News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:16:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please post here if you would like help  (Read 12237 times)

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
Please post here if you would like help
« on: August 07, 2008, 03:02:56 PM »
Now that we know there are guys out there that are willing to help. How about some that need some help to post here, so we can hook you up with someone. I'm sure someone is out there that could use some hands on help. Just let us know here and we will do our best.
You don't stop flying cause your get OLD
You get OLD cause you stopped flying
St Peter MN
Present Master of the Figure 9

Offline james dean

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
  • Rebel with a cause AMA 467575
Re: Please post here if you would like help
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:26:52 PM »
Hello!
I'm a stunt guy who's just getting serious about sanding and polishing dope finishs.  I have some materialsfor polishing but it would be great if someone could get me started? D>K Your suggestions would be most appreciated.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 04:42:18 PM »
Where do you live, James? 

See Phil Granderson's article in Model Aviation a year or so ago.  That's how you do it.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline james dean

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
  • Rebel with a cause AMA 467575
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 07:44:21 PM »
Thanks Howard,  I've found that edition and visited the autopaint store for the stuff Phil recommended.  Can you reccomend a supplier for the "flex Shaft" as there doesn't seem to be a current mfg. co. for this item.  Also, how long should one wait for the "Dope" to harden before attempting this polishing evolution?

Offline Frank Egyed

• New Pilot
  • AUS 12457
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 03:55:51 PM »
Greetings Forum Members
I'm a noob to this forum so please forgive any faux pas...
I'm returning to flying after a 34 year "sabbatical" and am now overwhelmed by the choices and information available ! I'd like to fly F2B again. My last model was a SIG Super Chipmunk and I was capable of putting it through a semi-respectable pattern.
It pleases me no end to see the Chipmunk kit is still around (I had mine painted like on the box :-) ) and am considering building another. Would you say it's still competitive, or have things come a long way since then? I've also seen a SIG Akrobat for sale which looks very similar to the Chipmunk but with built up rudder and elevator - any idea which is better?
I was thinking of sticking to a 40ish engine to keep the model size able to fit in a car, so I found the Vector40 in my googles. I see it has won/placed at the US Nats, but have read it's a "good intermediate" aircraft. Would you know if it's better than the two SIG models? And am I better off going for a bigger 51 or 60 powered model - is the performance THAT much better? (I have an enclosed trailer to carry a bigger model if needed))
I LOVE the 4/2 style of flying, but I'm finding it hard to get info about which motors will still do this. And now there is electric apparently available I'm interested (in avoiding cleaning), but again finding it hard to get useful info. Can you have throttle to replicate the 4/2 thing without too much weight? And what kind of motor would be equivalent to 40?
So after twenty questions, one more - any recommendations for my new bird ?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Cheers
:-)
You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Offline Jim Marshall

• New Pilot
Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas Modeling Help
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 11:04:03 AM »
Hello All.....

I've been a modeler since the mid 1940's.  I currently live in the Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas, a popular tourist mecca.  I am willing to help teach young & old that want to learn how to build & fly model planes.  Since the mid 50's, I've been an ardent competitor (AMA & FAI ) in Free Flight (indoor & outdoor) , Control Line and Radio Control.  I've designed, built and flown the gamut in modeling on a National & International scale....I've lost a few contests but have won a bunch of others.  At one time I was a team member and the captain of the US ARMY competition modeling team in the Pacific..we beat the sox off the Air Force, Navy & Marines when I was honcho..those were good times....I could go on forever about my accolades & accomplishments ...but I'm not here to brag...I am offering help and instruction to those interested in getting into model aircraft construction and/or flying...Even tho' I'm in my advanced years (70's) I'm still very much and heavily active in modeling and attend as many model meets as I can thru out the year ( don't let the gray hair fool ya, kid !! ) .  I am currently an AMA associate vice president in AMA District VIII (Deep South Texas ) and enjoy & delight in helping other modelers. 

