News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:06:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Cookbook?  (Read 1439 times)

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
The Cookbook?
« on: November 26, 2022, 09:00:07 PM »
I am just starting to get a handle on some of the electric stuff. I going to try and go electric.
I have downloaded and digested the cook book.

Just wondering if it needs updating. With all the new products that are available maybe some things are needing updated.

I am definitely not the person to do it though. 😉
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The Cookbook?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 12:03:43 AM »
My only suggestion is that the cookbook was written before many of the active timers in use today.  You do things a bit differently with an active timer but, since I am only one generation removed from being the new kid on the block with them, I will leave that to others if you are headed that route from the start.  My advice would be to keep the first one very simple and cheap at least till you make most of the dumb mistakes we all made learning electric.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 03:30:42 AM »
Norm Whittle's cookbook is still valid for its intended product use, which is for programming Hubin FM-9 Timers and Castle ESC's in Hi-Governor mode.

For the active timers like those from Igor Burger and Fiorotti, you will just have to rely on the info supplied by the designers and the community of users.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 06:59:09 AM »
programming Hubin FM-9 Timers and Castle ESC's in Hi-Governor mode.
To combine my comment with Brent's - Start With that combination. y1

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 07:02:12 AM »
Paul,
Since you are just starting in electric you can do a very simple setup that will work really well until you reach expert level in competition. Just use the control line mode in the ESC (I use Castle ESC's). Set for fixed rpm, set the rpm you want in all three throttle sections (make sure you set the cutoff for sensitive and fast, this saves the ESC if you have a prop stopping event). Set the brake to fast and 90%ish. Now use the timer set to 100% throttle in all sections, use the timer just to set the start delay (I use 20 sec) and flight time.

This system setup gives you power as needed to pull vertical and brake as the ship goes downhill. Electrics by nature add power as the load increases and reduces it as the load comes off, they hold a pretty constant speed. After you get a little more familiar with how electrics work you can add the other more complex stuff.

Best,    DennisT

Offline smithms3

• New Pilot
  • Mark S. Smith
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 12:30:15 PM »
I am starting out with electric and maybe you can point me in the right direction.  I am using a CC Talon ESC coupled with a Hubin FM-9 timer.  My problem is that I have been unable to command the RPM I want.  I am using the Control Line Vehicle Type which does not allow for an RPM setting within the ESC; I am setting RPM using the Hubin Timer.  My system should be able to achieve over 12,000 rpm (1100 KV motor / 3S LiPo) but I have not been able to exceed 10,000 RPM.

Lowering the RPM setting in the timer below 10,000 RPM permits control down to approximately 7,000 RPM but anything above 10,000 RPM is effectively ignored.

Thanks for the suggestions on brake cutoff settings.

Regards, Mark Smith

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 08:15:58 PM »
Could be the Scotty effect. “I’ve given her all she’s got, Captain. She canna go any faster”. Have you tried a smaller diameter/lower pitch prop?
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline smithms3

• New Pilot
  • Mark S. Smith
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2023, 04:59:51 PM »
Thanks for the 'nudge', CircuitFlyer.  I had considered it but felt I had a matched setup but with your comment I went back and double-checked.  It looks like I am on the ragged edge or just beyond - definitely to the point that if anything loads up the ESC will not be able to hold RPM; the Star Trek reference was spot on.

My line length is already longer than I would like so I plan to lower the commanded RPM (to a more reasonable value), confirm/change my line length for the desired lap time, and test the setup.  Weather permitting, I may get a shot tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here