News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:25:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito 30 C/L  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Saito 30 C/L
« on: June 17, 2019, 11:50:06 AM »
Many thanks to Bob Reeves for his design and inspiration to modify the carb to control line. It starts and runs beautifully! I've got a SIG Skyray kit waiting for the winter building season that this mill will be mounted on.

The insert is Delrin, and was made with hand tools and a drill press. About five hours of very careful work were involved. Not sure that I'd be successful, I did this work on a spare carb and manifold assembly and kept the original for re-conversion back to throttle control.

Dave Mo....

It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Saito 30 C/L
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 03:51:00 PM »
Should be fine, just do not ever let it start backwards.

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 01:42:27 PM »
Good tip, Bob! I lost patience trying to start this beauty by hand, so now use an electric starter for the time being.

Dave...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 02:32:32 AM »
Never understood the reluctance to use a starter, especially on a 4stroke. I understand old school = no starters but that was before this is now. If my competition can use a battery for fuel I can use a battery to start my engine :)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 02:24:34 PM »
On 4 strokes and 2 stroke glow starter works fine as long as you go easy (one maybe two choke flips) and make sure there is no hydraulic lock. I always flip through forward and back several time then set the prop away from compression and engage the starter, works fine. One thing I don't like to do is spin up the starter and jamming it on the spinner. This I feel is very bad practice as it hits the engine and airframe with an lot of load. If you have to much prime and get hydraulic lock you could bend a rod doing this. One type of engine that really don't want to use a starter with is diesel. They do much better with a good hand snappy flip.

Best,    DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here