News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:54:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Breaking in a new .26 Surpass?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Breaking in a new .26 Surpass?
« on: August 15, 2020, 09:35:48 PM »
I just bought this new O.S. .26 Surpass from Mike Hazel's latest Flying Lines listing.  As you can see, it has the Zambelli type venturi mod.  It's going into either a Flight Streak or a Brodak ARF Ringmaster.  I am going to be using Powermaster YS/Saito 20/20 to run it.  From a quick browse through past threads in this section, I'm gonna try a MA 9x6 first, then maybe an APC 9x6 to see how it likes them.  The engine did not come with the instruction sheet covering the break-in procedure, though I'm not sure I could have followed it anyway with the CL conversion done already.  What would be the best method for doing a break in as it is now? 

Mark

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Breaking in a new .26 Surpass?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 04:26:59 PM »
Hi, Mark.
I've broken in around ten of these engines, both the R/C version and those on which I did my venturi conversion.
9-4 or 9-6 props seem to work fine.
I run them a bit rich for 5 to 10 minutes at a time, allowing them to cool between runs.
They will usually be ready to fly after around 4 or 5 runs.
I was originally using 10% nitro, 22% 50/50 castor/synthetic but I switched to 20% nitro, 20% synthetic with a few ounces of castor oil per gallon.
Never had a problem.

Hope this helps.

Bob Z.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Breaking in a new .26 Surpass?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 10:01:26 PM »
Okay, thanks, Bob.  I'll break it in tomorrow.  I was planning on doing some bench running anyway.  I'm sure I have the right props.

Thank You,
Mark

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here