News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:20:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best carburetor for use on CL 4strokes?  (Read 1963 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Best carburetor for use on CL 4strokes?
« on: August 29, 2021, 08:40:30 AM »
I'm wondering if there is a particular brand of carburetor that seals well enough to use on CL 4strokes? Something like the Perry carbs, or others? Want to be able to start at idle and move to full power for flight.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Best carburetor for use on CL 4strokes?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 05:08:45 PM »
For idle to full power, the stock carbs are fine.

The stock carb when properly sealed and wired wide open works perfectly for c/l stunt.

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 07:22:13 AM »
Bob,
What mods do you suggest to seal the factory OS carbs so that they can be used to go from idle to full open without air leaks? I want to be able to start and set to idle while the ship is in a stooge then when the stooge is released (when I'm at the handle) have it go to full power (with a spring loader) for the flight.

I got use to electric not spinning up while walking to the handle and like it. Seems if we could go to idle then set the carb with a spring arm attached to the stooge, one could do a two position stooge release or single that would allow it to go to full power. Just a comfort thing for me.

Best,   DennisT

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 07:31:24 AM »
Found the carb barrel, stop and arm for all four of my FS OS engines. They were all in zip lock bags in the box for the 52. On the 20, 26 & 40 I had someone make up a black plastic insert that was drilled for the venturi size. It just pushed in were the carb barrel was and sealed it off. On the 52 I got a whole new carb stack and added a venturi piece with conventional NVA, so have the complete carb and stack for that. The carb for the 52 is a bit heavy so if I go that route later I will think about a lighter carb setup. I'm thinking that I will add a flat thin rubber washer on the arm end to give a little extra seal.

I plan on starting with the 26 in a S1 Ringmaster for the low to up setup with the electronic stooge from Mark Wood. If this works might do something bigger.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 07:39:28 AM »
I'm wondering if there is a particular brand of carburetor that seals well enough to use on CL 4strokes? Something like the Perry carbs, or others? Want to be able to start at idle and move to full power for flight.

Best,   DennisT

Hi Dennis,
I've been using Bob Reeves's carb mode on my SAITO 72 for years (as many other 4 stroke users as well...) It works like a charm!

Try it, you wont regret it!
http://www.tulsacl.com/SaitoCarb.html

Later,
Claudio.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here