Engine basics > Four strokes only

Cleaning the 4-stroke engines

(1/2) > >>

Mike Alimov:
A few of my Saitos have developed oil varnish on the outside, and what's worse, on the valve stems, and I'd like to give them good cleaning before putting away for long-term storage.  I'd like to hear from those who have successfully cleaned their Saito engines - what method did you use? (I favor the crock pot myself, but only used it on 2-strokes, fully disassembled).  To what degree did you take the engine apart?  Did you remove the valves?  Did the engine run any different after cleaning?

Massimo Rimoldi:
Hi.
If you have used the engine with a fuel containing castor oil I advise you to completely disassemble it and to check very well the cleanliness of the camshaft bushing. Check that the lubrication hole is completely open. Obviously it eliminates all combustion residues from valves etc.

Massimo

Mike Alimov:
Thank you for your reply Massimo, but I still don't understand what method of cleaning you used (chemical, solvent, antifreeze, cold or hot?) and to what degree did you disassemble the engine, especially the top end (valves, etc).

Anybody else cleaned their Saito?

Massimo Rimoldi:
Hi.
The engine has been COMPLETELY disassembled.  For cleaning I use cold solvent naphtha (CAS number 64742-89-8), but the crock pot system can do the job.

Massimo

Mike Alimov:
Thank you!  I will try that tomorrow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version