News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:34:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SV Hawk F2CN F2F motor order  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
SV Hawk F2CN F2F motor order
« on: September 20, 2019, 01:24:45 PM »
FYI,
Mark Greenwood in the UK is placing an order for the new SV Hawk 2.5 cc diesel F2CN motor.
SV.Hawk f2cn /f2f £280 inc shipping 4 position drum
rpm on 6.5 x 5.5 apc 21000rpm
tested 19.8s for ten laps
email Mark at controlineuk@gmail.com if you are interested

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: SV Hawk F2CN F2F motor order
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 12:17:00 PM »
F2CN is NOT a beginner's event,and I don't think anyone really believes that it is.

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 03:41:41 AM »
Personally, I hadn't really thought about it being a beginners event or not, but F2CN does make a good platform for running those old Nelson Diesels, which is why I have one.

Les

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 12:42:57 AM »
Les,
What is a good 10 lap time for an F2CN? Right now we are getting around 22s for 10.
Dave is trying to teach me when how to recognize when the motor is going hard over. I am adjusting the comp and needle to get a consistent run that does not go hard over after a warmup period and multiple tanks.
We may have 4 F2CN planes at Whittier later this month. Are you bringing your own fuel?

Mike

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 08:35:20 AM »
Les,
What is a good 10 lap time for an F2CN? Right now we are getting around 22s for 10.
Dave is trying to teach me when how to recognize when the motor is going hard over. I am adjusting the comp and needle to get a consistent run that does not go hard over after a warmup period and multiple tanks.
We may have 4 F2CN planes at Whittier later this month. Are you bringing your own fuel?

Mike
remember ,a race is only 100 laps  .if u practice more than 3 full tanks at a time u will not have the correct setting for a race
one of the problems is the engine cooling off after it is in the air  seeing as u cant add a cowling to the engine ,a good way to control the heat is to add o'rings to the upper cyl to keep the heat in the engine
rad racer

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 03:54:59 PM »
Hi Mike

It's been so long I can't remember what a good airspeed is. I just tried to get a setting that didn't go over while still getting around 33+ laps.

Like Bob said, these airplanes lose heat out of the engine very quickly during the shutoff glide compared to a fully cowled F2C. The "O" rings do help some, but trying to retain the correct level of heat from one pit to the next has been problematic for me over the years. We just don't fly these things enough.

My fuel is around 5 years old, so I don't think it's worth bringing. If you guy's can get the ether, then I have some Kero, oil and Dii.

Les

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 07:04:15 PM »
Les, you can probably pick up any fuel ingredients you need from Bill Lee while you're in Dallas. Heck, you could even check with your California pals and see if you need to bring anything to them.

BB

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 09:58:41 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, Bobber. That's good input.

We have Mike working on getting a consistent routine down. Once we could get an occasional restart or two, we added a countdown timer. One of the deals in the practice sessions has been to emulate the pit warm-up, the 2:00 minute race warmup, and then 100 laps worth. All that heat management stuff. We'll let you know if we ever get any good at it. Might have to start ordering ether in 55 gal drums to make that happen.

Next on the program is for the pitman to leave a bit of brainspace for situational awareness to know what lap we are on. Pilot can't help him out during a race....

The Profi seems to be less sensitive to heat loss from the glide lap than I recall for the AAC Nelson I have in my plane. Been a couple years since I've been able to fly that one, so maybe we'll see at the get-together how they compare side by side. Been running O-rings on the AAC Nelson because it definitely helped. Have some rings for the Profi, but from what I can see so far, they won't be as useful.

We're still working on the fine tuning of a raceable setting. We've discussed the difference, but getting it just right for traffic....we have a ways to go. Pitman is still working on the "ear" to know when it's going to hold, or go over.

Of course, all of our recent practice has been in the San Fernando Valley in the summer. Always at least 80F and up to 115F on the pavement. I expect to have to change the routine a bit as the temps drop....

The best Nelson I've seen for F2CN was the old steel liner engine. That version would take a setting and hold it with no problem at all--seemingly no thermal management issue whatsoever. It has a whole different character. Maybe not as fast when both were on, but reliable enough to win more often than not. Not sure if that is what Les has or not, but we have pretty good luck with his plane in the past.

My plane, underneath all the dust, used to fly really well. As I recall the speed was ok, but it never had good laps. I think I put the smallest venturi that Henry had in it. Anyone remember the numbers? I always needed an extra pit to finish which ain't no good a'tall.

Mike switched out the gear leg on his plane for last weekend's practice. Got the wheel back another 1/8" using a ti strut I had. Landings improved--now we just have to find him a competent pilot to fix any remaining bounces, wobbles, and erratic arrivals. The plane is a tad heavy, but flies very nicely. A bit harder to slow down, and not quite the stormin' terror coming out of the pit. (Which is ok with this test pilot.)

Anyway, we're still mixin' up fuel and running the tank empty. Looking forward to seeing how the other equipment does....

Divot McSlow

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 11:27:30 PM »
Hi Mike

It's been so long I can't remember what a good airspeed is. I just tried to get a setting that didn't go over while still getting around 33+ laps.

Like Bob said, these airplanes lose heat out of the engine very quickly during the shutoff glide compared to a fully cowled F2C. The "O" rings do help some, but trying to retain the correct level of heat from one pit to the next has been problematic for me over the years. We just don't fly these things enough.

My fuel is around 5 years old, so I don't think it's worth bringing. If you guy's can get the ether, then I have some Kero, oil and Dii.

Les

I have another liter of Ether on the way. We are mixing 35%E/12% benoil/53% kerosene plus 20ml or so DII per liter. No TEL.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 07:26:46 AM »
For future reference, try Maxima 927 motorcycle oil. It virtually eliminates carbon buildup inside the engine, so no more disassembly and cleaning after each flying session. It's much easier to get a setting when you start with a setting from last time, rather than a freshly assembled engine with no setting.

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 03:32:59 PM »
Hi Bill

Thanks for the tip.

Les

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here