News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:36:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: YGE, YEG, RotorStar settings  (Read 8688 times)

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
YGE, YEG, RotorStar settings
« on: December 12, 2015, 03:17:58 PM »
just a shot, anyone have any experience with the above ESC's using the Hubin Timers?

mine work great on the KR units but I can not get past the initial 2 sec. run up when you initialise the Timer. They just sit there after the initial quick motor blip and do nothing.
I e-mailed Mr. Hubin about it and he is scratching his head also.
All other brands of ESC's I have work great with the Hubin Timers I have.
I did send am E-mail to YGE to see if they even thought about having some one use their products for CL flying. Awaiting an answer from them at some future time.

Maybe someone out there in deep space has tried to use any of these ESC's............. ???

thanks much guys.

thanks much

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: YGE, YEG, RotorStar settings
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 03:20:46 PM »
I vaguely remember Keith R. making a comment that some of the cheap Chinese ESCs need to see the stick go full up and then go full down before they arm.  I don't know if that has anything to do with your issue, though.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 03:54:49 PM »
remember, control line use    what transmitter sticks??   H^^
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »
remember, control line use    what transmitter sticks??   H^^

I know that.  Does the ESC know that?

KR timer outputs go to full throttle, then idle, then they start their dance, specifically for cheap Chinese ESCs.  I would hope that the Hubin timer does that, but I don't know if it does.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 05:11:32 PM »
Tim

they kind of do in a way. mainly to let you know that they are armed.

but like I said, after the blipping is done, nothing happens with these esc's.

Maybe the folks at YGE will have some kind of an idea.  
But, I got a sneeky suspision that on all these ESC's they REQUIRE a transmitter for just that reason.

Later for now

Carl
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:30:19 PM by Carl Cisneros »
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 05:17:44 PM »
But, I got a sneeky suspision that one all these ESC's they REQUIRE a transmitter for just that reason.

mine work great on the KR units

Eh?  A equals B and B equals C but A does not equal C?  Sorry, does not compute.

To review: these ESCs work great with a KR timer, but they don't work with a Hubin timer, but they require a transmitter?  So, what's a KR timer then?  Chopped liver?
AMA 64232

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 05:34:28 PM »
all 3 types of these esc's work great with the KR timer BUT not so with the Hubin timers I have.
BUT other esc's I have (other manufacturers) work great on both the KR and Hubin ESC's I have.
as we use to say in the AF, it is just FM,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Even Will Hubin has been scratching his head on this one.

Carl

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 06:04:13 PM »
I learned about the whole full throttle then low throttle fandango from Keith, when I was having my own problems with the TUT.  You might want to ask Will if he does that, or if he just expects you to use a more uptown ESC with his timer.
AMA 64232

Offline John Tate

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 08:41:26 AM »
Carl,
I am playing with two YEP ESC's on a twin with a Will Hubin timer.
One of the YEP ESC's does the run up and one does not.
I did the swap with the ESC's and still have the same results.
I guess the quality control is not that great with the cheaper ESC's.

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 10:18:21 AM »
John

please call me at the house or on my cell

Carl

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 11:23:37 AM by Carl Cisneros »
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 10:59:27 AM »
I was using a YEP ESC on one of my Ringmasters until a new pilot totaled it. I had no problems using a Hubin FM9 timer. I can check the settings that I used for the timer if you wish.

The programming instructions for the YEP programming card are confusing and it is easy to think you are programming one set of parameters when in fact you are not! Also the brake function does not work with governing mode!  HB~>
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 11:41:02 AM »
John; (or should I  say both Johns)

I am and only using the FM2-EST Hubin timer for the RotorStar ESC's. I FINALLY got them to fire up
and run. And yes, the brake function does work using that ESC and the YEP programming card.

what I had to do was :  after programming the ESC with the Programming card, I hooked up the ESC to the
FM2-EST timer, hooked up the motor, then hooked up the 4Sbattery.  The ESC did it's arming tones, I hit the
start button, the motor did it's start up little blip thing and THEN after that was done, I turned the RPM pot on the timer from the
minimum setting (the ESC sees this as being off for a transmitter) all the way to MAX RPM for a few seconds (the ESC sees this as being
full throttle on a Transmitter) then I pushed the timers arming button again to stop the motor. (the brake function worked perfectly)

After this was done, I set the RPM pot to about 3/4 turn towards max., reconnected the battery (after setting the flight time to bare minimum), pushed the
arming button again and off she went.  did the little arming blip thing, waited for X amount of Delay time, the motor spun up nice and slow and after the alotted flight time set in, the
the motor slowed a brief second, came back for for a few seconds and then shut off with brake.

That is how I got the new HK RotorStar ESC's to program for the Hubin Timer model I got.

NOW, the FM9 Timer, I do not have any experience with what so ever.  :'(   So, until I get my hands on one to test out on the RotorStar ESC's I am going to
have to suffer with my older model FM2- EST Timer is all.

Also, the RotorStar ESC's work a treat with the KR Timers as well.   #^ #^
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 12:05:02 PM »
Carl,

Yes, the brake should work in airplane mode but does governing also (using the Hubin timer)? You need to set the ESC to helicopter mode to get ESC governing to work and then the brake is disabled.

The Renecle timer does its own governing so it should work fine in airplane mode with brake.
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 01:35:26 PM »
John

I did forget to write that the Rorostars I programmed using the GOV (Heli) settings.

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 04:06:34 PM »
John

I did forget to write that the Rorostars I programmed using the GOV (Heli) settings.

Carl

Humm, Maybe they are not the same as the YEP (Hobby King) ESC that I have.
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 10:22:14 PM »
Hi Carl,

Sorry I missed your post when it came out. The throttle "fandango" (nice wording as usual Tim!) that Tim mentions is due to most esc's needing to calibrate the throttle range from the throttle stick on an RC transmitter. They "should" all see low throttle as 1.0 ms and full throttle as 2.0 ms pulse width, but you can extend that range on most R/C systems these days. It's a good idea and Will Hubin's timers use the standard range. It's usually the low throttle setting that cause the esc to sit there and wait. Once it is set however, like you figured out for yourself, then it should be o.k.

I've tested a few of the low cost esc governors and although I have not tried the YEP, I have tried Scorpion, the fancier Hobbywing's and the ZTW governors. They are quite slow to respond and usually have a top end cut off at around 80% throttle. If you can work in the limited range of the top end, then they should be o.k. if you're not to concerned about the reaction time. This is in fact why you pay more for the CC, Jeti and Schultze esc's.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Mark Knoepfle

• 2016 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 10:18:26 PM »
Keith,
how are you measuring the reaction time from the input at the ESC to the output to the motor? What sort of time lags do you see in the various ESCs you have checked?

Thank you,
Mark

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 11:25:11 PM »
Well, I have the planes all ready and we can not fracken fly.
Not so much due to the weather here in the N. VA area, but the Fracken FAA has shut down all
flying fields inside the 30 fracken mile radius of Reagan NationalAirport.

Do I sound frackenticked off??  what do you think?

All model flying has come to s fracken screeching halt.........................

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here