News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:22:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to remove old castor oil from cylinder and contra piston?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    Hi All:

How does on remove dried castor oil from the cylinder and contra piston?  As I type this, I hav about 7 old Diesel Team Race engines that have stuck contra pistons.

On the first engines that I attempted to run after cleaning, I noticed that thecontra was immovable.  I tried to remove the 40 year old castor oil from the cylinder anhd contra piston with steel wool and penetrating oil to no avail!  How may I remove this oil?

When one crock pots an engine, does one starby cooking the entire engine prior to taking it apart n the past, I disassembled the engine and then crock potted it in hopes of cleaning the engine.  Recently, I havhad no good luck with a crok pot!

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
Re: How to remove old castor oil from cylinder and contra piston?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 06:40:03 PM »
On quite a few old engines, after getting them apart .... cleaning them was a breeze using Dawn Power Dissolver.  If they are really stuck, the crock pot method is the way to go.

Even making the outside of the engines look new ... Dawn works great.

http://www.dawn-dish.com/us/dawn/product/037000006329

Offline Robert Bolton

• Lieutenant
    • Noclass Mac
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 01:18:47 AM »
With the new 3 mm venturi rule the engines carbon up real quick. We use the CLR product in the black bottle ( oil and grease remover i think) and soak the piston and liner ( head is integral with the liner) for a few hours and the carbon just wipes off with a rag or paper cloth.

Robert

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 10:59:31 PM »
In the Aeromuddler Mag. they go on about cleaning the ETAs insides with a worn scotckbrite / 3M pad .
presumeably the GREEN ones . NOW the SUPERMARKET stocks CHINESE ones . This is just not good enough .
Used to have 3M .

ANYWAY , they NOTED ; NOT to clean the very outer edge of the top / crown .
Refered to as ' delacquering ' .

why they ran a drop of STP in the fuel was to slow build up . the big aces ' delacquered ' for Ea. meeting ,
reconed it could cost 10 mph.

As these are ancient  S?P engines , and F2C , its obviously proportable to post CLASSIC F2C stuff here .  :!
been sorting through the olde magazines and catalougeing tripe . A TRS  MVVS wouldnt go amiss , if mint .  VD~

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here