I've recently returned to CL flying with a couple of other fellas and now working diligently on becoming a "force" again in old time stunt competition. 

Look me up in the AMA Model Aviation magazine in the District VIII report, give me a call (956) 984-9474....Let's Go Flying !!!

Jim Marshall

Offline mark littlefield

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 07:40:44 PM »
hello,
I'm new to the forum and to the control line world iv built several rubber powered free flight kits and just recently got into C\L flying so now id like to get a kit of my own to build i really like the look of the brodak 59 ares kit but was told it might be better to go with a more modern kit with a thicker airfoil any input would be much appreciated also if i do go with the ares whats a good engine to go with cost is a factor

and my uncle was wondering what a good .40 size stunt kit would be
Thanks,
     Mark

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 07:49:41 AM »
Hello Mark
It's great to see your intrest this is a great era to get into CL flying more kits than ever before and information from some of the greatest fliers.
I strongly suggest finding a CL flier in your area to help you. Look thrugh this Forum for some one near you willing to help. CL fliers are the greatest.
I would suggest you not build the Ares till you have a couple cl kits under your belt as most beginners crash often. With that said a profile kit would be best to start with easy to build and REPAIR as crashes do happen. If your like me and love to build there are many kits that fit the bill. You will probably want a easy to build and fly. Many fliers suggest a flapless model less to setup and to get right to fly well.
Flapless kits
Sig:
Skyray
Acromaster
Brodak:
Lightning Streak
Original Flite Streak
Super Clown
If you want to get in the air fast an ARF (almost ready to fly) would be best.
Sig:
Primary Force
Brodak:
ARF Super Clown
If you really want a flapped one the list is very large  so let me know and I will try to help.
St Peter MN

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 08:04:07 AM »
Greetings Forum Members
I'm returning to flying after a 34 year "sabbatical" and am now overwhelmed by the choices and information available ! I'd like to fly F2B again. My last model was a SIG Super Chipmunk and I was capable of putting it through a semi-respectable pattern.
It pleases me no end to see the Chipmunk kit is still around (I had mine painted like on the box :-) ) and am considering building another. Would you say it's still competitive, or have things come a long way since then? I've also seen a SIG Akrobat for sale which looks very similar to the Chipmunk but with built up rudder and elevator - any idea which is better?
I was thinking of sticking to a 40ish engine to keep the model size able to fit in a car, so I found the Vector40 in my googles. I see it has won/placed at the US Nats, but have read it's a "good intermediate" aircraft. Would you know if it's better than the two SIG models? And am I better off going for a bigger 51 or 60 powered model - is the performance THAT much better? (I have an enclosed trailer to carry a bigger model if needed))
I LOVE the 4/2 style of flying, but I'm finding it hard to get info about which motors will still do this. And now there is electric apparently available I'm interested (in avoiding cleaning), but again finding it hard to get useful info. Can you have throttle to replicate the 4/2 thing without too much weight? And what kind of motor would be equivalent to 40?
Cheers

Frank,

Go to the "Getin all Amped Up" forum on this site and scroll through the "List your setup" at the top of the page. You will find a number of successful set ups for electric stunt. You may also wish to post a question in that forum and I am certain you will get the help you need in getting back into control line stunt with electric power.

Good luck,

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline mark littlefield

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 02:28:10 PM »
Hello Mark
It's great to see your intrest this is a great era to get into CL flying more kits than ever before and information from some of the greatest fliers.
I strongly suggest finding a CL flier in your area to help you. Look thrugh this Forum for some one near you willing to help. CL fliers are the greatest.
I would suggest you not build the Ares till you have a couple cl kits under your belt as most beginners crash often. With that said a profile kit would be best to start with easy to build and REPAIR as crashes do happen. If your like me and love to build there are many kits that fit the bill. You will probably want a easy to build and fly. Many fliers suggest a flapless model less to setup and to get right to fly well.
Flapless kits
Sig:
Skyray
Acromaster
Brodak:
Lightning Streak
Original Flite Streak
Super Clown
If you want to get in the air fast an ARF (almost ready to fly) would be best.
Sig:
Primary Force
Brodak:
ARF Super Clown
If you really want a flapped one the list is very large  so let me know and I will try to help.

