Engine basics > Four strokes only

4 Stroke reduced weight

(1/2) > >>

Dennis Toth:
Does anyone offer machining of the crankshaft to bore out the center and reduce weight of 4 strokes?

Best,   DennisT

Bob Reeves:
No reason to even think about it especially if it's a later model Saito, engine weight isn't an issue at all with the 40,56 and 62, with maybe a little consideration on shortening the nose a bit for a 72.

Dennis Toth:
I disagree, people do extraordinary things in stunt to save 1/4 oz or less. If the crank on any of these 4 strokes could be lightened you could save between 3/4 and 1 oz., same strong steady power, less weight, that's a good combination. In stunt it is a big deal, just say'en. 

Best,     DennisT

Massimo Rimoldi:
Hi Dennis,

Be careful to lighten the engine's parts  , especially in a 4Stroke
A friend of mine (about twenty years ago) replaced the ball bearings of a 4Stroke with a smaller size to save weight.
He soon discovered that the ball bearings's life had decreased with their weight due to poor lubrication, but he didn't like how he found out.

Massimo

Dennis Toth:
Massimo,
I understand about not going to far. Changing bearings to non OEM type particularly going smaller is going to stress things. With the crankshaft at least on the ones I've see it is solid steel. Since we don't need base compression in the 4 stroke boring out the shaft while leaving a reasonable wall thickness should be doable without changing the engine run. It seems like a simple way to reduce weight by up to an oz. but you need to have the proper machinery to do the job without cracking or distorting the shaft. Just seems a way to take a pretty good power plant and take it to the next level as it already uses about half the fuel weight.

Best,    DennisT 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version