News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:15:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Color of Powermaster YS/Saito 20/20 fuel  (Read 10327 times)

Offline Dennis_Bieber

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Color of Powermaster YS/Saito 20/20 fuel
« on: March 10, 2016, 06:05:10 AM »
I've had no luck with 4 strokes in the past. A Saito .40 and an OS 40s. in a profile Cardinal. Looking back , I think I can explain some of my problem related to fuel. I have a gallon of Powermaster YS/Saito 20/20 that has a red tint. Suspect of where that gallon came from or what's in the can I recently bought 4 quarts of the same from E-main hobbies and it has a purple tint.  For you guys that have been using this for a while, Has it always been purple?????     Thanks.      Dennis 

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Color of Powermaster YS/Saito 20/20 fuel
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 07:13:48 AM »
I buy power master 20/20 very often. It's purple since vp bought them out. It hasn't been red in at least five years that i can remember. Probably longer, though. I remember it being red in my IMAC plane, a sukhoi su 26. That was 05 i believe

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 08:13:07 AM »
I might encourage you to be mindfull of the purple dye in the fuel.
I got some Powermaster <GMA a while back, after VP took over, the purple dye was tinting the clear on my classic plane,, very disconceerting, especially since it has a Urethane clear topcoat!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 10:18:27 AM »
I might encourage you to be mindfull of the purple dye in the fuel.
I got some Powermaster <GMA a while back, after VP took over, the purple dye was tinting the clear on my classic plane,, very disconceerting, especially since it has a Urethane clear topcoat!

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. The dye they use is a dye for the oil. We use it here also in the hydraulic oil. Our stuff comes in red or blue (CAT branded). It's extremely strong stuff. It will permanently stain clothes or whatever if it comes into contact full strength. I can only assume they use something similar.
 I will note that all of my planes are 100% monokote, so i have not had this problem. But i really like the fuel

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 10:37:25 AM »
I will note that all of my planes are 100% monokote, so i have not had this problem. But i really like the fuel

The purple GMA fuel would dye Monocoat.  I had some of it, too.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 11:52:01 AM »
This was very disturbing since the airplane I was flying was my Avenger, and appearance was its greatest claim to fame,, considering, a pilots choice at VSC and best appearing Classic at the NATS,, staining was a BIG problem needless to say,,
I spoke to VP and they were going to replace my fuel but have not heard back from them though they were receptive to my communication
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 12:14:13 PM »
The purple GMA fuel would dye Monocoat.  I had some of it, too.

Must have been a strong mix with the dye. I can easily see that happening. Ours comes in a metal container, and sometimes i mix a little in a plastic gallon container of hyd oil. It stains the plastic every time.

I'm very sorry to hear that Mark. That is very disappointing. Judging by the pics of your planes I've seen on here, i know it must have been a beautiful finish

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 12:44:33 PM »
Must have been a strong mix with the dye. I can easily see that happening. Ours comes in a metal container, and sometimes i mix a little in a plastic gallon container of hyd oil. It stains the plastic every time.

The fuel was supposed to be a light pink, but the best story we (well, Mark and Brett Buck) could get was that they'd had an accident in mixing.  They did promise that henceforth the fuel would be clear, and to date they've stuck by that promise.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 09:44:39 PM »
The fuel was supposed to be a light pink, but the best story we (well, Mark and Brett Buck) could get was that they'd had an accident in mixing.  They did promise that henceforth the fuel would be clear, and to date they've stuck by that promise.

It wasn't an accident. They ran out of the red/pink, decided they needed to dye it with something, and picked the purple. They also said they tested it for staining, and it didn't stain their test article. I asked them, and of course the test article was Monokote. I got a replacement batch of RO-Jett right before the NATs last year and it was clear as requested. I think they are going to make any of the CL fuels clear from now on out, but they also discontinued most of them.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 10:41:26 AM »
    It wasn't an accident. They ran out of the red/pink, decided they needed to dye it with something, and picked the purple. They also said they tested it for staining, and it didn't stain their test article. I asked them, and of course the test article was Monokote. I got a replacement batch of RO-Jett right before the NATs last year and it was clear as requested. I think they are going to make any of the CL fuels clear from now on out, but they also discontinued most of them.

Thanks for the correction.  They didn't try hard enough with their test article -- it takes time, but the stuff did too stain Monocoat.

Their GMA fuel has been working very well for me -- even the purple stuff ran just fine.
AMA 64232

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 11:18:34 AM »
Thanks for the correction.  They didn't try hard enough with their test article -- it takes time, but the stuff did too stain Monocoat.

Their GMA fuel has been working very well for me -- even the purple stuff ran just fine.

It all seems to work as normal, as far as I can tell.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here