Hi Mike thanks for the info iv got a Sig buster with a norvel .15 that I'm practicing flying with right now the good news is my grandfather just gave me two r/c fox 40s last night so I've decided to get the ares just for building ( i really like building) for now and putting it away untill i feel overconfident and getting an arf for flying my uncle was saying i should get a vector 40 arf but you were talking profile with no flaps so dose the buster fill that role or should i still get some thing like the super clown i just want to get some more input because i know some people lean one way while others lean another and my uncle really likes the bigger plains so i wanted to See what you all think

thanks,
  Mark

Edit: ok I've decided to go with the hanger 9 pt-19 I've found it for only 99 bucks with  the engine so is there any thing i should know about it
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 11:38:17 PM by mark littlefield »

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 07:53:29 AM »
The Hanger9 PT19 is a great plane for learning on and has a really user friendly motor the EVO 36. One thing to say about the motor is use RC fuel with all synthetic oil no castor at all. It just doesn't like castor at all. Actually the hardest thing I have had to learn is getting a consistent motor run flight after flight, with this combo you will be way ahead on the learning curve. As for the Fox motors the RC ones ran at a higher rpm than the CL ones so they may not work as is for your ARES. I would suggest send them to Randy Smith at Aero Products.
http://www.aeroproduct.net/
He will massage them into a great CL motor. Just slowing them down with the throttle also lessens the HP needed to pull the plane through the maneuvers.
Also when starting on the PT 19 post all your questions and some pics in the ARF section of this forum and you will get much more help than just I can give. There are some really great fliers and builders here.
Last: where do you live mabe someone on this forum lives nere you.
St Peter MN

Offline SH Stunter

• New Pilot
Frank,
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 05:44:56 PM »
Greetings Forum Members
Cheers

Offline SH Stunter

• New Pilot
Getting started in CL again
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 06:13:01 PM »
Frank,
You're on the"right set of lines", -- to ask for input on what to build.  I'll give you MY OPINION.  so take what you want and delete the rest.

I flew a SIG Chip Monk a few years ago (at the Nats BTW) and I liked it as an intermediate plane .  But the wind at the Nats that day allowed me to find the weak link in the "kit".  The control horns were plastic molded on to the elevator and flap joiner wires.  Those plastic horns bent because of the wind  loads , resulting in only partial control throws.  End of Chip monk.  Moral of the story:  use metal control horns, if you build it again.   

You asked about the Vector by Brodak.  That's a good plane also, (mine is up for sale because I don't have room for it.)
Going for a bigger plane in the 60 size is OK if that's what turns you on at this stage of your control line learning.   I'm still learning and I enjoy the 40 -46 size planes for the --1) more economical to build; 2)  size; 3) total investment is less (than bigger planes); 4) build/assemply is faster. Plus other reasons. 

BTW Where do you live?  I have to fly by myself,-- no other CL modelers within 90 miles of me (west coast of Floroda)

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask for help--- the PAMPA group are great people, and will always step forward to help when asked.

DHO

Offline Ryan Grimm

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 05:46:08 AM »
I'm likewise considering getting back into flying this Spring...been 28 years.....being semi-retired has given me more time than I like.
I have a NIB Fox .35 Stunt and a few other engines (.40s and .60s), and remember having fun with a Magician profile, converted with flaps.
Is the Magician still available as plans, or maybe a kit?  I like scratch-building, I can pick lighter wood that way.

I also have a nearly finished NOBLER that will wait until I get back in the groove.

Odds are I will be flying solo, so I'm resurrecting my solo plane release mechanism.
I'm KINDA fortunate to have a hobby shop nearby, even if they do concentrate on those new-fangled helicopters and cars.
I'll order some fuel through them.

