Engine basics > Four strokes only

4 Stroke alternative fuel?

(1/4) > >>

Dennis Toth:
Guys,
Has anyone tried to experiment with alternative fuel mix for their 4 Strokes? It seems that all the 4 Stroke manufacturers have given the below 60 market to electric. Many of the large engines run on gasoline/spark that can handle the extra weight. So those of us who like small IC FS engines are left with dwindling suppliers of suitable fuel (high nitro) and very expensive for the fuel that is out there. Any options out there?

Best,    DennisT

Russell Graves:
I'm fortunate to have a VP Racing station nearby where I can buy nitro and methanol, so I can mix my own fuel to whatever percentages I like. I order my oil from Randy Ritch and pick it up at the NATS to save the shipping costs. The other alternative for oil is to order it from Klotz online (get the Original Techniplate 100% synthetic, or BeNOL Castor oil, or the Klotz Super Techniplate which is 80% Original Techniplate synthetic and 20% BeNOL Castor oil pre-mixed).

You can order custom fuel from Randy Ritch but he needs to sell a case (4 gallons) at a time, and the shipping costs are expensive. He supplies all the fuel for the major F2D Combat contests, so if there is one near you, you can order the fuel and pick it up at the contest to save the shipping costs. You can reach out to him at ritchsbrew dot com but sometimes it's a little hard to actually talk with him to place the order. His phone number is 281-701-3121. He's in TX. His fuel is really good.

Colin McRae:
I have been using VP AIR 10% nitro (on a small OS 26FS). VP AIR also comes in 5% and 15% nitro. It is available in gallon cans at a few hobby shops near me. This particular fuel is 18% total oil (80% syn/20% castor). I try to follow the OS owner's manual which calls out for 20% oil minimum. So, I add a bit of castor to get it up to 20%. 4 oz of castor added for one gallon. The resultant oil blend is 68% syn/32% castor.

Also, Redmax fuels (FHS supply) will blend any fuel you want. Just need to call them. FHS only sells quart size containers to evade the haz mat fee. Ends up being reasonably competitive pricewise.

Dennis Toth:
Colin,
On another thread there is a rather extensive discussion about Red Max fuel being discontinued. Have you gone on their website lately or talked to them? If you have and they will still blend fuel please let us know.

Best,   DennisT

Colin McRae:

--- Quote from: Dennis Toth on December 04, 2023, 06:25:02 PM ---Colin,
On another thread there is a rather extensive discussion about Red Max fuel being discontinued. Have you gone on their website lately or talked to them? If you have and they will still blend fuel please let us know.

Best,   DennisT

--- End quote ---

Sorry, but no.
I purchased a bunch of Redmax fuel like 6 months ago with no issues. Sounds like I need to read that post and get educated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version