News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:28:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Got a Saito 40  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Got a Saito 40
« on: April 14, 2019, 05:56:16 PM »
I picked up a used Saito 40 this weekend at a swap meet. Looking over the many threads posted over the years I wonder if someone can boil down a couple questions for me. Looking over the Horizon Saito FA-40 operating instructions exploded view, my engine has what appears to be a crankcase vent on the front right side of the engine while the newer engine has the vent in the back plate.  My engine does not have the optional choke assembly beneath the carburetor and it has the throttle control for an R/C set up.
I read that Saito at one time offered a C/L version and one engine weighed much more than the other, I'm unclear on which.
Did I buy something I will regret? Can the R/C version be converted as simply it is to convert the OS FP 40? Is there a problem with running it with the throttle wired open?
Need help, thanks,

Steve

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Got a Saito 40
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 06:47:27 PM »
The FA series case was the heavy one. You will not regret owning that engine. I flew a 72" wing piper cub with that same engine for years.
I'll let the Saito guys comment on cl conversion before I say some weird os specific stuff. Lol

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 07:57:05 PM »
Dane,

Can you estimate the age of this engine? I haven't weighed it yet, did yours have the R/C throttle or was it a C/L version?

I'm happy to have your Favorable response.

Steve

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 09:00:59 PM »
Mine was rc. I have only had one Saito in a cl plane, and it was a 30.

However, you're query on age sparked my saito memories. I'm wrong about the heavy situation. Yours appears to me to be the FA-40a.
The os 40 surpass is 12.5 oz. Your Saito is less than 11 oz, if I am correct in the "a" series.
Run an 11x5 or 11x6 in a SIG banshee sized plane and you'll appreciate that engine quite a bit!

Oh, and I'm not as versed in saito as os. So I'm not sure of the age, but it could very well be less than 15 years old. It's a modern series if that's an "a"

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 09:05:40 PM »
If the mount pattern is 88x45x93mm it's a FA-40a

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 04:59:25 PM »
It is definitely an "A" which is the one to get. A while back, there was some debate on the RC forums as to whether or not, this the best all time Saito period. I personally think it is. I also think it is one of finest engines of any type or size ever made. Like all 4 strokes, you have to know what your doing but, a zillion sport and contest RC flyers all over the world use Saito's. I showed my 40A to a long time RC modeler friend of mine who is also a professional machinist, and he said that "this is not a motor, this is a piece of jewelry".
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 05:19:25 AM »
Search the forum for "Saito 40" and you will discover everything known about your engine.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here