News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:07:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Correct engine, wrong fuel.....  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Angelo Smyth

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Correct engine, wrong fuel.....
« on: April 03, 2019, 10:08:51 AM »
An old lady that used to be my neighbor had inadvertently filled up her car with E-85 instead of the regular gas that she normally had used. Fortunately for her, nothing really came of it, but this got me thinking: Has anyone ever used the wrong kind of fuel for their glow engines? (i.e.: 4 stroke glow fuel in a 2 stroke glow engine, etc.?) What was the outcome?
-A.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Correct engine, wrong fuel.....
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 07:42:36 PM »
   There was a time where four stroke fuel had less oil in it than two stroke fuel, something like 16 to 17%. Different fuel makers had lots of different recipes. Four stroke engines were different then also, and it was common to have to double the displacement to achieve equal power of a two stroke. But as four stroke engines improved, the strict fuel requirements have eased off. I think with today's 4T engines, as long as you use an all synthetic oil in the fuel, you can use just about anything. I run Powermaster/VP Fuels YS 20-20 blend in my Saito .56, and it's 20% total oil (all synthetic) and 20% nitro. It's probably the most popular blend, although quite expensive these days at 40 bucks a gallon, and I imagine some guys may be experimenting with some different fuel this summer. I have run this same fuel in a OS.32 two stroke with no harm done just to see how it would run. In short, 25 years or so ago, you may have had some issues after long term use of low oil four stroke fuel in a Fox.35,  and a sticky valve train in  a four stroke engine from running Fox Superfuel! They would run, but the Fox would be the looser here after several runs! If I have to give up Powermaster for some reason, I will try Morgan fuels 15% nitro Cool Power fuel to see how it goes. I have heard of local R/C flyers keeping only that on hand to run their R/C engines on.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Correct engine, wrong fuel.....
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 10:52:24 PM »
An old lady that used to be my neighbor had inadvertently filled up her car with E-85 instead of the regular gas that she normally had used. Fortunately for her, nothing really came of it, but this got me thinking: Has anyone ever used the wrong kind of fuel for their glow engines? (i.e.: 4 stroke glow fuel in a 2 stroke glow engine, etc.?) What was the outcome?

I have won and come in second at the Southwest Regionals many times running 4-stroke fuel in my 2-stroke, so,  I guess you win a bunch of trophies!  There's not really any fundamental difference in 4-stroke and 2-stroke fuel. YS 20/20 has more oil than my usual 2-stroke fuel.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here