Engine basics > Four strokes only

Saito .30 headaches...

(1/5) > >>

wwwarbird:
 I copied the blurb below from my "PBY pics" post on the Main Forum here. The engines I'm talking about here are on my 64" span PBY Catalina. I'm open to any suggestions or info that may help in tracking down the running issue of these two Saito's...

Bill,

It shows really good promise so far, tracks real solid and straight as an arrow, and is very stable and neutral. It flies with just a hint of the outboard tip being down when upright, but looking at everything I'm certain that its' just because the leadouts need to be moved up about 1/4". I made the adjuster vertically adjustable as well as the normal front to rear, but I've maxed it out until I re-do the slider a bit.
 But here's the deal, I've only done big loops and wingovers so far because I'm still fighting with the Saito .30's. No matter what I try, I can't seem to get the power out of them that they should be producing. I'm running profile standard vent tanks w/muffler pressure and have run both 10 and 15% nitro fuel, no difference. I know the .30's aren't supposed to be big powerhouses, but these two just don't seem right. I've even sent them both in to Horizon for a check and the guy swears they'd hold 10,500 all day long on his bench with an APC 10X5. I can barely get them to even run up to 9500 with an APC 10x5 myself, one more click and they puke, even before or after I sent them in. With an APC 9X5, I've gotten them to hold about 10,000-10,200 and launched there and about 2-3 minutes into the flight they go south and then can barely drag the plane through the air in level laps. I broke both of them in separately on the stand, and then on an ARF Primary Force, and they've been a headache from the get go. They've got what should be plenty of time on them now.
 As a comparison, Keith Sandberg in our club has been flying his Twin Beech D-18 with two O.S..30's and the plane has plenty of power for the whole pattern, no problem at all. The thing is awsome. He's currently running Tornado 10x4 3-bladers, but started out with Zinger wood 10x5' and 4's. The O.S.'s turn any of them just fine. I've tried what seems like a hundred different props on the Saito's, all with pretty much all the same issue. The best luck I've had so far has been the APC 9X5's or currently, Evo 9x6 two bladers. But even with those the Saito's seem SUPER finicky to needle settings. Both the D-18 and the PBY are really close to the same dimensions everywhere except his is like 77-78 ounces and I'm at 80, really not enough that it should be that big of a difference between the two planes.
 If I could get equal performance out of the Saito's as Keith's getting from the O.S.'s, the PBY would be a frickin' hoot. Flying it you can just tell that it's right there, just needs a little more oomph. Buying two O.S..30's isn't going to happen either, I've got enough wrapped up in this project as it is.    

proparc:

--- Quote from: wwwarbird on September 27, 2009, 10:53:29 AM --- I copied the blurb below from my "PBY pics" post on the Main Forum here. The engines I'm talking about here are on my 64" span PBY Catalina. I'm open to any suggestions or info that may help in tracking down the running issue of these two Saito's...
 Bill,

I have flown Larry Rengers Saito 30 powered ship and it seemed to me to deliver plenty plenty power. In fact, it was about all I could handle, and that is compared to my Saito 72 in my ships!! It was dead reliable and and rock steady in all attitudes. You may want to hit him up on his setup.
--- End quote ---

wwwarbird:
 Yep, I've watched quite a few Saito's and all I've seen run great and are very reliable and user friendly, except these two .30's of mine.

Dan Labine:
What fuel are you using??

Dan

Willis Swindell:
Two Saito 30’s flew my Heinkel fine 660 sq. in. 15 % nitro 10x6 Top Flight prop 8800 to 8900 RPM. Don’t try to run them wide open they will loose power, first in maneuvers then in level flight.
Willis

Also try just suction

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version