News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:45:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need a person to work on my Diesel engines, Who may I contact?  (Read 15151 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    Hello.

i need two venturm to be made for my 1960's ETA .15 Diesel engines.

One engine has a threaded hole in the backplate and the other has what appears to be a venturi from a TD .09 or .15. complete with a Cox reed valve.   This venturi is missing the fuel ring and nva.

I think that these engines were built to compete in Team Race in the 60's.  I also picked up Some ST G20/.15 engines set up for team race.  These too must have been an attempt to fly FAI Team Race in the 60's.

I just want to use these Diesels for sport flying. 

In any case, whom may I contact for these items?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline qaz049

• Commander
Re: Need a person to work on my Diesel engines, Who may I contact?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 10:10:21 PM »
    Hello.

i need two venturm to be made for my 1960's ETA .15 Diesel engines.

One engine has a threaded hole in the backplate and the other has what appears to be a venturi from a TD .09 or .15. complete with a Cox reed valve.   This venturi is missing the fuel ring and nva.

I think that these engines were built to compete in Team Race in the 60's.  I also picked up Some ST G20/.15 engines set up for team race.  These too must have been an attempt to fly FAI Team Race in the 60's.

I just want to use these Diesels for sport flying. 

In any case, whom may I contact for these items?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Back then it was common to fit Venturi and Banjo/NVA from Cox TD's to .15 size team race diesels. Just check the ID of the threaded holes. If it's about 1/4" then it's TD 049, 5/16" is Cox TD 09, and Cox TD .15 is about 3/8". The 049 size was perfectly adequate and you still should be able to get them. Try a standard glow plug in the hole, it's 1/4" x 32 tpi as well. These should be available from Cox International still.

The TD 09 and .15 sizes occasionally turn up on ebay. There are modern replacements for the 09 size but they are spares for modern diesels and cost a motza.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 04:43:25 AM »
     Hi Gaz049:

Thanks for the help.  I will check to see if a T.D. venturi will fit.

The one engine has the Cox reed valve installed in a custom backplate!

Stay well my friend,

Frank

p.s. One of the ST G/20 15 engines has a TD .049 venturi and nva mounted on the engine. I hope that all of these run! Lol

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 01:21:56 PM »
Actually the TR setups usually cut down the total hp of the engine in search of fuel economy.  Also they were all set up to run on suction so they should perform just great.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 12:07:28 PM »

no one has mentioned that the ETA needs to be mounted inverted because of the locatin f the venturie
rad racer

Offline qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 11:12:37 PM »

no one has mentioned that the ETA needs to be mounted inverted because of the locatin f the venturie

Not necessarily a problem if it has a Cox carby assembly.

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 02:02:50 PM »

The ETA disc has alternative pick-up points for the crankpin to enable various orientations of the venturi.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 05:01:43 PM »
The ETA disc has alternative pick-up points for the crankpin to enable various orientations of the venturi.

Thank you Ian, I thought that was the case.

Offline qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 05:02:25 PM »

Thank you Ian, I thought that was the case.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 09:07:51 AM »

can u send me pictures of ths back of the engines at  f2cracer@aol.com
rad racer

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 11:09:04 PM »
' Edmonds ' intakes for ETAs were Alumn. and used TD NVA & thingo. were numbered 1 , 2 , or 3 . Were same fred as oliver Tiger intake & interchangeable .
If backplates Edmods modified He Chamfered the  l.e. & t.e. of the cut-out / port on the disc. might I.D. it .

Suposed theye better used than neglected. A GOODYEAR would be Good. D>K all the rage , Diesel Goodyear - here ( Aus. ) & N.Z.

Make sure you use damn good Castor Oil , a good 20 % 7 dont thrash em to within an inch of there life . Back off & ritchen just a notch .
S&J reconed 15.500 on a cut down top flite 8 x 4 . 7 5/8 . Mine pull that , tiny carbs & one stock Elite .

Frow some pictures up here , please.

Anyone know where to get good alloy circular belcranks with a alloy bucket mount , to fit in the wing . please .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here