Engine basics > Four strokes only

4 Stroke alternative fuel?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Colin McRae:
Just read about Redmax. WOW and too bad cuz I liked their fuel. So, for me it will be VP fuels w/ castor added as needed.

BTW, in the past I tried to purchase Ritch's Brew fuel. I called and emailed them several times to try to order w/ no response. I guess they did not want (or need) my $$. So, I gave up.

I also sometimes purchase fuel from Brodak, but at higher cost. Usually, I am getting other CL stuff and throw in a couple of quarts I might need since I am paying some fixed shipping charges anyway.

spare_parts:

--- Quote from: Dennis Toth on December 03, 2023, 09:24:48 AM ---Has anyone tried to experiment with alternative fuel mix for their 4 Strokes?

--- End quote ---

What did you have in mind? Something other than glow fuel? A different blend of glow fuel? Do you mean only high nitro fuel is available or that you can't get it? I've run the smaller OS four strokes on zero nitro fuel. If you intend to use glow ignition with something other than methanol, it will take some experimentation with plugs and compression. You should be able to find bulk methanol locally, though and just keep going as always. I've flown ignition four stroke on .40 size aircraft.

Manufacturers just stopped making engines even though there was demand? People stopped buying them. The RC club I belong to is mostly electric now. Only a few of us diehard glow.

You can buy NOS engines like FS-26S any day of the week on Ebay. Besides electric becoming the go to power source, I think the success of sales during the 90's which were even never used and relative durability is partly responsible for their demise. I probably have 50 or more four stroke (mostly OS Surpass) engines. Only 2 were purchased retail new.

Dennis Toth:
SP,
I am interested in more information on running the 4Strokes on methanol and oil. Its not that I can't get glow fuel now but if we don't start looking at alternatives to nitro fuels it well get to a point where fuel is just out of reach for most flyers.

For running methanol/oil fuel did you need to use a starter to get it fired off? What plug did you use? How was the power?

Best,    DennisT

Dan McEntee:

--- Quote from: Dennis Toth on December 05, 2023, 03:28:56 PM ---SP,
I am interested in more information on running the 4Strokes on methanol and oil. Its not that I can't get glow fuel now but if we don't start looking at alternatives to nitro fuels it well get to a point where fuel is just out of reach for most flyers.

For running methanol/oil fuel did you need to use a starter to get it fired off? What plug did you use? How was the power?

Best,    DennisT

--- End quote ---

I don't think you know what you are asking. Do you know how a glow engine works?  The reaction of the methanol to the platinum/rhodium element in the glow plug that creates the ignition of the fuel mix?  If you have an alternate fuel, you will need an alternate source of ignition. There are allegedly glow plugs that work with gasoline, but I don't see a big rush by anyone to use them. I doubt that they would work in a four stroke as well as alcohol and the platinum/rhodium element. Spark ignition runs pretty hot on gasoline and oil, so some users use Colman fuel instead, or even alcohol and oil because it runs cooler. The "alternative fuel" that you are looking for is diesel, but with the issues with the availability of good quality either cancels that out.  If you think there might be another alternative fuel, I suggest you get your chemistry set out and start experimenting and discover one. The glow plug and alcohol combination has been around since 1947. If there was another recipe to economically run a model engine, some one would have discovered it by now.
    type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

spare_parts:

--- Quote from: Dennis Toth on December 05, 2023, 03:28:56 PM ---SP,

--- End quote ---

FAI fuel 80/20 is basic glow fuel, generally forgotten about outside of FAI competition. I typically use 18% oil (I have no problem running 12-15% depending on the specific oil), balance methanol. OS F plug as always. Needles end up a few clicks leaner. If you've been running 30%, it will be quite a bit less power. Hand prop is no problem. Needles will be more touchy. Sometimes you can change the needle for a finer needle. Sometimes you can remove a head gasket. If you were running 10% it's 300-400rpm down. If an FS-40S isn't enough, use a FS-48S or 52S.

I've played with E85, gas, coleman, kerosene, glow, spark, and diesel, in glow four strokes. Compression ratios, carbs, etc. etc...  There have been glow ignition gas engine by OS and others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version