News:

• March 29, 2024, 02:15:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How often do you change glow plugs in your FS?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How often do you change glow plugs in your FS?
« on: October 29, 2022, 07:01:35 PM »
Just curious, with the price of 4 stroke plugs going way up, how often do you change glow plugs in your 4 strokes? Does the N% impact plug life? Lastly do the 4 strokes give you an indication that the plug is going away by dropping rpm when you remove the starting battery like the 2 strokes?

Best,     DennisT

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
Re: How often do you change glow plugs in your FS?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 08:22:34 AM »
Hi Dennis,
NEVA!
I'm still using the same glow plug in my Saito 72 since the first day...12 years ago... hundreds of flights and counting.
OS "F".
10% Nitro.
20% all synthetic.

The original one that comes with the engine produces erratic runs...a useless item for me...that's why I switched to the OS "F".

Hope this helps...
Later,
Claudio.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 11:15:28 AM »
  I still have the original plug in my Saito .56 that was in it when I bought the model. The engine has run pretty much flawlessly through the learning curve. It started to get a bit hard to start so some suggested setting the valve lash, and that cured that. It was just at the large end of the clearance spec, and still ran well once running.  The only guys I have seen that had issues with glow plugs in four strokes, didn't have a four stroke plug in the engine to start with.                   
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 03:09:21 PM »
I have or have owned around fifty four-cycle engines - OS, ENYA, SAITO and HP, Webra and Morton - from the OS FS 20 up to the ENYA 90.

At best guess, I've flown probably fifteen or twenty different 4-S powered planes, a total of well over 2,000 flights.

I have NEVER changed a plug in a 4-S engine. My Little Cherokee, built in 1998, is powered by a SAITO 30 and with just over 1,000 flights, it still has the original plug.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here