Engine basics > Four strokes only

OS 40 Surpass assemble

(1/3) > >>

Dennis Toth:
Working to get my old OS 40 Surpass together. I had taken it partially apart a while back when I thought I needed to change the bearings. Well, turns out bearings were fine but I had pulled off the carb stack, backplate and pushrods. I loosened it up and laid out all the pieces and noticed there were no gaskets. So my question is - is there gaskets on this engine? The surfaces look machined but just though I ask to make sure.

Thanks,    DennisT

Robert Zambelli:
Dennis: I had two Surpass 40s and the only gaskets they had were cylinder and backplate.

Bob Z.

spare_parts:
Head gasket is the only one. If it's not loose when you pulled off the head, it's stuck in the head. Pushrods should have an oring on each end, but could be stuck in their respective bores.

Robert Zambelli:
My two Surpass 40s were very early in the production.
I was told by the supplier that the gasket was eliminated.
No matter - as a matter of course, I eliminate all paper/fiber gaskets in all my engines.

Bob Z.

Dennis Toth:
OK, started re-assemble. As I started to put parts together I got to the point of installing the push rods and this is where I had a problem. Since I never got it completely torn down (thank god) I only had the pushrods and tubes out. I got it loosened up and with a little heat and fuel it seemed pretty free but one pushrod wasn't seating or moving. I then went on YouTube and found a video on reassemble of an OS 40 Surpass. Watching this I found that there were cam lifters that the pushrod fits into. I figured that maybe one was still gummed up so got the heat gun going and a little fuel and finally it moved. That got the rocker arms back in the proper place and moving. So starting to do finally bolts and find that I seemed to have misplaced a few for the backplate and the intake manifold. Any one know the bolt size for the manifold and cam cap? Is a site with a full bolt set?

Best,    DennisT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version