Ryan, Plymouth MA

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 11:28:34 AM »
the IRKS is an R/C / control line  club in Melbourne Fl we have a club trainer for anyone wanting to try U/C. if u have your own we have experienced members willing to help u get started
rad racer

Offline Richard Davis

• AV8TR1
  • New Pilot
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »
I am Interior Alaska   
Will teach to fly and how to build to anyone who wants to learn

Offline RK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 09:59:25 PM »
I need some help in Somerset, Kentucky ( south central)  :D  I have joined the Somerset Model Airplane Club which is mostly an RC club But they have a separate area set aside for control line (very nice) & a few other members that want to learn. My problem is I am just starting to fly CL now that I am retired and so many things have changed since I was flying 1/2 A as a kid! I am currently building 1/2A & larger planes 09-35 & need some help with flying!

Thanks, RK Flyer   
If you come to a fork in the road,,,,Take it!

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2022, 05:32:52 PM »
Phil Cartier here in central PA, just west of Hershey PA  and near a big Chocolate Company theme park(eat more chocolate!).  Been here since 1976.  Our house is now along the Swatara Creek on the north side of Hummelstown- a delightful little independent borough with some 2500 people.

My flying preference is control-line Combat.  I've flown combat here since 1979.  I started flying C/L about 1958 with a 36in span profile with an Enya 19 on it that I designed.
.  It flew better than a Ringmaster but I didn't fly in any contests aroound 67.  The Minneapolis Piston Poppers and I had a number of friends there (including Air Classix, aka Dennis Leonardi who posts here).  The 1967 contest featured some 40 contestants, including 3 for combat.  My Aunte gave me a Johnson Combat 35.  I built a very high aspect ratio plane for the time- Rapier-  8 in chord, 44in span with 350 square inches.  It flew very well.  Flying over pavement was a little dicey for a first combat match.  I got up first, didn't hit the pavement or the other plane. The other two pilots flew, and then I flew one of them for first and second.  The last match for 1 and 2 was dicey too.  I mostly kept away from my opponent.  He kept coming in up high and diving down until he smacked the pavement.  I stayed up another minute or so and got the match on airtime.

000I got a fantastic job at Hershey Foods in 1976.  Chocolate every day and I had learned a lotin 3 years before I got the job at Hershey.  Very fortunate the bosses were pretty damn smart.  We started making Reeses' Pieces introduced in the first couple of years.  After a year I suggested doing the sugar coating without transferring the product into large "trucks" that could take 500 lbs and sat over night before being polished.

With all the time I had a built about7 different planes. Mary and I stopped at the Nationals(Oshkosh, I think) on the way to Hershey that summer.  We met up with Gil Reedy and his family.  Nice folks and Gil was already and accomplished combat flyer.  I brought along a brand new foam plane that weighed barely 16 ounces with the Johnson on the pod.  I had the honor of sending Rich Lopez t the showers.  It was a great introduction with a panopoly of good flyers.  Things just went up the next 20 some years.

We had a fairly active club for years, the Harrisburg Aeromodeling Society.  One of the guys was a bit of a cartoonistt and came up with a drawing of a flying ham towing Gil around.  The club grew to 30 something members over the years.  We did a number of demonstrations and give a number of youngsters enough practice to be competent flyers.

So if we can find anyone interested in CL flying I'm willing to pitch in.  This year I got a real surprise.  A fellow from Lebanon PA, about 15 miles way, called me out of the blue.  His name was Barry Lyter.  He was getting started flying combat.  It turned out his Dad and I had done quite a bit of combat contest flying around about Pittsburg, Harrisburg, Maryland, New Jersey and up to Rhode Island, Connecticut and Georgia,. North Carolina, and most of the Nationals.  After Barry Jr. had found a wonderful wife, they had a very smart daughter starting work at the Hershey medical center. He and his Dad started coming over to a Combat-Ready park just north of Hershey itself.  Flying is picking up.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here