Find One Teach One > FOTO op Members in your area that are willing to teach control line.

Please post here if you would like help

<< < (2/4) > >>

Jim Marshall:
Hello All.....

I've been a modeler since the mid 1940's.  I currently live in the Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas, a popular tourist mecca.  I am willing to help teach young & old that want to learn how to build & fly model planes.  Since the mid 50's, I've been an ardent competitor (AMA & FAI ) in Free Flight (indoor & outdoor) , Control Line and Radio Control.  I've designed, built and flown the gamut in modeling on a National & International scale....I've lost a few contests but have won a bunch of others.  At one time I was a team member and the captain of the US ARMY competition modeling team in the Pacific..we beat the sox off the Air Force, Navy & Marines when I was honcho..those were good times....I could go on forever about my accolades & accomplishments ...but I'm not here to brag...I am offering help and instruction to those interested in getting into model aircraft construction and/or flying...Even tho' I'm in my advanced years (70's) I'm still very much and heavily active in modeling and attend as many model meets as I can thru out the year ( don't let the gray hair fool ya, kid !! ) .  I am currently an AMA associate vice president in AMA District VIII (Deep South Texas ) and enjoy & delight in helping other modelers. 

I've recently returned to CL flying with a couple of other fellas and now working diligently on becoming a "force" again in old time stunt competition. 

Look me up in the AMA Model Aviation magazine in the District VIII report, give me a call (956) 984-9474....Let's Go Flying !!!

Jim Marshall

mark littlefield:
hello,
I'm new to the forum and to the control line world iv built several rubber powered free flight kits and just recently got into C\L flying so now id like to get a kit of my own to build i really like the look of the brodak 59 ares kit but was told it might be better to go with a more modern kit with a thicker airfoil any input would be much appreciated also if i do go with the ares whats a good engine to go with cost is a factor

and my uncle was wondering what a good .40 size stunt kit would be
Thanks,
     Mark

Mike Spiess:
Hello Mark
It's great to see your intrest this is a great era to get into CL flying more kits than ever before and information from some of the greatest fliers.
I strongly suggest finding a CL flier in your area to help you. Look thrugh this Forum for some one near you willing to help. CL fliers are the greatest.
I would suggest you not build the Ares till you have a couple cl kits under your belt as most beginners crash often. With that said a profile kit would be best to start with easy to build and REPAIR as crashes do happen. If your like me and love to build there are many kits that fit the bill. You will probably want a easy to build and fly. Many fliers suggest a flapless model less to setup and to get right to fly well.
Flapless kits
Sig:
Skyray
Acromaster
Brodak:
Lightning Streak
Original Flite Streak
Super Clown
If you want to get in the air fast an ARF (almost ready to fly) would be best.
Sig:
Primary Force
Brodak:
ARF Super Clown
If you really want a flapped one the list is very large  so let me know and I will try to help.

John Cralley:

--- Quote from: Frank Egyed on August 18, 2010, 03:55:51 PM ---Greetings Forum Members
I'm a noob to this forum so please forgive any faux pas...
I'm returning to flying after a 34 year "sabbatical" and am now overwhelmed by the choices and information available ! I'd like to fly F2B again. My last model was a SIG Super Chipmunk and I was capable of putting it through a semi-respectable pattern.
It pleases me no end to see the Chipmunk kit is still around (I had mine painted like on the box :-) ) and am considering building another. Would you say it's still competitive, or have things come a long way since then? I've also seen a SIG Akrobat for sale which looks very similar to the Chipmunk but with built up rudder and elevator - any idea which is better?
I was thinking of sticking to a 40ish engine to keep the model size able to fit in a car, so I found the Vector40 in my googles. I see it has won/placed at the US Nats, but have read it's a "good intermediate" aircraft. Would you know if it's better than the two SIG models? And am I better off going for a bigger 51 or 60 powered model - is the performance THAT much better? (I have an enclosed trailer to carry a bigger model if needed))
I LOVE the 4/2 style of flying, but I'm finding it hard to get info about which motors will still do this. And now there is electric apparently available I'm interested (in avoiding cleaning), but again finding it hard to get useful info. Can you have throttle to replicate the 4/2 thing without too much weight? And what kind of motor would be equivalent to 40?
So after twenty questions, one more - any recommendations for my new bird ?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Cheers
:-)

--- End quote ---

Frank,

Go to the "Getin all Amped Up" forum on this site and scroll through the "List your setup" at the top of the page. You will find a number of successful set ups for electric stunt. You may also wish to post a question in that forum and I am certain you will get the help you need in getting back into control line stunt with electric power.

Good luck,

John

mark littlefield:

--- Quote from: Mike Spiess on October 11, 2010, 07:49:41 AM ---Hello Mark
It's great to see your intrest this is a great era to get into CL flying more kits than ever before and information from some of the greatest fliers.
I strongly suggest finding a CL flier in your area to help you. Look thrugh this Forum for some one near you willing to help. CL fliers are the greatest.
I would suggest you not build the Ares till you have a couple cl kits under your belt as most beginners crash often. With that said a profile kit would be best to start with easy to build and REPAIR as crashes do happen. If your like me and love to build there are many kits that fit the bill. You will probably want a easy to build and fly. Many fliers suggest a flapless model less to setup and to get right to fly well.
Flapless kits
Sig:
Skyray
Acromaster
Brodak:
Lightning Streak
Original Flite Streak
Super Clown
If you want to get in the air fast an ARF (almost ready to fly) would be best.
Sig:
Primary Force
Brodak:
ARF Super Clown
If you really want a flapped one the list is very large  so let me know and I will try to help.

--- End quote ---

Hi Mike thanks for the info iv got a Sig buster with a norvel .15 that I'm practicing flying with right now the good news is my grandfather just gave me two r/c fox 40s last night so I've decided to get the ares just for building ( i really like building) for now and putting it away untill i feel overconfident and getting an arf for flying my uncle was saying i should get a vector 40 arf but you were talking profile with no flaps so dose the buster fill that role or should i still get some thing like the super clown i just want to get some more input because i know some people lean one way while others lean another and my uncle really likes the bigger plains so i wanted to See what you all think

thanks,
  Mark

Edit: ok I've decided to go with the hanger 9 pt-19 I've found it for only 99 bucks with  the engine so is there any thing i should know about it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version