definitely want a profile plane.  Any other suggestions?

With the Brodak ARC less than $20 more than a bare kit, I was thinking about being lazy and ordering the ARC and modifying the nose to the P-36 profile.  At 560 sq.in., do Y'all think the older Saito 40 will haul it around?

Mark

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sanity check on a plane for older Saito .40
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 08:51:10 AM »
Mark - I can't remember if I posted any SAITO 40 info before but here's my experience.

I flew the prototype Brodak Cardinal ARF for around 200 flights with the SAITO.
It is a very smooth and consistent running engine, much more so than the Surpass 40  (my all-time LEAST favorite 4S engine!)
I tried quite a few props and got a really interesting surprise. It turned every prop at around the same RPM. 10-6 Top-Flite through 11-8 Master Airscrew.
The best prop turned out to be a plastic Master Airscrew 11-8.
The fuel that worked best was Powermaster 20 (nitro)-20 (synthetic oil) with around two ounces of castor per gallon.
The best tanks turned out to be a two ounce non-uniflow metal tank and a two ounce plastic clunk tank.
A very quiet engine with no muffler.

Bob Z.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 09:13:50 AM »
Just build a regular plane, but finish with Rustoleum and worry more about getting the finish nice and even instead of weight.  Then you'll need so much weight in the nose that you'll welcome an overweight engine.

Seriously, you're spoiled for choice.  If this is for stunt don't worry about radial engine or not, particularly if you're building a profile -- just whack off the nose as you think appropriate and proceed.

Boeing "Peashooter", Republic P-35, Monocoupe (if a Piper Cub can be competitive in stunt, why not?), Westland Lysander, F4F, F6F, Republic Thunderbolt -- and that's just what's coming off the top of my head.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 11:57:58 AM »
Start with  a Brodak P-40  ( pat Johnston design) and morph it into this,

http://www.aviastar.org/air/usa/curtiss_p-40q.php

I did this, it was great for 4 flights until the dandelion got tired of the noise and snagged my lines,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here